The AFA Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jonnyshaft, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Sixshot1

Sixshot1 Well-Known Member

Sweet group of Autobots, man!

I don't have too many Autobots in my collection, but here's an 80 MISB Skids I recently acquired. Took me a bit of time to find one still tape sealed.

IMG_4948.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  2. Jhaynes

Jhaynes Well-Known Member

I'm after Skids too, I saw a TM box version about a year back, I'm gutted I didn't bid big for it.

3. Sixshot1

I've rarely ever seen a graded Skids (TM or R) show up on ebay.

I probably paid a little more than I should have for this piece, but since I collect very few Autobot cars, I needed to have it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    The price tag doesn't bother me so long as it's from a known seller and not over a major part of the artwork.

The tag on my Pointblank is from Childworld, a long gone national chain that supplied Transformers to many of us old timers. It ties the toy to a piece of history and I'm glad it's there..it would have been nice if they stuck it on the top flap but it only covers a small amount of the artwork so it's fine, IMO.

5. CaptJagged

CaptJagged Well-Known Member

I remember hitting the local Children's Palace HARD when I was a kid, I'd bug my parents to stop there every time we were in the area. I couldn't for the life of me understand why it closed and got replaced with a steakhouse and a home theater store...

(The 80s were weird for retail.)

6. Jhaynes

The TM one I saw wasn't graded it was from a X Hasbro employee and I'd say AFA 85. What did you pay for yours if you don't mind me asking?
    I remember reading years back Skids and Swoop from 1985 were the rarest. Then Targetmaster Scourge because he was only one to a box, where other TM's were 2.

7. Jhaynes

In the UK we had a shop called Children's World in the late 80's oddly my friend got all his 1987 Transformers from there that Christmas from the Bristol store. I wonder if it was the same chain, that went bankrupt too very quickly.

Just found this
    Boots expected to dispose of Childrens World

The UK one was owned by Boots the Chemist, set up in 1987 and never made a profit so closed in 1996.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chefdova

Chefdova Nerd alert

Ebay:
    I sold a 80 misb Rub Skids for 750 last year off eBay a TM would obviously go for considerably more

9. Sixshot1

I paid 1k. A couple of hundred dollars extra means nothing to me when it comes to collecting G1 AFA. I only have one rule and it is that all boxed items must be tape sealed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Snarl

Snarl Well-Known Member

Darn good stuff guys! I still need an Octane, (rub) Sunstreaker and a Skids! I envy you guys ;)  If you want to let go of them, let me know so I can crack open the cookie jar! :D 

11. Jhaynes

That's a fair price, what the hell is going on with Ebay? 11k for Hotspot MISB, 12k for Swoop, even if I was a lottery winner I wouldn't pay those prices. The Thriftstore too is a massive give away that these prices are just pure greed, the guy candidly shows Aubrey Huff's collection for 20K then starts saying 4k for Soundwave etc, I totally understand these guys have to make a profit, but with Ebay the world has changed.
    As you say I don't mind paying $100 over if I really want the figure, but 2k plus is just insane. I seriously doubt that Hotspot even at AFA 90 would fetch 4K, let alone 11K.

12. Sixshot1

I know the seller you are referring to with the crazy prices. I've dealt with him before on some pieces. The problem is he just keeps on relisting them over and over again without even lowering the price 1 dollar. Excuse my language, but that's bullish$t

• Like Like x 3
  13. Jhaynes

Lol I dealt with him years back he's is a good guy, well packs items, and sends them quick, but the extra 6K plus on items is nuts. I own 2 90 grades MISB and I paid less than 1K for them.

14. Chefdova

Chefdova Nerd alert

Ebay:
    I don't get caught up on what people are asking. If it's more than I want to pay I'm obviously not going to buy it. I've been surprised at how low some items have sold for and how high some have gone. We all know the saying it's worth what someone's willing to pay.

15. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

Chefdova.......excellent point in last sentence.
    I will definitely agree that the price increases I have witnessed over the last 14 years are astronomical for high quality rare figures. Everybody needs to keep in mind that market pricing reflects demand from collectors. There are exceptions to this,but they are usually corrected eventually. To mistakenly single out the hot spot in question, (ironic enough it just traded at a very high value), shows that collectors of all walks/interests and the value they place on pieces varies widely throughout the hobby. Sellers in every industry will always make an effort to maximize profits. What goes on behind the scenes would be a revelation to some overly critical outside observers. Speaking from experience, there is an abundance of risk in putting out 50-60K on a collection, sending items for grading, hoping items don't degrade while in your possession(bubbles yellow/tape pops/bubbles fall off/items get mishandled), and ultimately putting your name behind 30+ year old items that you are not the original owner of.
    Most of the guys that deal in high end items are very well educated on price structure, rarity, market trends, and there is usually a reason they have been around awhile.
    I would never spend 200K on a vehicle, but that doesn't make all Ferrari owners mental. If, as a collector, you feel something is overpriced, browse right past it:) 
    That's what makes this hobby really cool is that everyone can appreciate all different collecting tastes and find common ground in the the love of transformers!

• Like Like x 2
  16. 80sKidRules

80sKidRules Well-Known Member

Hi all.

I've got two very nice AFA graded pretenders for sale if anyones interested.

AFA 85 Cloudburst: 85, 85, 85

AFA 85+ Landmine: 85, 85, 90

I want to add pics but can't work out how to s please email me if interested and I'll send some through.

Thanks

17. Sixshot1

Thank you for your insightful post. I've only been collecting AFA for a little over a year, but I've learned a great deal by reading this thread and studying trends on ebay. My friends would think I am crazy having spent the money I have on this stuff, but to me, a lot of these pieces are one of a kind, and that is what draws me the most to this aspect of collecting.

Also, I know all of these things were meant to be opened and played with, but I don't even see them as "toys" now. I feel like they belong in a museum, and it's a privilege to own them.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Jhaynes

Thanks for being candid about dealing Transformers on a grand scale, I don't agree with transferring losses of tampered with Transformers you bought onto the ones your selling though.

19. Chefdova

Chefdova Nerd alert

Ebay:
    Thete are many things that can go wrong with submitting sealed toys for grading that don't include "tampering". The fact is having an ungraded figure that deserves an 85 isn't worth anywhere near what an actual 85 is in hand. This makes the item more rare and expensive. I don't see what the point is in getting so upset over an asking price other than someone just wanting to vent. It really is as simple as not paying that price. That's the best way to cast your vote on value.

20. iamratchet

iamratchet Medic

Ebay:
    Hey all I am right here if you want to talk to me about my prices.

• Like Like x 2