TFWe Issue 06 - October 2011 - Happy Halloween Hangover!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TFWe, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Whoa, Protoman is dude from Kickboxer 2-135334332323 and Step by Step!

2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fun little issue. Liked the top ten (which not coincidentally I have been targeting as aggressively as my bank account can withstand). Even though reviews and opinions differ, I think the fandom can usually agree on a few serious standouts of a wave of product.

No, I don't. You fell into a trap: of equating "Transformers" with "Transformers I like." Which is interesting considering your insistence earlier in the article of drawing a line between official TFs and "3rd party" products.

That said, I agree with your major point that it's absolutely trivial to answer the question of their exploding popularity. Hasbro and these small companies face very different realities. Myself and another fan can look at the DotM line and be dismayed for different reasons; me because their distribution and character selection is so wonky compared to the movie, another because their whole aesthetics are offensive to him. And a 10 year old might love it unreservedly.

Meanwhile, small companies could be inspired to start a major project based on lurking on a few boards like this and looking at what some hardcore fans are desiring. It's easy to predict what a relatively small number of "old-school" fans will pay tons for but that Hasbro just cannot release profitably.

3. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great read as always. I demand classic MONSTERBOTS.

this line didn't sit with me well, ”Beast Wars version of Grimlock”. Yeah, no.

I also didn't realize people were that excited for Transformers #81. While I love Furman and everything he's done for lesser known characters like Nightbeat, Hardhead, Bludgeon and Thunderwing I'm far, far more interested in IDW's development and direction of characters we think we already know. Perceptor, Prowl, Thundercracker and even Bumblebee come to mind. Am I interested in Transformers #125? Maybe not, but I personally feel Roche and Roberts will deliver on the MTMTE ongoing. It should be Last Stand of the Wreckers type of awesome.

Plus it'll have Drift. Transformer comic book fans LOVE Drift.

...don't they?

4. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I really enjoyed the piece about Armada game. (Not a fan of the last stage though, but the end credit was so worth it for the first time.)

Great tribute to Optimus_Scourge. I was just looking at his TFW toy galleries this morning and thinking of him again.

Thank you for the fantastic issue :) 

5. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I could not say this better myself. Also to expand on the Cyberverse, I don´t think it´s being shoved down the throats of fans. If anything it´s been receiving very good responses here.

6. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I don't have to feel guilty about thinking that the Armada game was good. I wasn't the only one.

There are other people who are more concerned with the single player in War for Cybertron? again, I'm not the only one? I thought all you guys just wanted to play Multiplayer!

To the guy who wants to see more variety in the multiplayer, how many variations of "drop them on a big map and let them shoot each other" do you think is possible? Hell, how much deeper can you make a FPS?

Finally, Optimus Scourge... I didn't even know him and I miss him! How the hell did he do that?!?!?

"Gimmie my toys... they're right there on the shelf, give 'em to me NOW!!!"

7. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Another great issue. Thanks to all the hard work from everyone involved.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'm a single player guy, I'm not very good at these games and I'm hopeless at multiplayer, so I prefer a nice solid single player campaign. At least then it's just me who gets to laugh at how bad I am ;) 

9. Enigma2K2

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We should Co-Op. Why they didn't include a split screen co-op in War for Cybertron baffles and angers me to this very day. It's the main reason I'm not rushing out to buy my own copy of the game.

10. Enigma2K2

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can he cut glass with that thing?[/sarcasm]

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Played the hell out of that Armada game, the bosses were a mfer in that game.
    Took me forever to kill Cyclonus.

It was awesome running around inside Tidal Wave. Will never forget strafing in the woods, and trying to get out of those damn riverbeds. Hangliding was a blast. Minicons were done well in that game.

12. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

Fun issue...I wish that in a future issue you could do a transformers the movie(1986) legends and realities article. Like things that were planned like Dirge getting piledrived to things that were always false like someone else doing a few of Unicron's lines. I am always interested in new facts and oddities to that great film. I would also like to say rest in peace Gary, you will be missed. EDIT: I actually missed issue 4, which actually has TFTM content like I was looking for. Hey, great minds think alike! HA HA.

13. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now i think about it, the whole Tidal Wave Level on the Armada game was perhaps one of my favourite gaming moments,

I think the last toy we know for sure to get GPS signs is movie preview Starscream, time will tell for Universe 2.0 Vector Prime and Tredbolt and perhaps even Henkei Dinobot should luck hate us.)

Also, was Guzzle a micromaster? I thought he was about minibot sized with a fire gimmick.

14. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I just want to thank all of you guys for taking your time to put these issues together. They are well thought out, very informative, and are from real transfans that have been with the fan community for years. Thanks again for your contributions to the fandom.

15. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Awesome issue. When will there be a downloadable version of this?

16. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Probably next week. Have a lot of stuff on my plate at the moment and need to get through that before getting to the PDF.

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, he was a Sparkabot. The Micromaster Shin's referring to was Flak, who is a part of Legion series 3.

18. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Indeed. Legends have been getting better and better, and so has their reception. Probably their sales as well, which inspired this move.

What's the difference between a Legend and a Legion? Nothing, except Legions are better. Crowbar, Soundwave, and Roadbuster are tiny gods.

Commanders gave us Guzzle (still looking!) and Powerglide, not to mention the best take on Blackout yet. BLACKOUT. And people just love the Optimus as well.

Sure, in the Mad Max petroleum-less future that confronts us, we may only have the Cyberverse or something like it someday. But I still go into aisles and see three Deluxes for every Legion, so it ain't gonna be soon.

The one disappointment about the Cyberverse to me is that the playsets are basically totally made up (i.e. not based on fiction) and/or kind of flimsy and silly-seeming. I just have Starscream's, and aside from being vaguely film-accurate in one mode, the best part is the 5 mm gun.

19. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Another interesting and informative issue, I've always (so far) learned some new tidbit about TF's!!
    Really enjoyed the top ten deaths and the Amarda game info, I still have my PS2! :eek:  :lol  Never have played multi-user and not likely to, so as for the wants for FOC, I would love to have a PC version too!
    I also enjoyed the Horrorcons article and pics, great job there...as well as the update on issue #81....can't say I'm too happy about issue #125, when I read that in our news section, I just felt like 'great, here we go again, how about something different?'. Hopefully Mr. Furman will do just that for those of us who liked the original comics.

All in all another fine issue, thanks and kudos to one and all, also want to mention the artwork, FANtastic job there too, love the cover, so Halloweeny...and thanks for taking the extra time from your RL to bring this e-mag to us. :thumb 

20. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Wanted to touch on this note, as our opinions after this quote were entirely the same.

While I do agree that it is hard to separate "Transformers" and "Transformers I like", I don't think I equated the two together, or at least not as much as you implyed.

I really feel that Hasbro is beginning to cheapen the Transformers line as a whole. What is their big, new marketing push? Cyberverse. Cyberverse, Cyberverse. And while that's cool for a lot of people who enjoy them, it's making me feel like we're beginning to harken back to the days of Micromasters and Micromasters playsets ... while these are larger than them, it's still the entirely same concept.

My fear is that in time, the entire Transformers toyline is going to be down to Legends/Cyberverse/Deluxe/Voyager ... and that's it. Cost cutting measures to keep the company profitable, or as most companies see it, MORE profitable ("if we eliminate three size classes, and increase the quantity in the on-going size classes that already sell well, we can make up the lost profit from eliminating the larger sizes easily!").

Leaving 3rd Party Companies to create what looks like and feels like a Transformer from the last 30 years as opposed to the new direction the franchise is headed (movie-esque designs, smaller, etc).