TFW2005 Sound-Off! - Which Masterpiece Rodimus Will You Get?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kickback, Oct 13, 2010.

?

TFW2005SO: Which Masterpiece Rodimus Figure Will You Buy?

1. Takara-Tomy Rodimus Convoy

33.8%
  2. Hasbro Rodimus Prime

24.3%
  3. Both!

21.9%
  4. Not buying either.

8.0%
  5. Not sure yet.

12.1%
  1. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I'm personally not getting either, and pretty surprised Rodimus got a Masterpiece before Soundwave.

2. general saberwi

general saberwi legoformer

i would get the takara version over the hasbro version, unless the hasbro version has something very special included

3. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I'm not sure if I'll buy either. I don't have any Masterpieces. Grimlock will be my first if I get him for Xmas. :D 

4. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Hasbro.

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I believe that's mostly due to the fact that Rodimus is a far more popular character in Japan than Soundwave ever was.

6. X-Brawn

X-Brawn Well-Known Member

Here's a question: I'm assuming Rodimus' trailer isn't getting released because of cost issues, a) why even release Rodimus at all without his trailer and b) why not release Hot Rod and Rodimus separately?

7. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Hasbro! Go cheap or go home!

8. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    a) Hasbro wants to release it but believes the retail outlets will balk because they think consumer base won't buy it at what would undoubtedly be an astronomical price tag. Keep in mind that TakaraTOMY can pull it off because the fanbase in Japan is far more different than what it is here. There's much more of a fanatical collector's fanbase there than there is here where much of everything is geared towards kids.

b) Designing, engineering, manufacturing, and producing two separate figures for the MP line will most likely be far more expensive than putting all of it into one. Plus there's no guarantee that if both figures were to be produced as separates that both would be popular. They probably thought it was a much safer gamble to put it all into one.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Typically for me I'm fine with retail purchases, but with the MP line I've splurged for the Japanese version (for the most part) so it's Takara-Tomy for sure. I want all the accessories anyway.

10. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    I've reconsidered my original position about not getting either and decided to go with the TakaraTomy version.

11. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm getting both. It's the same thing that I've done with all the MPs that have been released both in Japan and here in the US. There's usually some difference between the two releases and for the most part I'd rather have the Japanese version over the US one. I used to buy two pieces of each Japanese MP but now that they get US releases I buy one Japanese and one US.

I'd like to get the Japanese one now to ensure that I get one just in case the US one somehow never makes it here. And later when the US version gets released if it's got a Targetmaster then that's enough difference to justify getting it.

Besides at my age I display my stuff I don't play with them. I'd like a Rodimus Prime and a Hot Rod on my shelf because I won't transform one piece back and forth into both characters.

12. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    What do YOU think I am going to do...

hehehe..........hahahah..........HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Voted "not sure yet". I'm definitely not getting the Takara version, as I don't have $200 to blow on a single toy that isn't vintage G1. I also don't have the room to display trailers or battlestations, so the trailer component on the Takara version is just going to end up in a bin with all the other miscellaneous TF trailers I own. I can't see spending $200 on a figure when I know I'll just be putting about half of it in storage shortly after I get it. As for the Hasbro version, the trailer being removed and the (presumably) lower price is a big plus for me. However, I'm still going to need to see more pictures and reviews of the base figure, plus information on how much the US release will be and what accessories it will include, before I make my decision.

Another factor in my decision is the FP Protector upgrade. If it makes a good enough version of Rodimus Prime, I'll probably settle with that and skip MP Rodimus entirely.

14. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Bert the Stormtrooper Reivews

I'm going to do everything I can, to get the Japanese version. This will be my first MP figure that's NOT an American release. I'm pretty upset that they decided to omit the trailer for our version.
    Later

15. Kenucme

Kenucme Yes, I'd get that one too

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm interested in both. I'm staying up with the Hasbro Masterpieces so far, but the Takara version is what I really want. The trailer is the selling point to the degree that I want a second to open.

My Takara MP Grimlock stayed in package, and I bought two Hasbro Grimmys so I had one to open and display. The opposite will likely be true for MP Rodimus. But only if I can afford it.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Both. As one of the people who dissected early images to figure out that the thing even had a Hot Rod mode, it would be stupid for me not to get the full figure, after all that.

Why a second? Because it'll likely have new accessories, and I can display Hot Rod and Rodimus together in vehicle mode. Even though I could kind of do that with just the Takara one, if I didn't mind Rodimus not having wheels or the spoiler.

17. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    I had to go with "Not sure yet" and that's true..First my loyalty is always with the one and only Prime that matters to me..Optimus ;)  Never really was a Hot Rod or Rodimus fan to speak of, however if there's a good coupon somewhere, sometime, or a good BOGO maybe I would buy the Hasbro version. Only Hasbro.

18. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Almost certainly Hasbro. If not, neither.

I'm collecting much less now, and as awesome as this figure is, I won't drop 2 bills on it. Moreover, I don't need a large, mostly useless, hunk of plastic hogging shelf space. And in the end, I always liked Hot Rod more than Rodimus Prime. So long as I can turn him into the awesome no-longer-future race car, I'm cool with the alt mode.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Takara, because I like Rodimus more than Hot Rod.

20. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe Is it...Safe???

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    probably neither...don't want hasbro without trailer (it would always feel incomplete to me) and can't afford japan with trailer.