TFW2005 Staff Top Toy Picks of 2016

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by optimusfan, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Chromia76

Chromia76 Well-Known Member

Nice lists. I have to add to the MP Inferno and Triggerhappy love. Inferno is just a solid figure, complex but intuitive transformation, and that ladder is engineering magic. My only complaint about him would be that his waist doesn't lock into place, and his torso can flop forward at times.

As far as Triggerhappy.......best deluxe we've had in the last five years. Easily. Combiner Wars was GREAT at giving us reimagined combiners that worked well in combined mode, were good in vehicle mode, and decent in bot mode for the most part (I'm looking at you, Jumpstream/Wheeljack/Breakdown/Sunstreaker's thunder thighs and annoying hips). Maybe Arcee and Chromia come close for being the first true representation of the G1 character in a fun to transform and pose figure and an amazing retool of Prime Arcee, respectively.

But Triggerhappy is near perfect. Great proportions, good poseability, fun and distinctive transformation, and he looks amazing in both bot and alt mode. My single "complaint" would be that he's a Headmaster instead of a Targetmaster, but that's just my inner Geewunner talking.

2. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Yess.. MP Inferno, MP Optimus Prime and and Legends Super Ginrai plus Unite Warriors Computron made it on the Mods' list of top notch 2016 TF toys..
    Great picks, guys! :D 

3. geekatron prime

geekatron prime Master of the Kerfuffle

Some of my favorites of the year matched your guy's lists as well. Was a great year of innovated design and transformations. Can't wait to see what 2017 brings!

4. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    I don't care for Beast Wars, and I don't collect MPs. My best of for the year is all Hasbro, and while I lament the passing of Combiner Wars, Titans Return has pleasantly surprised me. I'd been looking forward to Bruticus and especially Computron all year, and Deluxe Groove was a random bonus find. Triggerhappy was a huge out-of-nowhere treat, and Soundwave and Blaster are impressive, playable, and fun.

Top 5:
    5. Titans Return Soundwave
    4. Combiner Wars Deluxe Groove
    3. Titans Return Triggerhappy
    2. Combiner Wars Bruticus with Perfect Effect PC-09
    1. Combiner Wars Computron w/ Perfect Effect PC-11 and PC-12

Honorable Mentions: Titans Return Blaster, Titans Return Chromedome, Titans Return Mindwipe, Titans Return Apeface, Titans Return Ptero, Titans Return Overboard, Titans Return Brawn, Titans Return Fangry.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  5. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Old):
    Tumblr:
    One clear winner for me this year :) 

Diabattles62a.jpg

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 3
  6. kaotika

kaotika Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    amusing how inferno wins while people on the mp33 thread wouldnt shut up about "lack of detail" and taktom going all cheap.
    said it before and ill say it again: ppl dont even want to be happpy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It would be interesting to see whether, had 3rd party figures been included on this list, some 3rd party items would have actually beaten out official figures.

For what it's worth I think Fanstoys Stomp was my figure of 2016, followed by MP Ratchet. All in all a pretty good year for high-end TFs even if it was crappy in many other ways.

IMG_3914.JPG

8. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm highly suspicious about these top picks for one obvious reason: Most of these figures were released in the last 2-3 months! MP Optimus Primal came out at the end of October, MP Inferno came out at the end of November, and Triggerhappy and Gnaw came out somewhere around those times (depending on your area). This list largely smacks of "new toy infatuation". What happened to top choices for some older figures like UW Computron and UW Bruticus or MP Ratchet or anything from the first or second Deluxe waves of Titans Return? This list only shows what short memories the staff have.

9. RavageX9

RavageX9 Tripredacus Agent

Masterpiece Optimal Prime takes my vote this year. Very good update to the figure and an amazing paint job.

10. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Old):
    If a figure truly rises above others in terms of detail, transformation, features, and overall enjoyment for an individual. Why would the release time even matter?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Exactly. For me, Primal won out on a combination of being a very well designed toy as well as a heavy hit on the nostalgia - he's the MP of the toy that got me back into collecting! If you look to the runners up, you'll also see a lot of the older releases are mentioned in there - the back end of the year has just been marked with some excellent new releases.

(Also, Cal, for what it is worth, I went back and forth over naming MP Hot Rod or Computron my favourite, all three were great releases. Mindwipe and Highbrow came out strongly too, but I only got to open them very recently so couldn't give them an honest assessment. Mindwipe still got in for his extremely cool look and the wings)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snowcat

Snowcat Animation Detective

Love how Vangelus always picks something out of left field!

13. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Old):
    Tumblr:
    Well the original toy was released in 1980 as Takara Diaclone Dia-Battles, and the bootleg of that was sold in North America under the "Kingdam" Takara-bootlegging brand. So, you're not that far off, it is a new version of that original sculpt!

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 1
  14. ca12nag3

ca12nag3 Well-Known Member

5 TR wolfwire
    4 MP Inferno
    3 CW Superion
    2 TR Triggerhappy
    1 UW Computron

Honorable mentionings

MP Ironhide/MP Ratchet,  CW Ultra Manus,  TR Wheelie,  TR Kickback & TR Powermaster Optimus Prime. 

Some toys like wolf wire and wheelie might be lower end but are great representations.  Wolfwire in my opinion narrowly beats Wheelie due to the lack of hold together as a toy. Still a great eye catcher. 

15. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    Great to see MP Primal featuring in so many peoples lists and in many cases in the top spot, he's certainly my favourite figure if the year and possible all time...hummm..need to think about that one. It does Go to show fan backlash and internet negativity is almost always a case of a small but vocal minority. I'm so glad to see so many welcome Beast Wars into the MP line.

16. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No disrespect intended, but who cares? Why does it always have to be a competition between official and not? This is an official list in a primarily official only forum, so it makes total sense to not include 3P stuff.
    I'm sure there's an unofficial list somewhere as well.

Personally, my figure of the year is MP Optimus Primal. He isn't my favorite Masterpiece, but is easily one of the best figures to carry (and deserve) the Masterpiece mantle.

• Like Like x 1
  17. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh there is but you miss my point. By having separate lists some of the 3rd party figures can't go up against figures from the same lines they're trying to integrate with (and successfully do in many of our collections).

18. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Awesome list... well articulated points by all of the authors here.
    If I didn't own nearly all of these items already, I'd say that this was a damn fine shopping list!

The repeating appearance of MP Optimus Primal on this list is music to my eye-balls. This is easily the most impressive toy that I bought in 2016...which is saying a lot. That was one darned good year for Transformers.

Thanks for sharing, guys! :cool: 

19. ionacus

ionacus Well-Known Member

so many good, no amazing, figures to choose from.

The best from my view

Titans return twinferno and triggerhappy

I couldn't put these guys down. I had them on display at my shop and people continually commented on them and wanted to buy them. Amazing figures with great transformations and articulation.

The worst, or the "meh" list

Titans returns breakaway

something about this guy bugs me. TR breakaway is just bland. A poor use of the chromdome mold. A nice figure but nothing that stands out. I could have gone without this one.

honorable mentions

The good
    TR rodimus
    TR skullsmasher
    RID windblade

The bad
    TR scourge
    TR legion class(meh)

The ugly

RID minicons
    RID one step changers

just my view on things. I don't collect masterpiece figures so I couldn't comment on them and I haven't picked up many RID figures. But I tried and I hope you guys agree with my list.

20. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The toys you bolded are mentioned in our "honorable mentions," or our overall top 5. Being in the top 5 is still very good. It's not the staff having short memories (so nice of you), it's rather many staff members and forum members think Inferno is a better toy than Ratchet, or whatever toy picked as "number 1".