The ABSOLUTE BEST Transformers movie.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Lovecraft, Nov 18, 2014.

?

Which Transformers film is the best of the series?

1. TF07

152 vote(s)
    54.7%
  2. ROTF

9 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. DOTM

38 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. AOE

79 vote(s)
    28.4%
  1. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

I'm way too tired to do what I'm about to do, but fine, let's go through your arguments line by line;

I'm sorry, but wouldn't it make more sense to have Megatron chasing after Sam? Why would Optimus bring Sam along instead of sending him with Bumblebee to get to safety?

I know at that point I'm criticizing what's scripted, but seriously, what a more logical, immediately suspenseful conflict that would be. Anyway...

For the whole Megatron getting the drop on them, it should've been telegraphed (props for word use, by the way) that they had lost him, and then he jumps out of the trees like "Surprise!", because the intended reaction is unclear. And while of course it can be explained away with conjecture, couldn't literally anything that might have happened have been? The problem is that those potentially logical motivations are deemphasized to the point of total ineffectiveness.

It's a lack of the most simple narrative mechanism there is; cause and effect. Setup and payoff. You need both to make a moment/beat to "work". Michael Bay movies, from the bottom up, are all payoff, no setup. And they're obviously lessened by that. It's indulgence; only what we think we want, none of what the movie needs.

It's got nothing to do with bad guy effectiveness. If movie bad guys were competent, movies would be five minutes long and super sad.

I'm pointing out that no one on the scene has a clear goal. They're all just doing whatever, and it just feels meandering. For something is so lightning paced, it's incredible how loose and unfocused it is.

And you just condemned that basic cause and effect that drives every good story ever told. You seem to prefer motivations left totally up in the air and I'm not really sure why... :inquisiti 

As a specific counterpoint to that... Interesting bit of film theory, Spielberg is one of the greatest filmmakers of all time and literally all he does is that exact method of telegraphing and then following through. It works wonderfully for suspense; you know exactly what's about to happen, and the character you're rooting for doesn't. And then... Oh no! It happens!

It's 100% more effective than a tiny bit of momentary shock value.

I get that. It would work way better if the movie made you think he'd won, so then he turns to find Sam, but BAM! Murder armed. Instead of him just... Doing that for no real reason.

I'm starting to think that Michael Bay movies would start to get good if you just jammed in a few setup shots.

2. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

I think there's little doubt that the lead-in to the forest battle is one of the most nonsensical set of events in a movie series known for nonsensical events. I hope, for the sake of everyone involved in the making of the film, that the lead-in was a victim of the writer's strike and the need to re-jigger shots that were already in the can and initially meant to go together in some other way.

The autobots go to rescue Sam. They kick the crap out of every decepticon there. So, what do you do next? Naturally, you let the guy that you just rescued go off alone with one autobot while the rest of them go wandering off somewhere. Yup, you split up willy-nilly after winning the day. This of course, leads to said single autobot being triple-teamed by the previously defeated decepticons. Might as well have Optimus trip and fall onto a jagged rock if you needed to have him dead to move the thing along. That would have been at least more reasonable.

The battle itself, is fine, with the exception of Optimus inexplicably deciding that the middle of the battle was a good time to get distracted looking for dear old Sam (as Galvatron II mentions above). That, too, is ridiculously contrived and inept storytelling. Again, have him just fall on a jagged rock already.

3. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    And that's all without the whole " city to forest in milliseconds" thing.

4. Decepticons

Decepticons B∆K. Bug-a-Boo Ghost.

News Credits:
    I'm torn between DotM and '07.

5. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

:lol  "robots"...but we're talking about Transformers here.

Drone #4 and Drone #28 had the best growls before their deaths.

:lol 

6. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:

I think your need to correct people being wrong with regard to the movies means you're driven to try to get movieverse fans to admit these are "bad movies" by the standards of artistic filmmaking, story writing, etc. A lot of them won't admit it, so that's gonna be endless fighting right there.

I admit it, so the next step is to question my taste...

That's the problem though: you can't set yourself up as the judge of other people's tastes on the internet, especially not over one single line of movies.

You and I have the same views on TDKR, a movie many (including critics) say is a quality movie. So for us to have major problems with it says we have "bad taste", if we are judged on that criteria alone.

You know I like the TF movies, which makes you question my tastes, which is socially and culturally synonymous with "you have bad taste". Especially between (pretty much) strangers.

But you have no idea what other movies I like, or dislike (other than TDKR). Nor music. Nor art. Nor poetry nor television or novels.

You can't appoint yourself judge of strangers' tastes, especially on the internet, and super-especially over one line of movies...well, correction, you *can*, but people are going to get pissed off and react. Thats just what happens with people.

You can tear the movies apart all you like, though I think years of doing so is a wee bit obsessive... But hell I have my own obsessions so who am I to judge?

But a goal of making movieverse fans admit the movies are bad is a path of endless fights and bitterness and anger. And the few who do admit it but like them anyway - moving on to the next step of questioning their tastes? Where does it stop? What's the purpose, the goal?

At some point you, me, we... just have to accept that there are media/toy lines/ stuff we're gonna hate, and choose to spend our energy instead on the things we like.

7. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Easily the first one. That movie is actually good. The others are awful

8. JoshimusPrime20

JoshimusPrime20 Autobot

News Credits:
    TF07 is in my opinion the best TF movie in the live action series but I'm sure that most people would agree with me that the 1986 Transformers movie is by far the BEST Transformers movie of all time. The 1986 movie captured the true meaning of the Transformers (even though it wasn't well received by critics) while the live action Transformers films, it was just the same thing all over again and we didn't get much time with the Transformers characters. These films (apart from the 4th film) were just about a boy getting a car just to get a girlfriend.

9. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    1. Transformers The Movie 1986
    2. Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Predacons Rising
    3. Transformers 2007
    4. Transformers Age Of Extinction
    5. Transformers Dark Of The Moon
    6. Transformers Revenge Of The Fallen

10. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1986 Transformers: The Movie, the ONLY true Transformers movie! :) 

11. Starscream0625

Starscream0625 We are Thunderwing

News Credits:
    I like Dark of the Moon the best. Sentinel Prime was awesome.

Still, none of these live-action films come close to the 1986 movie-no vulgar language/content, and it had meaningful and well-developed characters.

12. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 What to type here?

News Credits:
    "Oh sh*t, what are we going to do now!?"

Yup, actual 86 movie dialog. Even "hell breakin' loose" was pretty strong language in its time. Every transformer movie has had some form or another of bad language, but ROTF is the worst about it.

13. deymasc

deymasc Well-Known Member

But fights aren't supposed to be cohesive.

14. deymasc

Predacons Rising?! Really?

15. deymasc

Not at all. When I first saw it in the theater as a teenager I loved it. I was much older when it came out on VHS, and having the chance to watch it over and over...I then realized how much of a mess it was after the Starscream's death. To this day, I watch it up to that point and then turn it off.

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Why not?

Also, you know you can use the multiquote button to respond to multiple people at once, right?

17. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that Predacons Rising had definite problems, especially when compared to the show itself. But all in all, I still think it's more enjoyable and well made than the Bay movies.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I agree Predicons Rising has it's share of problems but the robots are better characters than the live action robots and the story feels easier to get into. It feels more creative than just kill all the Decepticons.

19. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 What to type here?

News Credits:
    Why'd you drag this back up?

20. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan DEFIANTLILHORDE

News Credits:
    Didn't they put that in their to bump up the classification or something?

I remember watching that in the cinema, and spike says "oh shit!" all the kids giggled at each other and the parents feigned disapproval, but it didn't really matter, a similar thing happened a few years later in Star Trek when the starship enterprise crashed!

Some of the events and dialogue in the MovieVerse are just uncomfortable for a family action sci-fi movie. Pissing on people and forcing your cock scent onto them belongs in movies like American Pie and Bad Neighbours, where you know why your there.