THE $575+ UNICRON: YOU BUYING IT?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by netkid, Jul 15, 2019.

?

THE $575+ UNICRON: YOU BUYING IT?

1. *gulp* Yes..... R.I.P. MY WALLET!

28.4%
  2. Maybe? If I can scrounge up enough cash before August 31st...that's pretty soon. Can I even?

18.8%
  3. I'd buy it if it was $300! Not $600. No way Jose.

18.0%
  4. I would buy it, but he seems very overpriced for what you get. Why no lights & sounds?

5.9%
  5. For the price, I'd really want to see a review first before dropping any money down on it.

7.0%
  6. HELL NAW!

20.3%
  7. What are you nuts?!?! I don't have the room for that!

15.3%
  8. No, because I am afraid it will have poor quality control.

5.7%
  9. I would, but I don't live in North America. :(

5.9%
  10. I'm only buying it to flip it later! This is gonna be HUGE on the aftermarket! *laughs in Mr. Krabs*

1.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    According to our friend Google, there are 1844 Target Stores and 4759 Walmart Stores and some 200 Kmart stores in the US. That's a total of ~6800 stores that sell toys. Even assuming that a store only gets 2 of each figure that's a production run of 13,600 just for the US market.

Obviously there's a lot of other brick and mortar stores and online retailers selling TF toys in the US, that aren't included in the above estimate, then add in international sales and you can quickly see how small a production run of 8000 probably is compared to a production run for mass retail.

• Like Like x 3
  2. popcorn

popcorn Well-Known Member

Glad they extended for those wanting more time to save for this. I do think though this is pretty expensive for a big CHUG.

• Like Like x 3
  3. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  4. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...i own badcube's warpath, and it's a fantastic-looking figure in both modes with extremely-impressive engineering to get between them, but i don't play with the figure and in fact i try to avoid posing or even touching it as much as possible: he stands neglected, dusty, and essentially ignored at the back corner of my `eighty-five autobot shelf...

...despite everything going for him, why is that?..

...like zeta's unicron, wardog takes half-an-hour and at least three hands to transform, flopping around in an unstable mess throughout the process; basic posing of the transformed 'bot continually threatens to collapse the finished transformation, feeling anything but reassuring and pretty much negating his play value; and in the end i'm left with a good-looking display piece which starkly underperforms both simpler transformations and non-transforming action figures, both...

...i thought none of that would matter to me, that wardog was such a cool design exercise as to render those issues moot, but in practice i was completely wrong...

...so, core star: his rings need to be doubled in proportion, he needs a differentiated robot back and more chaotic asymmetry to his kirby crackle, his titan master compartments need to be 50% larger, and his stand needs to be sleeker and usable while its base is affixed to his planet mode maw...i get that he's a work in progress, but his joints and transformation-locks need to show more-reassuring stability, especially for such a complex transformation; i need solidity to instill confidence that i'm not risking disintegration with every transformation...

...most of all, though, with this level of complexity and parts count, i don't see a $200 figure at stateside retail prices, i see a $400-500 figure, and for that kind of pricing i want unicron to stand head-to-head with the other big boys, if not significantly taller...

...is it too late to address these issues?..while i expect that zeta may tweak joint tolerances for final production, by the time a prototype is this far along most manufacturers have already committed to the big decisions, so i don't expect substantial changes in the finished figure...

...zeta's effort is impressive, no doubt!..i'm sure a lot of folks will be proud to add him to their collection, but as-is i don't think he's quite what i need to supplant my old takara unicron, let alone the new haslab behemoth: planet mode is hugely important to me and only the haslab figure nails it...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  5. fake

fake Return to Innocence

ended up cancelling my two. the zeta toys version means I can wait a while before committing and a third of the haslab investment.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheImmortalMoo

TheImmortalMoo Well-Known Member

Zeta is gone now. Hasbro laid out the legal hammer.

7. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Nah, not very interested in it, its ok looking but has a lot of design flaws, and too much money

8. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire Banned

News Credits:
    I read that was just rumors/speculation. I have no idea, that's just the last I saw.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MonsterMash

MonsterMash Well-Known Member

Ok Hasbro, let's work on adding some extras to Unicron to get this thing funded.

1. Mini Galvatron
    2. Set of mini Dinobots (at least the four in the movie)
    3. Two mini Junkion ships
    4. Mini Rodimus Prime, Kup, Springer, Arcee, and all the rest who drove out of Unicorn's eye
    5. Blast effects of the beams coming from when Unicron was about to explode (3 I think)
    6. Fire breath for Unicron's mouth
    7. Moonbase 1 and 2 for Unicron to devour
    8. The beam coming out of Unicron's mouth when in planet mode
    9. Engineer the legs so the lower portion can be removed
    10. Re-engineer some of the shell to fit in his legs and chest.

10. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    I think it's good the way it is. Don't change a thing.

Unicron! Yayy!

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Unicron could use a butt-plate with Dinobot foot-prints in it. :) 

• Like Like x 3
  12. ophyjgjhnfn

ophyjgjhnfn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So haven’t seen any of these threads in a week on the front page. At least. Is your interest waning? Any news from Hasbro or anyone else besides the UK store about accepting other orders from Japan or elsewhere or other extensions? Rather disappointing to see the same figure days on end where maybe the last digit has changed? Cutting it close!

13. Synth

Synth Well-Known Member

Unicron looks awesome, The Armada Unicron was lacking imo and seeing this figure it can definable be considered a grail. I remember back in the 90's Hasbro used to have a Unicron one-off for their office; I wanted a transformable Unicron and dreamed about how awesome that would be.
    I had a long hard thought about it, but I decided to put strict rules in place of scale and since I missed Metroplex I decided my biggest Transformer will be the Siege Omega Supreme which is in scale with CW Devastator, Siege Jetfire, Siege Voyagers, etc.

14. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Just changed my vote. Had Unicron fallen in the $300 range, I could have justified the expense. But $600 after taxes is just too much. Understand that you could offer me a G1 MIB Raiden for $600 and I'd still balk. There are simply some things that pushes the limits of economic feasibility when it comes to toy collecting and this is one of them.