Heavy/Scratch: That one Siege Starscream problem.....

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by RobbyDBobbet, Apr 4, 2019.

1. RobbyDBobbet

RobbyDBobbet Member

So it’s been a long time, SO LONG in fact that I forgot my old log in credentials and am starting from scratch. HELLO EVERYONE. I’m the guy hat posted that one cartoon accurate Prime voyager starscream all those years ago. BACK! After lurking and seeing any mods, repaints and kit bashed I wanted to post were usually already uploaded by someone else X-D

So here is something I haven’t seen, namely a FIX for the annoying front panel of Siege Starscream that ALWAYS FALLS OFF.

You will need:

-A sharp craft knife (kids, ask your parents)

-A pin from another transformer, or toy or craft shop.

-Possibly a drill or Dremel for two 1.5mm holes.

-A steady hand and patience.

So the pin can sit flush above the inner chest of Screamer, you will need to take out a small, almost matchstick like slither of plastic between two small pillers infront of Starscreams head. See pictures with the pin MS Painted in red and the two tabs show in the end position in Blue.

Then moving onto the breast plate itself, you will QUICKLY REALISE THAT HASBRO HAD INTENDED A PIN TO BE IN THE MOLD BUT CHICKEND OUT TO SAVE METAL at the last minute!

The back of the plate already has a pin groove and merely needs to have two bits of plastic removed (rather thin tabs blocking a pin from being pushed all the way through).

Finally holes need to be drilled as straight as possible through the gray parts connected to Starscreams main body.

These gray parts have thin and practically useless tabs on them that can be dremelled or cut away, giving a perfect anchor point for a 1.5mm drill to bore straight through. THIS is the only part of this mod that needs to be precise, as there isn’t much material there; making a hole to large will weaken the plastic, making the holes misalign means the mod won’t work because the pin won’t be able to pass through the plastic and bending things to fit will ALSO weaken the connection.

When done correctly there will be absolutely no visible difference to your figure and it will transform exactly the same as before, except with added stability to the chest in robot mode and added stability to the wing and back panel in Jet mode.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 14
  2. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

looks great, gonna do this myself.

3. gibdozer

gibdozer Love Gun

Thanks for the tutorial, I'm going to get around to modding mine someday.

4. RobbyDBobbet

RobbyDBobbet Member

Let me know how it goes. im open to questions should you have any.

5. RobbyDBobbet

RobbyDBobbet Member

You`re welcome gibdozer. Its otherwize a great figure, almost a shame NOT to get rid of the one problem it has (Besides a bit of kibble, the only TECHNICAL problem)

• Like Like x 1
  6. MattOnCybertron

MattOnCybertron Well-Known Member

Nice fix! I'm a huge fan of SS in general but Prime might take the cake for me, throw up a link to that other custom or pics if you can plz

7. RobbyDBobbet

RobbyDBobbet Member

Ill have to go looking, I went "back in time" to go look for it, but it was mid 2012 and i don't think this board goes back that far. When im home tonight I will deep dive my hard drives and see if I still have the pictures.

8. JLvatron

JLvatron Transformer

News Credits:
    Amazing tutorial!

Then in the words of Vince McMahon, thinking nobody remembers a returning guy,
    Let's welcome "This NEWcomer!" :D 

• Like Like x 1
  9. Agent Prime 2814

Agent Prime 2814 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Mine actually had an issue with the head in transformation. I couldn't get it to snap down into place. The plastic was off center or too large for the left side shoulder...had to use a flathead screwdriver to push it back and the corner of the head in...finally got it to snap down after an hour.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RobbyDBobbet

RobbyDBobbet Member

Do you mean it didn't sit down flush in robot mode like in my second picture? Or did it not tuckand hide away into the body in cybertron jet mode?

11. Agent Prime 2814

Agent Prime 2814 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    didnt tuck and hide.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RedQueen

RedQueen Robo Thot

Tumblr:
    This is super helpful and good, but also, if one doesn't have the patience or skill to do this kind of cutting and drilling, I've taken off the piece, dabbed some super glue on the joints, put it back on after it dried, and I haven't had a problem since! I did this on two different figures and tbh it seems good enough to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I might also do this for safe measure

• Like Like x 2
  13. RobbyDBobbet

RobbyDBobbet Member

The only pictures i could find were these.... Its in a box somewhere because we moved.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. MattOnCybertron

MattOnCybertron Well-Known Member

Looks great! I think I'll make those paint mods on his torso too. I have the Takara version and it looks to me like the paint job is a little different so I might not tackle the jet mode at all, but those little touches really make him pop, awesome work and thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dogbomber

Dogbomber Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For the hand drill, how much time is needed? My friend spent almost 30 minutes for manual drill and only able to drill very shallow hole. Did you use machine drill?

16. Yaujta

Yaujta ANUTFORAJAROFTUNA Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's been done quite a number of times, including by myself the day I got the figure, but I don't think anyone else has done a proper tutorial.
    Nicely done!

• Like Like x 1
  17. RobbyDBobbet

RobbyDBobbet Member

I personally used a dremel with a very fine drill bit. A smaller machine drill would also be possible. If you use a hand drill it could take a little longer but you have more handling and less things could go wrong.
    But 30 min for a small dent into plastic seems a little long. Could your Drill bit be dulled /blunt? or were you turning it in the correct direction? I have a hand drill i use sometimes and have never really needed more than 5min to carefully break through roughly 5mm of Transformer plastic. If you have a few pics, feel free to share them and maybe i can make some suggestions from there.

18. RobbyDBobbet

RobbyDBobbet Member

Yeah, Europe gets the figures much later and usually 80% of what can be modded and improved can already be found on the site, but when i posted this back in April, I had only seen a couple of repaints and a 3d print of the mid section. I know that since then, someone has posted a "quick and dirty" method by adding glue to the thin gray tabs, which is probably a lot more easier to do than my guide. I'm glad to hear that i am not the only person with this problem though because maybe the guide can help others with this otherwise great figure. I'm currently thinking about the bumblebee Movie Optimus wobbly feet construction and working out how to stabilise the heel section that keeps popping out. not much material to work with though.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Robowang

Robowang I don't have AIDS

Ebay:
    What's all this "minutes" stuff to dremel a hole in plastic? Those holes are a ten second job if you're being cautious.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RobbyDBobbet

RobbyDBobbet Member

Youre exactly right, but the person who asked the question before was also using a manual drill, so i was trying to give them a time frame they could work with.

• Like Like x 2