That moment when.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Nov 28, 2012.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    you finally figured out what you want to do with your life! You can say I am a bit late at figuring out what I wanted to do career wise with my life (28 yrs old). I have been so indecisive about what I wanted to do since I started college, I actually continued with school and am currently 1 semester away from my 2nd graduate degree. So to find something that would interest me and I would be able to do is exciting.

I am kind of anxious though, that maybe I am too late in figuring things out. So reaching out to the community here, how old were you when you figured out what career you wanted to do or how old were you when you finally landed a job you stuck with? Along those lines.

I'm also kind of nervous that employers will look at my resume and be like, you are 28 and had 5 internships and no employment, gtfo. I am hoping that my internships while attending school help and not hurt me. Because now that I have 1 semester left I have to start sending out that resume.

2. Primal_Grimlock

Primal_Grimlock Gone because someone had their cat declawed. Grr.

What life? :( 

3. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

There's no such thing as "too old" unless you're dating a high school chick. When I went to school for Graphic Design I thought I was was "too old" at 23, when most of my friends had already graduated from colleges and such. Turns out a lot of the other students going were roughly my age or even older.

Everyone takes a different path, but the point is that you got there. You know what you want to do, and hopefully know what you have to do to get there.

A lot of people have ideas of what they want to do. Some of us get stuck doing what we do just because of the stability of having this income. It's always better to not be in that group.

4. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I say congrats and some people just take longer figuring it out they need to try different things in order to figure out which one it isthey like you are on your sdecond graduate degree so its not like you haven't been doing anything you have been at least educating yourself.
    My brother is a high school dropout and it took him a while but at the age of 32 he just graduated with his AA degree. I know its just an AA degree and he is 32 but he's been through some stuff on drugs and what not but the point is he went back and did it and for that I am very proud of him.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    You needn't worry about starting late - not all of us find our calling early - in fact I've known some people who were in jobs for 10-15 years and lost their jobs in this recent recession, only to remake themselves and find a new way. If you have the skills (and I assume with two degrees I assume you do) you can forge a path for yourself.

In fact, true story, I was too was 28 before I really managed to find myself in a role where I felt I could make a career for myself instead of merely doing a job. I'd worked somewhere through my degree years and gone back after finishing my degree to support myself until I figured out what to do with myself. Seven years later I'm still there, although I've moved about in the organisation a fair bit. The last move was the best thing I'd ever done.

What I'm saying is, stick with it. Opportunity can come along in all kinds of ways, and there's no shame in starting small and climbing the ladder. But at the end of the day you'll find your path in the world of work, and I wish you all the best of luck.

6. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thanks, I know it's difficult to think I can't just jump into a great career, that I'll have to climb up. but, thanks I'll do what I have to do to get where I want to be.

7. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

It's not too late.

Chances are, you'll have to figure out a new path when you're 40-45.

Since I was 19, I've been through 3 industries. Who knows what I'll have to figure out to do when the time comes.

I doubt there are many jobs left where you can be there for life.

You're also competing with many people of all age groups, so at 28 you're fighting with young people with ambition, and "old" people with years of experience.

8. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I have a bachelors right now from 2005 and just applied to go back to school, so you're never too old

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I still have no clue what i'll be doing after my semester ends as is my co-op work placement.

10. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    I turned 31 this year, and I am a week away from completing my first semester toward being a 3D animator. I've wanted to be in the game design field for as long as I can remember.

My wife got her Bachelor's in Forensic Anthropology in 2002, and just a year ago became an RN. She'll be 33 in 2 days, and is planning on being a Nurse Practitioner within the next 5 years.

It's never too late.

11. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm 20 years old, Unemployed, Never goes to Collage, & Single.

12. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Congratulations, now I have to figure out what I want to do, can do, and get a job for. It makes my brain hurt just thinking about it.

13. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    That's awesome. I hope I can do what I want too. I have the means, the job market is so tight though. I'm nervous about the competition.

14. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    What do you want to do? Forgive me, I don't recall you mentioning it in your OP. Though perhaps you intended it to be that way.

I guess I can't really relate to your feeling, I've known what I was going to do with my life since I was 10 years old. The plan's been refined a bit since then, of course, but it's still basically the same. I'm just curious about what you want to do, since you've figured it out.

Wow I'm like so excited for you. I feel like throwing you a party or something.

15. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm down to party. Just gotta finish my college apps that are due in 60 hours first.

16. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Lol its only to late when ur dead lol, i meet a 81 year old who just started the bacholers infomation tecnologey so a 3 year course and then he signed up to a 10 year contract up in auckland

17. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm 29, and I'm in school too, just started actually. Still don't know what I truly want to do though...

18. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    party after i land a job! I was just booted today from my current internship for not being confident enough. :/

19. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

Well, I am 29 and have gone back to school to become a midwife - although it's not totally unrelated to my current field. I am probably middle of the road as far as age goes, with about half the other students younger than I am and about half of them older. One women I am really close to is in her mid 40's and literally completed her nursing degree (her very first undergrad degree) 2 years ago (so when she was in her early 40's) and then went back to do mid - before that she did a string of low skilled jobs. She is really passionate about the field and is brilliant at everything she does at school. Her age is not really an issue - she also isn't quite the oldest, either (I don't think).

It's generally more common and accepted for women to have gaps in their job history since traditionally we do the child-raising. Even if you don't have children, it's not going to look particularly odd to an employer to see gaps.

20. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i went to college and tanked hard core because the pace was slower than the DMV.
    then of all people, my mom asked me to volunteer with a small time Rescue Squad.
    and i found something i not only loved, but the training and re-certifications kept me on my toes.

Now that i am older, and in a different situation, i find myself back in college, AND actually appreciating the slower pace.

I find it fascinating how universities stress that university life is about exploring and finding your true calling/passion in academia, yet they push pretty hard for you to hurry up and declare a major, plan way ahead for post-grad...etc.

and if you decide to take your Sophomore year off, run to Brazil and build villages, they seem rather hesitant to give you "life experience" credit for learning a new language, living independently and creating working relationships with another culture.

the point is, you may have an idea when you filled out college apps, but what happens when your friends or a professor in some 2 bit elective class talks you into trying something and you discover you have a gift for it?
    you should be free to go for it.

so, good luck!