The 3rd party figure you regret EVER buying

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by brewtality, Mar 13, 2015.

1. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Fanstoys, Badcube, and Dx9 aint let me down yet. No sir. I'd have to say my igear raptor conehead is the only thing that comes close to regret. But its not that bad. That iron factory windblade is cheap feeling so that comes close too

2. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To much to list, hopefully selling them off at NJCC in November. No hate for any particular company just don't want them anymore and they are not worth what I spent on them. I've bought

MMC
    TFC
    Mech Ideas
    Fansproject
    I gear
    Fans Toys
    Warbotron

The 10% I plan on keeping are just add on stuff.

3. Megatronus27

Megatronus27 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Im in this ball park.

(In the background, a yelling voice can be heard "Wallet! Get off that computer! You're not permitted to be on that site without parental permission. Go to your room! GET!!!)

:lol 

4. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I wish i could understand. Whats the regret from? Is it the fact that you could have been spending those monies on more productive stuff like appliances? Or is it that you feel like you were robbed in hindsight.

5. ZEGR

ZEGR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only regret buying KFC's C Stack but not because its a bad toy or anything like that,but because at the time all the "experts" were sayin that the TT Ultra Magnus would be a white Optimus with armor,so i went for the all in one transformation but instead TT did the same thing and i gotten theirs too but i dont need C. Stack now.Other than that i only buy figures that i like so i have yet to be disappointed by one.

6. ParaChomp

ParaChomp I am what I am

Agreed with Tempest. The articulation was meh, finicky transformation, but the lack of things tabbing in killed it for me.

Warbotron's stuff is so hit and miss. I don't regret buying their entire "Bruticus" but the figures are so flawed. The combined mode is a sight to behold but parts doesn't peg together well and the combiner ports are too tight. It's not bottom heavy enough either but I fixed this by putting weights in the feet and it fixed the problem scary to articulate.

7. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not sure about most regrettable purchase, but my most recent one is Lone Wolf - yeah he looks good in bot mode, but he's so flimsy and falls apart. I thought in combined mode he looked good, but that was until I tried the perfect effect addons for menasor. Now I think he looks out of place with the combiner limbs attached. If anyone wants to buy him from me, shoot me a PM.

8. timcrook

timcrook Well-Known Member

I think it is funny a lot of people here say they regret buying a certain thrid party toy years or months after they had it and enjoyed playing with it because a better/cheaper version comes along.

Truth is, you regret not selling it before the better version came along, saying you regret buying it isnt true or else you would have sold it long ago.

9. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    KFC Mugan Scope. It just isn't good.

10. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    MMC Knight Morpher for me. I really don't like it, plus, they sent mine with a stripped screw in his elbow so I cannot really transform it without his arm falling apart.

ToyWorld DevilStar - I thought I would like it much more than I do, especially those pieces that make the wheels all move as one, and just hang there in bot mode. Also, the wings will not stay up in bot mode, so it mostly looks like crap.

11. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Nearly everything I've gotten from Fansproject breaks just by looking at it funny, so there's that.

12. Rockdown

Rockdown Dream Commander

Ebay:
    For me is is mostly that the item is of a poorer quality than expected (KFC Perceptor and Planet X Snarl) or is no fun (Toyworld Bumble).

13. Bnz Toy

Bnz Toy 3P Combiner

Only had one 3P that didn't last in my collection. Hardly even a regret did not enjoy transforming her and didn't know where she fits in my collection: PE Arcee.

I'm very happy with all my other 3Ps, 100%.

14. Havocmech

Havocmech Well-Known Member

Right now I would conditionally say the Unique Toys not-Terrorcons. I mean the first 3 were great and I was really looking forward to completing Ordin, but then I heard about all the QC issues with Sigfried. Ugh! The torso bot is (literally) what brings the whole combiner together. I have been keeping a loose eye on repairs to make Sigfried usable, and if it was just the springs I would probably take the plunge, but since the ratchets come damaged right out of the box, I dunno... Maybe Unique Toys will take a page out of Warbotron's book, and offer a version 2.0. Again, I dunno... Seriously thinking of selling the first three.

15. timcrook

timcrook Well-Known Member

All my fansproject toys are solid and have nice tight joints (not too tight like fans toys where you have plastic skweaking sounds)

[​IMG]

There do exist knock off versions of some fansproject toys like their Insecticons. Maybe you got a KO. Or was it something besides the Insecticons?

16. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Na the money still would have been spent on Tranformers regardless sure it might have stretched further and allowed for more purchases. Most of the regret for me is all the BS that comes with these 3rd party figure whether it be finding a way to fix said figure myself or trying to get some replacement piece from either the retailer or company itself.

Lately this 3rd party market has been flooded with a lot more competition which has already caused drama with what online stores can/want to carry who's product. Soon you'll see 3rd parties sign exclusive agreements with said online stores to sell their product. While the competition is good for the consumer it won't be long until some companies fold up and prices will go up on the ones that survive to try and make back what they lost.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel for me and this hobby so my focus has changed. With that it has brought regret in as I don't want to finish my 3rd party collection as it has dropped to the bottom of my priority list as my display space has all run out.

I'm sure that is the case with some but not me. I didn't buy anything to "replace" my 3rd party figures plus what has been release in the last year or so I wouldn't go as far as to say they are "better" versions.

17. spot138

spot138 Proud Gee-Wunner!!!

Ebay:
    I've got two: X Transbots Krank and Terminus Hexatron.

Krank is just a freaking mess. Floppy joints, Feels like a cheap KO, Ultra- gappy torso, Face sculpt was way off (Mask side is ok though), Arms fly off if you look at them funny, and his backpack is so huge he eats up a huge amount of shelf space. What really confuses me though is how much better Stax is! All of the floppyness, and overall build quality feels so much better.

Terminus Hexatron - After all the hype I found it very underwhelming - it felt super cheap, puzzling design choices (those inner knee flaps - wtf?), and he can't even stand straight! Kind of fun to mess around with, but his joints got really floppy real quick.

18. bearsuit

bearsuit Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The happiest day of my *collecting life* was selling off the Fansproject Stunticons for a modest loss. I bought them in the days in which CHUG collecting was really the only option even though I did not like the creative liberties taken with the designs.

19. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    warden....

don't get me wrong he's solid with a badass bot mode and the head mode is cool. i don't even hate the tank mode. in all honestly i'm a fan of this figure it just....doesn't have a place in my collection and with my g1 max in city mode i really don't have a spot for him anymore.

tryin to sell it actually but i think everyone that wants it has it at this point.

20. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

Well that sounds like what happened with me and Fansproject Protector.

I still think it's an amazing piece of design and adds on to classics Hot Rod in an inventive and interesting way, and for the couple of months I had it, it was a real joy.

But the overall aesthetics and the fact that it started to not have a place in my group, and didn't seem to really fit in with the others, I sold it off. But there's certainly nothing wrong with it - Fansproject Protector is still very impressive to me, but I got rid of it just case it didn't fit in anymore.