The all encompassing "I LOVE PSP!" thread by IheartArcee!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by McBradders, Mar 3, 2008.

1. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Taken from the 2 year old thread bumped with this post...

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was wondering about that zombie thread. I almost got out my Thriller CD. That said. My PSP has been getting more play time than my PS3 and 360 lately. Patapon, Wipeout, God of War (Wednesday), Silent Hill, Ace Combat, Ratchet and Clank, and (for me) Dungeons and Dragons Tactics. Jeanne D'arc, and Brave Story. The system has picked up much steam since the orginal thread was started.

3. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Kratos!!

4. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I need Patapon and Ratchet and Clank...It seems that I am never in the mood to play my PSP. How sad :( 

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jeanne D'arc is an excellent game too, you should check it out. 30 bucks too, it's a steal.

6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't particularly care about platforms, though I would rather play good games on a TV. That said, the PSP has some good games, which recently for me have included Silent Hill Origins, Castlevania X Chronicles, FF Tactics, and soon FF7 Crisis Core. So, what matters to me is good games, and it's accumulated quite a few at this point and I believe it's worth having.

7. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    As I have always said.

The PSP is all fine and dandy if you want it for purposes other than gaming (though it does have some great titles available to it now). If you don't care for the multimedia...go for the DS, as its library is much more solid.

Now with that Chains of Olympus pack coming out in June..I'll definitely be picking it up. It is a great deal, and one I don't think I could pass up. This is, pretty much the reason I have been waiting on getting a PSP. Until now nothing has been able to justify its purchase.

8. McBradders

PSP rocks, if anyone thinks otherwise then they are totally wrong!

Patapon.
    Parappa.
    Megamans.
    Castlevanias.
    Socoms.
    Internet.
    Voice over IP.
    Camera.

WHERE DOES IT END?!

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have felt exactly the opposite about the DS though. Until FF12 Revant Wings and Zelda, I have felt the DS was just the system for ports that no one acknowledged. I mean the launch title was Mario 64. But with Revant wings and Final Fantasy 4 remake, as well as phantom hourglass, the DS is becoming more attractive. Like the Wii, I bought a DS and it sat there collecting dust along side my PSP, so I sold it back (I didn't sell the PSP because it was a 4-gig Music/movie player). But the PSP started picking up steam with Killzone, Socom, and Syphon Filter, and now, this year, I can't keep the batteries charged enough on the damn thing, as I switch from one game to another.

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    You must've been looking up the wrong games on the DS then.

The Ace Attorney series. Hotel Dusk. Trauma Center. Elite Beat Agents. Diamond and Pearl. The list goes on.

The vast majority of PSP games (espescially in the first couple years) were most nothing but watered down console games. As I have said though, this (thankfully) seems to not be so much the case nowadays.

11. McBradders

THIS!

Other than EBA those games you listed are so not what I want to play.

Hell the first and only game I had on the DS was Animal Crossing, and I got pissed off with that pretty fast.

DAMN YOU TOM NOOK!

12. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I can understand that. Point and click adventure games tend to be a very niche genre. There are a fair few I didn't bother mentioning though that are some of the better ones for the DS (Advanced Wars, Metroid, Dementium [to an extent]). The DS also has the single best Mario Kart game to date, and the first new SMB game since the SNES days.

Ah Animal Crossing, was fun while it lasted. It just gets to a point sometimes where there is nothing to do. Hopefully the Wii version will work out better, so long as Nintendo gets wifi working right.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But watered down console games is exactly that negative PR that I am referring to. I mean the DS launched with an almost 10 year old game. And the SP had nothing but Zelda ports until Minish cap came out. The same can be said about all the mario and megaman ports on the older system.

And kinda like what "Press A" said, those games you listed might have someone's interests, but point and click games were only good on the PC in the days of The Dig and Day of the Tentacle. I'm not really into those kind of games. I don't care about performing surgery or being a lawyer. I will say Hotel was awesome, but that's simply from my love of Noir.

And then there's Final Fantasy 6 on DS, another Port. Yoshi's Island. These games have been played before. The PSP didn't launch with Ports, it launched with sequels. Wipe out was not a port, it was a new game, as was Twisted Metal. Just because they are sequels to existing games, doesn't make them ports. Mario 64 was a port with a new playable character.

14. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

The PSP is a great system. But you are missing out on one of biggest games on the system.

Monster Hunter. I have put to many hours in to that series. Monster hunter is just a port from the PS2 but monster hunter 2 is totly new and awesome.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The GBA had exactly one Megaman port. Megaman & Bass, which was never available in english before the GBA version. the entire Zero series and Battle Network series were exclusive to the GBA. the GBA also had two new metroid games, and a great Mario Kart game as well.

Final Fantasy 6 is not available on the DS. Final Fantasy 3 is, but that was never available in english before the DS release. even then, The Final Fantasy games on the DS are not ports, they are remakes. if you're going to call them ports, then great remakes on the PSP like Dracula X Chronicles, and both Megaman games should be considered "ports" too and apparently dismissed because of it. The yoshi's island game for DS is not a port. it is a sequel.

as for talking about the DS' launch, yeah, it launched with a port of a rather ancient game, and a bunch of crap games. it's first year was equally terrible, with very few good games.
    The PSP also had a bad launch with tons of crap games, and it's first year was terrible too, with very few good games.

16. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Well, technically SM64 had three new PCs, but that's just being nitpicky.

Yeah, it launched with a port.

That's one game.

I'm actually having a hard time finding many ports for the DS. Sure there are crossplatform titles, but those aren't the same thing as ports.

In fact, looking at my DS games....none of them are ports (well I guess technically Ace Attorney 1-3 are, but hey..), and none of the ones I have owned sans SM64 were.

Also, I'm not arguing necessarily against the PSP. As I said, I am going to be picking one up this summer.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, you're actually right about those, and I forgot FF6 was on SP not DS. But the things is that there are no more new IP's on DS than there are on PSP. They are doing the same things with the exception of the Point and Click games, and those aren't for everyone.

Final Fantasy 4 is a remake, in the way CaslteVania X is, but that's why I'm saying, it's good PR (or bad for Sony) to call one system what the other is as well.

Ever since launch the PSP has been named a system for ports, but the games coming out for it are new games based on a popular game on the console, ie. Socom, Killzone, MX vs ATV. I'm not arguing that either is better than the other, because it does come down to games, but the PSP is hardly this poor little system void of games while the DS is littered with hundred's of quality titles. They are both filled with "me too" games, with the occasional original game, but all based on past franchises.

Another example of this "bad/good" PR is how quiet Nintendo is when the argument "PS3 has no games" comes out. How can that argument be used against the system when there are dozens of new original +8.0 in the ratings games, and when the Wii is sitting around waiting for Smash Brothers, while everyone plays Wii sports for the 1000 time.

The DS is an awesome little system, and I plan on getting one when FF4 comes out, but it is no more or less guilty than the PSP at having a lack of games. I can promise you that if you check IGN or Gamespot and sort list by ratings (above 8.0) you will find just as many, if not more PSP games with high reviews than DS ones. And most of the games on the DS side, with Plus (8.0), are just followups to older games, much like the PSP's lineup. In other words, no one can really cast stones.

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I own both systems, and I have six games for PSP, and not a single one is a 100% original creation for the PSP. is that bad? I don't think so. why should it be bad? They're good games, so I have them. I have fourteen DS games, and four are techincally ports. Super Mario 64, and you can consider the first three ace attourney games to be GBA ports, even though we never got the GBA versions here.

but can I really say I favor one system over another? no. I love them both equally, and I would never want to be without either one.

19. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Personally, the only reason that I got a PSP is that it was free. It was a DIY, some assembly required, make-it-work-and-you-can-keep-it deal, but still, if it wasn't for that, I'd never own one. It's got some games I want, Ace Combat, MGS, and some puzzle games, but honestly, it's just not revolutionary in any way. It's "pioneering" is that it combines all these multimedia stuff into one. I mean, it's a game player, but also, it plays music. Doesn't do it as well as a dedicated MP3 player, but it does. It watches movies. Not as well as a device made for watching movies, but it works. It surfs the internet. Not as well as, say, an iPod Touch, but it gets you from one point to the other without too much hassle.

The DS, on the other hand, changed the way we play handheld games. The advent of the dual screen and touch screen mechanics was unprecedented, and despite people being skeptical at first, Nintendo has made a ton of money off of it.

20. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    The DS is much friendlier to new IPs. You get some great new games on PSP (Loco Roco, Patapon, Dead Head Fred), but they really haven't taken off. On DS, you get Ace Attorney going into its fourth game, Trauma Centre just got a sequel, Elite Beat Agents / Oendan, there's a whole list.

That being said, I have never been at a loss for psp content. I cannot fathom ever having nothing to play/watch/read/listen to. That's why I don't bother with any other systems.