The All Inclusive PC Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Cracka J, Nov 14, 2013.

1. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Yeah but how much will a ROG 3080ti be lol

I dunno, i been thinking about video cards lately and hate that they will never just release the newest fastest tech available. They're sitting on years and years of pre-developed tech they release slowly over time, each one a little better than the last just to make money. Which is good and all for them I guess, gotta make money like the rest of us.

But im sure they have chipsets ready to be built well into the 60 series already.

I looked at the 2080ti and thought, no way next years video card will just blow it out of the water, and so forth and so on.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  2. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And here I thought i'd be keeping my 1080Ti in my main rig.

NVidia's successfully made me rethink my approach.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    The pricing for once isn’t super terrible. I have an RTX 2060, I don’t plan on replacing it but the idea of selling it and getting a 3080 is tempting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Same here, I just bought a 2070 for the long haul and intend to stick with it. By the time I'd considering spending the money for a upgrade, they'd probably be in the RTX 50 or 60 series.

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I don't really think it's going to be necessary to replace 20 series cards in the near future if your not chasing high resolutions or framerates, DLSS is probably going to keep them in the game for longer then you would have expected from cards in the past.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Still rocking my 980ti despite upgrading everything else a few months back after seeing how much stores were asking for the 2080 etc and deciding I can wait. Totally the right move. As soon as pre-orders go live I'll jump on a 3080. But I'm interested to see what other venders have to offer just to see what other coolers are like and their price points

• Like Like x 1
  7. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Its a good time to update though since the games are all taking a giant leap in rendering with the Raytracing apsect. Over the next year or so the games are gonna start looking reaaaallly cool, you'll want a good card to get the sick graphics!

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I’ve just got a bog standard GTX1080, and that was a hand me down from my brother when he got the 2080Ti. So that 3070 is looking mighty tempting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think AMD has everyone running scared. Their prices are very competitive, their graphics are really catching up and allow even an Ultrabook with no capability for a dedicated GPU to game and do so relatively well. Intel's cornered the market on ultrasmall PCs and gimmicks of that nature and Nvidia pretty much dominates graphics, but... Man oh, man. AMD is really shaking things up. I don't think we would've seen RTX anything at this price, right out of the gate.

People laugh at such things, but I really do think AMD is what's causing this. And we should be glad.

10. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

AMD has also secured the console market which is massive. This obviously gives them an advantage to drive prices down and stick it to Intel and Nvidia.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    If this is what is produced by then sticking it to nVidia then I hope they keep doing it.

12. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

The DLSS technology is going to be interesting if it delivers the performance it promises. The 30 series GPUs will be useful to those looking for a relatively inexpensive upgrade from a 10 series video card.

But...

PCI Gen 4 is limited for now. 24 GB in the top end card is kind of nuts. I feel that they are building for the future. 11 or 12 Gen Intel CPUs will probably run PCI Gen 4.

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The current Ryzen chips are running PCI-E Gen 4 are they not?

14. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Yes, but no Intel support yet. Once Intel gets on board, PCI Gen 4 will get on like a house on fire.

15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    That’s a bit rough, getting held hostage by Intel. But when you’re the big dog, you’re the big dog I guess.

Still, that 3070 looks like it would make me a very happy bunny for the next decade so that’s probably where I’m gonna aim unless a really, really good deal on a 3080 appears.

16. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I finally got a 4k screen capable of 120 hertz and found my SLI 1080s can't keep up on modern games. Primarily because they just ditch SLI all together, but in any case I've been chasing 120 fps in current titles by lowering settings and ultimately the resolution. So I am all over a 30 series. Now it just depends on how much I can save and what availability looks like when I'm ready to buy.

• Like Like x 2
  17. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Selling your old cards should help a bit to put towards the new one. I ran dual ROG 980 Matrix's a few years back, that was interesting, didn't see a huge boost though for the price compared to just running one card. It sure looked cool though!

18. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    The main reason I got an SLI setup is to crunch numbers on aerial maps. But the gaming aspect was icing on the cake. SLI never did quite live up to the hype and thats a good indication of why it has faded away.

The only problem I have with selling them is that I have nephews that are into PC gaming. They will get first dibs and there is no way I can charge them market price. I will practically give them away in that case.

• Like Like x 2
  19. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    God, i'm thinking of taking this position with my 1080Ti FTW3. Just wonder how i'd price it, and hopefully someone on eBay will jump. Not sure if I even still have the box, haha. Been kinda on the fence since while i'm planning to upgrade my main rig, which was a regardless path before the new 30XX reveals, but now i'm at a crossroads since I originally planned to put my Ti in a rig comprised of all my old parts to put in my closet as a central part of a makeshift VO studio. But now having the opportunity to put what is essentially a 2080Ti with a lucky silicon lottery pick with next-gen hardware and software, it's tempting.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I have no doubt that RDNA2 in its various forms is why Nvidia have cut prices and that AMD are going to significantly close the gap on raster performance, but I don't think that Nvidia are actually scared of them breaking into their strongholds when they have such a huge lead on Raytracing and Machine Learning. More that it's just stopped them from gouging customers on prices just because they could, which is something that Nvidia and Intel were both very guilty of in the 2010s.

I defiantly think that the 3060 is going to have a rough ride though, if AMD can ship a card with PS5/XBSX performance for 50+ less then it's going to hoover up all the customers that want to keep up with the latest games but don't want to spend more money for the latest features or more performance.

Intel Xe is going to something to keep an eye on as well. Not at the top end in the near future, but it's going to make things very spicy when it comes to gaming laptops.

Competition is always good, both the CPU and GPU markets are all the better now that AMD is actually turning up to the party again. I don't think i've been this hyped about new graphics technology and videocards since Crysis.

DLSS is already delivering on current cards and it's only going to keep getting better.

RTX IO and DirectStorage will probably help mitigate the situation with PCIe right now, but I think that's going to change pretty quickly now as the consoles are going to force the issue. It makes total sense for these cards to support Gen 4 since they are the proper next generation rather then an intermediary step like the 20 series.

• Like Like x 1