The AFA Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jonnyshaft, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Rockmoreno

Rockmoreno Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I will probably still tinker with display cases, maybe get some detolfs like everyone else. I have a few 85s, two 90s, the bulk is 80s, a couple of 75s and two 70s. It's just great to see them out.

2. Born 2B Alive!

Born 2B Alive! Director Of Entertainment

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed... Amazing figures!! Very nicely displayed.

3. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Great display, dude

4. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Doesn't anyone find it insulting that most AFA general pictures are of the front of the box? I mean, anyone can put soemthing in a plastic case and say it's nice and graded, but the back could be totaled.

5. mazdaspeed7

mazdaspeed7 Autobot Engineer

Ebay:
    Thats a good Idea Ark, I'll suggest that too them this time as have done that before but to help their stuff up not at the customers request.

Thanks Jon!

Very nice display Rock & probably the best way to display them these days. Styro's are fine standing up but the bubbled figures are best laying them down like you have :) 

6. cartertime

cartertime Well-Known Member

The seekers should be fine to stand up. They have such a large plastic backing area stuck to the card. Correct me if i'm wrong somebody, and quickly, cause mine are all standing up.:eek: 

7. cartertime

cartertime Well-Known Member

Hey Rock, what are the two above Astrotrain?.... Oh and, that is an awesome collection! Very envious!

8. Rockmoreno

Ebay:
    I'll take better pics when I get the chance, but the two you are wondering about are the only non TF AFA items I have: a 95 and a 90 SE Theatre Edition Luke Jedi. My wife & I went to the re-releases of Star Wars in the mid 1990s and they were giveaways. Those were the first items I had graded by AFA. I think it was 2004 or so...

9. mazdaspeed7

Ebay:
    You're not wrong, the bubble on the jets doesn't seem to let go but I have seen the bubble cracked on one so I still lay mine flat to keep the weight off it particularly because they're mostly pre rubs ;) 

10. Rockmoreno

Ebay:
    A common issue with sealed jets is the canopy part of the jet & bubble rubs on the cellophane window of the box. So for saggy windows, laying flat is alright. Upright is decent because of the size & weight.

11. khopson

khopson Well-Known Member

Hey, guys. I'm looking for a bunch of things right now, including quality boxes, display cases, etc. If you check out my sales thread (in my signature), I have a list of wants. I never get any bites in the Junkion section (probably because collectors like us are in the minority), so I thought I'd share here. I don't want to sidetrack this thread, so just shoot me a message if you have something I might need. Thanks.

Also, can someone tell me what's wrong with this picture? There could be more than one thing, but there's something in particular you should notice.

[​IMG]

12. Kenucme

Kenucme Yes, I'd get that one too

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is it the insert? Maybe its the color difference from the picture, but it seems too white. A repro perhaps?

In comparison with other boxed Dirge figures, yours has the small bubble for the weapons and fists tilted diagonal. It seems authentic ones have the small bubble up and down, not tilted.

13. khopson

Bingo. Very good. In some instances, I have to buy repro bubble inserts. This is one of those cases. Dirge is mint/unused and complete with unapplied stickers (which are still wrapped and taped in the original bag). The figure and accessories were sealed in the original bubble, but the bubble was damaged, so I went the repro route. However, as you can see, the smaller bubble for the weapons and fists is tilted at an angle (not up and down like the vintage one). I didn't notice this until after I sealed the damn thing, and I know one of the pictures on the website showed the bubble being like the original. Anyway, I'm turned off by this, so if anyone wants a nice MIB Dirge, feel free to hit me up. I'll give you a good deal. :) 

By the way, Kenucme, I'm in the West End of Richmond (not too far from you). Small world.

Edit: Here are a few group shots of my collection. The pics are lousy due to the glare and lighting. This isn't everything in my collection, but it's a good chunk of it, and I have more on the way, too. In fact, I just added the first minibot to my collection. It's a pre-rub Brawn (at the bottom of this post). This one has the face variant, which were the first pre-rubs released (I believe).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. mazdaspeed7

Ebay:
    You know when I see pictures like that for me it really isn't matter of whether it's graded, mib, misb, repro bubbled or what ever way you cut it, that is a beautiful sight to be hold. The box art is so time period specific & was nothing short of brilliant. Then for a F-15 jet to turn into a robot...my 8 year old mind at Xmas was officially blown! That is an epic path to head down if you are collecting MOSC pre rub minis my man. They are the best though ;)  Is that one restuck to the card or still sealed? Nice pick up either way, can't wait to see a group shot of the mini's when your done :) 

15. khopson

Thanks, Andy. It's still sealed to the card (MOSC), and very nicely, too. There's no lifting that I can see. I don't usually buy carded figures, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on Brawn.

16. mazdaspeed7

Ebay:
    That's awesome Kevin! It's so hard finding mosc pre rub mini's these days. That would get a solid 80 all day & if there are no creases in the card or dents in the bubble it's a contender for the 4th or is it maybe 5th 85 of Brawn out there. :)  I know myself, Krause & da_last has an 85 Brawn. Can't be sure if Cromagnus has one but I'm willing to bet my left nut he does too.

17. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    A word of thanks to everyone who has posted photos in this thread. All these photos bring back so many good memories. It is like standing in a toy shop again as a little child. I check this thread every day, enjoying any new photos posted. Thank you! :) 

18. khopson

I haven't noticed any creases in the card or dents in the bubble, but the bottom right corner of the card does have a slight ding (hard to notice in the picture), so it would probably get an 80. Overall, it's pretty flat and clean, and I was surprised how nice it looked when I received it.

Ditto. This is why I collect. I love seeing all of these figures in their original state, and I cherish those days as a kid walking down the TF aisle of the toy store. Seeing figures graded and displayed in nearly pristine condition (by others here) is second to none.

How about a little Trailbreaker love while we're at it. He's not one of the sexier vehicles (or the fastest as he would say), but he's tough. Here's a pre-rub version of him.

[​IMG]

19. mazdaspeed7

Ebay:
    Here's a rub version that's still sealed...just ;) 

[​IMG]

20. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

That's a great collection, especially that Devastator