TFW2005 Sound-Off! Which past Transformers series deserves more love?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Kickback, Aug 27, 2010.

?

SOUND OFF! Which series needs more love?

1. Machine Wars

5.9%
  2. Beast Machines

22.4%
  3. Robots in Disguise

41.8%
  4. Armada, Energon, Cybertron

12.0%
  5. Alternators

17.9%
  1. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    I voted when this poll opened up but i'm confused is this based on the cartoons, or are we basing these off of how well we liked the toys?

2. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

It's nice RID won, it certainly had it's momments and possibly deserved more. The small number of toys that were new were amazing as were some of the choices of repaints, it was the line that got me (and many others) back into Transformers after being turned off by Beast Wars due to bad case of illinformed 'Truck not monkey!'. If it had had more money or attention throw at it at the time Im sure it could have been awesome, but it didn't. It was really just a stop gap line of mostly repainted toys with a very silly, throw away, low quality TV show. I'm not sure if that good reason to revisit it or a good reason not too, but dispite voting for and still beliveing Beast Machines is more worthy of attention, I have to say well done RID you deserve it.

3. Bahamut Prime

Bahamut Prime Even Kaiba supports 'em!

Voted RiD - HUZZAH! :D 

4. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

RID was kind of a lame show but I guess versus it's competition it is easy to see why it won.

5. TerexO&K

TerexO&K Front Shovel

No series that was responsible for Kicker deserves any love.

6. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Totally agree with you about the whole positive vibe that CR/RID had going for it. It brought the fun back into watching a TFs cartoon and buying the toys. I don't know whether we were all enjoying the series through young, naive and rose-tinted lenses or whether there really was something about CR/RiD that was refreshingly different, but whatever it was, many of us fell for it.

Though a light-hearted tone worked for the cartoon, I do think that if we were to get a RID comic series, it would have to necessarily start delving into some more thoughtful and serious topics. As you start to explore a fictional universe and its characters in more detail, you are naturally led to consider things that delve deeper into characters and the worlds they inhabit. A RID comic series would have to tell and show us things that the TV show didn't.

I agree though that it would be good to maintain some of the original light humour of the show in a comic based off it, to preserve its 'feel' and familiarity. Ideally, fans of the show would like to pick up a comic about it and be able to envision that comic as a story that could fit into the fiction built by the cartoon series. And of course there are some characters with which humour is a natural part of, for example Sky-Byte!

7. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Sky-Byte, that's me!" :p 

I do agree, and would like to see the same thing. Afterall, the show was very basic and went for a "what you see is what you get" approach when it came to portraying the characters. And while I would love to see more depth given to the RiD/CR cast and their universe, I don't think I'd want them to get as heavy handed as something like IDW's "All Hail Megatron." Then again, I still haven't read Kickback's RiD fic, so I could still be proven wrong. :) 

8. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    :lol  LOL! Oh how i miss Sky-Byte's singing!

I wouldn't completely rule out a serious or slightly more darker apporach to a RID comic series. There can be benefits and things to appreciate from good thoughtful writing, whether it possesses humour or not. I think the key thing to remember is that there are certain situations and characters with which a little humour could work well, but others with which humour would be out of place or unnecessary. It's about knowing when are the right moments to use humour. So I guess it depends what kind of story is being told and about who that should determine the tone of the story-telling.

And you must get round one day to reading Kickback's RID fic. It's a more mature take on RID to be sure, but I guarantee it won't disappoint!

9. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    I'm going to give Kickback's fic a try - I've been considering writing my own RiD fanfic as I've always felt the universe was largely a 'blank slate' with a lot left unexplored - one of the reasons that particular continuity has always intrigued me. I'd go for a more serious tone, but with the kind of one-liners I put into my (currently defunct) photocomic. For now I'm working on my own take on the G1-verse, sort of a total restart a la Infiltration. I'll start serialising it on the boards when I've got enough to put up.

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    RID's cool cool to see it win.

I just wish the poll wasn't so damn biased. why bother having Alternators and Machine Wars when the Unicron Trilogy should of been split up into Armada, Energon and Cybertron.

11. Black Oracle

News Credits:
    I'm smelling a potential revival of RID through fanfiction! In addition to Kickback's RID series, I've also already written a short Scourge fic (see link below: "Autobot No More") which I'd like to build another story from if I get time in future. It'd be cool if Mako and you were to join us in adding your own RID fanfiction too. :wink: 

12. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know! I must write something for ol' SkyByte/ Gelshark!

13. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yes, Gelshark rules!