The All Inclusive PC Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Cracka J, Nov 14, 2013.

1. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

Injustice Ultimate Edition is free on Steam! So is Xbox One and PS4. The Xbox has the standard edition though...

2. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I'm in the market for a gaming PC and... it's not going well. This is a more stressful researching phase than cars or phones ever were.

I'm looking at the Helios 300 (the 2020 and 2019 models are the same price on Amazon right now, but I've heard the 10th Gen intel processors offer more than they do performance improvement over the 9th Gen) and the Mag-15 (which is also at Best Buy as the "XPG Adata Xenia."

The Adata has less VRAM but better battery, a huge SSD and an IR camera (which is a nice plus). The Helios is very well reviewed though. The other stuff I've looked at has little things I don't care for, but could potentially overlook (the below-display webcam on Razer Blades and Tracers, loud fans or poor batteries). The one thing I'm a little more concerned about is color accuracy.

3. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you're going Intel, 10th generation is the way to go. AMD, you want 3000/4000 series systems.

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Man do I feel you; I'm planning an upgrade and its been so long since I've had the income to keep up with the Joneses on this stuff, and I'm honestly unsure if I should go a 10th Gen Intel i7 or get a Ryzen 9.

5. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    It sounds like Ryzen is the way to go, but there aren't many AMD options for laptops.

I've been to two Best Buy hoping to find the Adata but no luck. The Razer Blade was there though, and it gave me some hope that the screens might not be so bad.

MSI has a 4K laptop with a 2070 in it for 1700, but that's a little out of my budget. Pretty though.

6. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Anyone have experience with Apexgaming parts? I'm considering a Apexgaming AG Series Gaming Power Supply (750w), mainly due to the lack of stock of similar units from more familiar power supplies.

7. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Woof, that’s a beauty and a beast. I’m lucky in that my desktop is what I need to upgrade rather than my laptop

8. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    This guy looks like he's going to be my winner.

9. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    The Laptop I wanted isn't shipping anymore, and there's no stores in 250 Mike's that have it to pick up. So I'm just not getting a laptop this year. It was a stupid idea in the first place.

10. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    Have you tried Amazon? They can surprise you with their sales. Shipping would be free, and if you're a Prime member, you can get it in two days or less.
    Microcenter ships some items, as well.
    Even Dell and HP custom build PCs and ship 'em.

EDIT: Here you go. Amazon, with those specs. https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=Intel+Core+i7+-+32GB+Memory+-+NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+1660+Ti+-+1TB+SSD&rh=p_85%3A2470955011&s=price-asc-rank&dc&qid=1593805199&rnid=2470954011&ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  11. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  12. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

News Credits:
    Real quick, anyone have any recommendation for a PC case? For this part replacement thing I was thinking of, I knew for sure my 780T had to go, haha.

The Dark Bases have definitely caught my eye, same with some Cooler Master and Fractal stuff.

13. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

There's so many cool cases to chose from, just make sure your goods fit, and you can see em! :p 

14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Okay, so my brother just dropped a shocking amount of money on a new desktop setup, but from that I'm getting his old GTX1080. To that end, I have decided on the following core component upgrades:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT Processor
    ASUS ROG Strix B550-E Gaming Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL18 DDR4 (x2)

I figured all that, with a 1080, would see me into the next few years minus the ability to do ray tracing as well as the RTX series of cards.

EDIT: I tell a filthy untruth, its just a standard GTX1080, not a Titan. Still a kick ass card though.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    That's a beefy setup. Nicely done. Honestly, Ray Tracing isn't quite where it needs to be, even still. Some computers can utilize it "enough", but it bogs down resources. It's like HDR for TVs...really nice, but not quite there, yet. We're getting there, though. Call me when Ray Tracing is ready for primetime and then I'll worry about it. I like my games to look great when possible, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it just being "ooh...pretty". Sometimes, I miss the simplicity of old skool games, they just worked.

Congrats on the upgrade, should be incredible!

16. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

The GTX1080 will due ya for a while, it'll play most games with max settings.

Ray Tracing is a very lovely feature and realism brought to video games. If you're upgrading your video card, splurge the extra money and get one that supports Ray Tracing. They're all going to support it eventually anyways. Don't play something like Battlefield V which came out before the RTX cards did and was an after thought, look at the newer games that have implemented it very well.

I'm running an RTX2080 and playing through Modern Warfare was a a great experience, I've played pretty much all the COD games, but this one was a whole other level. I've been playing with the Minecraft RTX Beta as well and its pretty nuts. I've been playing Minecraft since it came out, and I couldn't imagine ever going back.

As far as resources go, I've literally cranked every setting in every game so far and no bogging down at all. Not even the slighest bit. The rest of my system is like 4 or 5 years old now, an ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer, 32gb ram and a 250gb M.2 drive, I bought that the first year they came out.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  17. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

News Credits:
    Not bad, Gordon! Still rocking my FTW3 1080Ti and couldn't be happier, myself.

If I may, the only thing I would have changed is your RAM. Either Dominator Platinum RGB or Trident Z Neo. Though I myself do have some Vengeance RGB Pro sticks and have nothing but praise to say about them. You're rocking with one hell of a rig, my friend. Godspeed.

18. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    My preferred store sold it as a bundle, so buying it like that saved me $150. I’m gonna drop another 32GB into it after I get it up and running anyway. I mean my games won’t use it but the ripping and encoding I do probably will.

19. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

News Credits:
    Totally understand.

64 gigs, hoo boy. I'm thinking of beefing up to those kinds of levels once I make the switch to Ryzen, myself.

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Okay so after three weekends of doing other computers, I finally built mine. I was a bit disappointed I couldn’t put both fans on my cooler cos the RAM sticks were too tall, but otherwise it has proven to be a quick and beautiful machine so far.

I’m keeping an eye on the temps because the Ryzen 9s recommend water cooling which I’m super reluctant to do because I’m old and new tech scares me :p . I’ll probably be okay since I chose a Noctua for my cooler and their reputation is very good for air cooling.

• Like Like x 1