TFW's Robots in Disguise Steeljaw and Underbite Galleries

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    We're carrying on with our galleries of the new Robots in Disguise line, and it's time to bring on the bad guys! We're doing a two for one today folks with a look at both the Warrior class Steeljaw and the One Step changer Underbite!

First up, Steeljaw is the wolf-man and leader of the Decepticon escapees in the new show. He's got a cool design, complete with an articulated wolf-tail, but suffers a bit with a heavy backpack and needing to use the tail to balance. The design of the elbows also scares me - they feel like they could break (a real fear, given Grimlock's). Not one of the best releases in the line, all things considered.

Next up is Underbite. The villain in the pilot episode, he's one of the debut One Step changers for the line and is quite fun as a desk fiddle toy. He looks decently accurate to his on-screen version, and does have some limited poseability in dino mode.

The pair are by no means perfect, but they are decent representations of their characters. Check them out and see what you think.

Robots in Disguise Warrior Steeljaw
    Robots in Disguise One-Step Underbite

[​IMG]
    Robots in Disguise Steeljaw Robot Mode

[​IMG]
    Robots in Disguise Steeljaw Car Mode

[​IMG]
    Robots in Disguise Underbite Dinosaur Mode

[​IMG]
    Robots in Disguise Underbite Vehicle Mode

2. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok......I get that they're aiming for kids with these toys so thats acceptable. Anyways i personally don't like it. I feel like this line is an extreme failure unfortunately. I hope one day Hasbro tries to make a show and toyline for a more mature group soon. Like i said though this is clearly aiming for kids so yea........

3. KupCheck

KupCheck Well-Known Member

I like the fact that I see pins through the joints. If this is aimed at kids, it's nice to have a way to keep their toys together instead of in a million pieces.

4. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Selling oddities in a shack. In the woods.

The pictures are excellent; the review? Clearly Hasbro-friendly.

As much as I respect the need to handle TFW's relationship with Hasbro with kid gloves... these reviews kind of forgive too much.

Steeljaw feels CHEAP. The plastic does feel flimsy and weak, and the elbows will definitely break if you're not careful. :(  Even worse, mine felt loose and used. The joints just aren't tight enough, and even with the tail, he tends to flop down because of the looseness.

Underbite is Russian Roulette = maybe you'll get a good one, but maybe not. Mine was broken from GO. It would not stay in robot mode, so something clearly snapped or got dislodged - ergo, it's quite likely that even a good copy will break at some point (much like mini-Bronto-Heatwave). But then again, I'm not crazy enough to buy a second one and test this theory (needless to say, much of the Hasbro spring-loaded toys suffer defects and problems, if not right away, then further down the line). Springs eventually wear away, and some of these toys are just too delicate (i.e. Resce Bots Blades, Jet form). Just my :2c: . I kind of prefer Hasbro keep the springs away; they frustrate my family to no end (i.e. Bot Shot toys that keep popping out of alt mode! :banghead: ).

5. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've messed with mine since I got him and his elbows have never broken nor did I have any problems with joints, you shouldn't complain a review is shilling just because you're upset about your unit. Settle down.

6. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    None of these RID figures appeal to me, personally, but since they've been taking over store shelves, I've seen a LOT more kids looking and grabbing transformers in the toy aisle, so they obviously are doing something right. I applaud Hasbro when they do the right thing, and make toys for kids. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind adult collectors buying toys, and I don't mind toy companies making toys aimed for the adult collector, but the main focus of any major toy company should be the kids. Make toys for kids first, adult collectors second.

I personally feel that the CHUG line has spoiled too many adults into thinking they are entitled to things they want, and just "screw the kids, they'll just break toys anyway"... Which is a really nasty line of thought for toys. I hope Hasbro can maintain the kid-focused toylines. Adults can have masterpieces. Let kids enjoy their childhoods with fun and adventures. As a father of two boys, I think the pinnacle of transformers lines over the last decade was TF:Animated. The shows and toys were very kid friendly, and the line had enough winks to the 80's that parents enjoyed it too... Then hasbro slipped backwards with Prime, which was too moody, dark, and "grown up" for kids, and IMHO too boring for adults... Hasbro really needs to sit down and look at TFA for the "right" way to move the brand forward without 3 or 4 different toy lines.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I might need to pick up a Underbite.

I love his character so much.

8. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ummm how does any of this have ANYTHING to do with the quality of toys, even if the line is aimed at kids? Shitty quality build should not equal this line is for kids. I bought RID Grimlock and his left arm snapped in half just moving the freaking arm. Underbite is a floppy mess. I bought Drift and so far nothing has broken ... yet.

Hasbro has simply dropped the ball when it comes to the quality of the RID toy line. Hell they are going so cheap and lazy with later figures like Sideswipe where they just extrude plastic from the body of the toy and then slap wheels around them. The freaking front and back clips do not even match in color. Ugh. So again ... pumping out shitty built sloppy lazy designed toys is OK because it's aimed at kids?

9. Agregor

Agregor Unsanctioned Commando

Interesting

This line will go great for kids. This line for me, I'll swan dive into a couple of them and leave. I mean for all the complainers saying this line sucks. Well.... When have we had a perfect toy line? No line is perfect, there will always be a problem with the line. for those of u who want a more collector friendly line. Two words: Combiner Wars!

10. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't get why the card art for both Steejaw figures out on the shelves now show his human-like face when both figures use the wolf face.

This whole line is a pass for me. I loved Animated and Prime, and I'll probably watch this too, but no figures for me. Thank you, Hasbro, for the CW line. That's how you'll get my money.

11. Plainsjumper

Plainsjumper Well-Known Member

Strongarm is pretty decent. Steeljaw.... isn't. Underbite looks well put together and hopefully kids enjoy it--too simple for me though.

12. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

i have steeljaw, i like him, i like underbite too, but i'm waiting for a warrior figure,if we don't get that, i'll go with the upcoming legion figure

13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Kid appeal is okay. It's just really disappointing to hear that the quality isn't top notch with the line. I was excited about a line that might have lots of Decepticons to help make up for not enough Decepticon releases in the other lines, but ouch who wants to pay for low quality?

Not really sure why there needs to some sort hard line between collectors and kids. It's not like I didn't need some of the Transformers Prime figures just because I've got a Classics/Generations style collection.

14. webz

webz Banned

Ebay:
    Calm down. I wasn't talking about build quality. I was commenting on people complaining the new show and toys are too kiddy-fied. As for quality, I've seen enough kids running around with these transformers, and no one yet has been waving around a chunk of broken plastic, so they appear to work just fine for them... So again, take a chill pill, relax, and enjoy life. Try not to have an infarction because of a piece of plastic.

15. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    man, underbite is way too slender to really capture the character for me. the toy is too generic and dinosaury.

16. FruitBuyer

FruitBuyer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, should they instead make really high quality toys for a target audience that won't truly appreciate it? That's what the Generations line is for.

More money spent on RiD is less money on Generations. Take your pick.

17. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

unnecessary son. He's allowed to share his experience with his figure. You needn't be offended, or take it personal. It's all good.

18. RevenentPhoenix

RevenentPhoenix Decepticon DJ

Were these shown at toyfair? I don't remember seeing the RiD line. I'm curious to know what pics are out there and weather or not they are going to make some of my favorite characters.

19. knightmare6

knightmare6 Reflector In Disguise

Ebay:
    I thought about picking up Steeljaw, but after looking over the figure in Toys R' Us, I decided there was no way in hell I was dropping so much money on a crappy figure. So far I have only picked up Grimlock, who I enjoy fiddling with.