THE $575+ UNICRON: YOU BUYING IT?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by netkid, Jul 15, 2019.

?

THE $575+ UNICRON: YOU BUYING IT?

1. *gulp* Yes..... R.I.P. MY WALLET!

28.4%
  2. Maybe? If I can scrounge up enough cash before August 31st...that's pretty soon. Can I even?

18.8%
  3. I'd buy it if it was $300! Not $600. No way Jose.

18.0%
  4. I would buy it, but he seems very overpriced for what you get. Why no lights & sounds?

5.9%
  5. For the price, I'd really want to see a review first before dropping any money down on it.

7.0%
  6. HELL NAW!

20.3%
  7. What are you nuts?!?! I don't have the room for that!

15.3%
  8. No, because I am afraid it will have poor quality control.

5.7%
  9. I would, but I don't live in North America. :(

5.9%
  10. I'm only buying it to flip it later! This is gonna be HUGE on the aftermarket! *laughs in Mr. Krabs*

1.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great points. But they ko statues now which cost 1-5k and the box is even heavier and close to the same size or bigger for example the sideshow wolf predator lsf legendary scale. The dimensions is huge in the box and weight I would say all bigger and heavier. China ko that and ships to the USA. So it’s definitely possible they will ko this as well. Time will tell.

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It doesn't get made if there's not enough support (ostensibly. It's all arbitrary. If it gets really close, there's nothing preventing Hasbro from issuing an extension or something to let it cross the finish line. There's no precedent yet to judge by). Backers, via HasLab, haven't even been charged yet, and won't unless the project is a go. Those who ordered through a middle-man retailer have been promised their deposits refunded.

If it gets made, then officially it's one and done, and only those who ordered will get one. There'll of course be a little surplus out there, with people selling extras on eBay to make their money back at a mark-up, plus the online retailers who'll probably order a small stock for profit as well. But in an official capacity, the crowdfund is the sale. Once it's done, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to get one in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HereticalHeresy

HereticalHeresy Decepticon

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    It will not be made if it doesn't reach 8,000, and if it does get made, it will only be available to the backers who paid for however many they paid for. This is not the time to say "Oh I'll just wait for the retail version eventually" as no such thing will be done. It's possible it will get an international release like the Sail Barge did, but it's clearly unsure to say for sure at this time. Best I could say is if you want it, now is your only window left.

• Like Like x 1
  4. lordohtu

lordohtu Well-Known Member

Officially extended. Deadline is 10/6 now

5. metalogan

metalogan Well-Known Member

Did that just really happen??? i came here wondering about that! Hmmm now I have to really think about budgeting because I was going to drop this cash tomorrow

6. lordohtu

lordohtu Well-Known Member

Yep, check the website.

7. solo40oz

solo40oz Well-Known Member

The 10/6 deadline extension is hilarious to me....I think Hasbro may be in denial. I'm still on the fence....I will likely back it.....but Hasbro extending the date makes me think that they think not enough people know about it yet. I don't think that is the case at all. Now if they add a miniature ship....a voyager galvatron to match the little guy....and drop the price by $100....I think the # of orders goes beyond 8k easily.

• Like Like x 1
  8. caudex

caudex New World Pre-Order

Which is what it should have been to start with. Now they'll get their funding.

9. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly I always thought a big problem was having it close the same weekend that MP-44 started shipping. You're targeting the same collectors with those figures and that's a THOUSAND dollars for 2 Transformers. Personally I think it should have been pushed back a bit later. But more time is a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tprime

Tprime I still function!

News Credits:
    I'm going to put this over here because the main Unicron thread can get a little crazy.

I have a real honest question: What are the chances Unicron ever gets made again in some capacity in the next 15-20 years? The reason I ask is I remember buying the first ever Masterpiece Optimus Prime thinking "This is the definitive version! It'll never get better than this. He's so awesome!" That was circa 2003.

Since then MP Optimus Prime has been remade two times (MP-1, MP-10, MP-44) and a slew of repaints/reissues. That's not even counting the 3P releases. Other figures such as Megatron and Starscream have gotten the same treatment as well, where newer engineering and added cartoon accuracy just keeps making it better. I usually end up replacing (I try not to own multiple versions) the figure and the other thing that happens is I'll look at the older figure and think "this thing sucks". I still have MP-1, but when I look at him now and he looks like a big bulky neanderthal to me.

Unicron is being billed as "once in a generation" but I'm kind of hesitant to pull the trigger that later down the line an even BETTER figure may come out. 15-20 years is a long time, but is this really the pinnacle for Unicron? Will they really never reissue this? I would just hate spending $600 and then like 5 years later feel like I have to shell out a ridiculous amount of money again. I would not put Hasbro past that as they have been milking us for years with constant reintroductions of figures with better engineering and toon accuracy. Curious what you guys think--- is this the last mainline Unicron we'll ever see?

• Like Like x 1
  11. MonsterMash

MonsterMash Well-Known Member

You think there will be something like a three foot or higher Unicron? While that sounds cool, that's really massive and likely to cost more than $600.

12. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Also, more than likely you will be able to sell this Unicron, recoup what you spent AND make a profit, and buy whatever new Congress along.

I fail to see an issue.

13. Tprime

Tprime I still function!

News Credits:
    While bigger is a possibility, I wasn't limiting my question to just size or even price as improvements in the form of engineering, remolds, and/or repaints happen often. I'm just wondering if this is really the last Unicron HasTak will ever make/release and wanted to see what everybody's consensus on that was.

14. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I wonder how many toys of other Transformers are sold. Like how many titans, leaders, deluxes, etc. How does 8000 compare to those?

• Like Like x 1
  15. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...takara seems privy to pulling molds out of mothballs every ten or twenty years, particularly for high-demand flagship figures, but unicron constitutes an exceptionally-pricey exercise in logistics...

...as for hasbro, by comparison, i dropped four figures for the flagg (as part of a large collection including the terrordrome and hovercraft) twenty-five years ago, and as far as i know hasbro has never put it back into production: that and the sail barge are the closest analogs to what unicron represents, logistically...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think if they do make a Unicron toy again within 15-20 years, it won't be a G1-style Unicron. They could easily incorporate Unicron into a new cartoon series and make a toy of that version of him. Think about how different Unicron looked in Prime.

About 15 years ago, 10,000 was around the minimum number of units made for a general retail figure, and that was said to be rare to do a production run that low. I don't know if that's changed since then, but I would pretty confidently say most figures have runs higher than 8000. Store exclusives might come close.

• Like Like x 4
  17. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well I bit after finding a way to pay for a bit now and save up the funds needed for later, I am debating on where to put unicron with my Orson Welles collection or with his own kind

18. DeceptiTom

DeceptiTom Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    buy two.

• Like Like x 1
  19. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nope aparently no longer buying the first one, the site cancelled my order do to not having any in stock...I'd be shocked if they had one in stock to be honest

20. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great to have more time for everyone. Now I don’t need to buy so many and I have time to get money together. Thanks hasbro!