TFW2005 Interview from Hascon

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tony_Bacala, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nah if I were him I'd be less of a tease.

Posting full shots of a toy instead of cropping, dynamic action poses, et al. The hero this fandom needs but might not be ready for. The Optimus gone Nemesis.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Type-R

Type-R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed. You can already see Hasbro's hand in things like the outer packaging design (mainly the back of box), inner packaging (open tray with plastic ties. At least TakTom decided to do a proper clamshell tray for MPM-4) and forced suggested age group (8+) on the box.

Who knows what other compromises were made (budget for paint apps, accessories etc.) were made for the figures to meet Hasbro's requirements.

3. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    Thats exactly what a Notrab would say....

:lol 

• Like Like x 1
  4. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Welp..this interview was pointless..

5. Boople Barp

Boople Barp Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    "We're very excited about the property, we've got new things coming up, and we're not going into detail, but we hear what fans want!"

"where the fuck is my apeface you dirty sticker-using corporation"

• Like Like x 6
  6. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    My biggest quesion is still G2 Defensor. They were so close. Three of five (Six if you count yellow AND orange Devastator) possible G2 sets. Not to mention Piranacon and Monstructor.

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah yes, I can't wait for Hasbro to release more G1 MPs so I can buy them off of Toys R Us shelves months late instead of simply importing them for a fraction of the price. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  8. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    The site, and really interviewers in general, have to maintain good standing with those they interview on a regular basis to maintain getting those interviews or other tips and connections. What you're asking for is literally burning bridges with the people that handle the brand on a regular basis by a fansite that deals with the brand on a regular basis. Why would either want to burn those kinds of bridges with any kind of negativity? This isn't some kind of deep interrogation over child labor infractions or otherwise. This is an interview about the upcoming figures they are allowed to talk about, and how excited many fans are about what was shown, along with some talk about potential future ones from vocal demand.

They pretty much told you those characters are highly likely for the future, especially as fan demand for them is very vocal and that the tech developments that we're seeing now will be cross compliant for years to come even after the trilogy.

Not sure why you'd even expect some kind of 60 minutes or Dateline style interrogative line of questions. It's a toyline for fans and kids. They are toy designers of transforming robots. The entire thing will always be a "fluff piece" as the topic itself will always be a "Fluff piece." They handle the design of toys.

What kind of "depth" were you walking in even expecting? Especially from a friendly chat during Hascon?

• Like Like x 9
  9. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

LOL. Pretty much this. I think a lot of fans know that at this point these interviews are basically an exercise in getting a sliver of a hint of the future. Hasbro is not gonna say, "Yeah, Titan Class Scorponok Megatron for 2019. It will be using new Matrix-Combiner gimmick. And the micromasters are returning but will be completely different but backwards compatible with Titan and Prime Masters."

You could get John Stewart or whomever is your favorite tough question reporter person asking questions and you'd get the same results. Maybe fans should just be more realistic and reasonable. The designers aren't also gonna say "yeah, we know you hate that thing we just did with that one toy. I hope you don't hate more of the stuff we just announced. We know we fail at pleasing everyone."

C'mon!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    This reminded me of John Olliver's interview with Stephen Hawking :lol 

11. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    Check his post history. Nothing more needs to be said.

12. Jumacas

Jumacas Banned

News Credits:
    So, it seems we concluded that the fandom is entitled to hold a corporation accountable for their decisions and tactics. Hasbro is all knowing and deserves our blind support.

Why are you around a TF fan community page again, then? How can you justify spending on these things and not care about creativity and artistry? How can you justify getting in the trouble of bashing another person over the internet for toy robots that you think low of? What is your angle here? It seems insane.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  13. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    With the Hunter PR Hasbro website Q&A a few years ago, I got the impression that what kind of answer you'd get was depending entirely on whether an actual Hasbro employee was available that day and in what mood they were. Sometimes you'd get a totally straight, useful, detailed answer with inside information and sometimes you'd get utterly useless PR wash by someone who more than likely never even consulted with an actual Hasbro employee.

And I'm not talking about "What toys are you doing next". I always found those questions pointless, as they're more than likely to get a non-answer (though I recall a few instances when the Q&A suddenly prompted a "Yeah, this character is coming next" answer because Hasbro was just about to announce it anyways). I'm talking about questions that ask for behind-the-scenes information, why certain choices were made etc. Questions about existing product are much more likely to get an answer, but still, sometimes you'd get a precise answer from a designer while other times a PR drone would just rattle off a few buzzwords. There was no real rhyme or reason to it.

15 years ago other websites complained that one site shouldn't have exclusive access to a Hasbro staffer so Hasbro pulled the plug entirely. "If we can't have it, they shouldn't either". And I know that one site in particular is commonly blamed, and yet we had a former staffer from another site insisting that the owners of the site he used to work for were just as guilty.

But what use is continuing access to Hasbro when you don't get anything useful out of it? Access for the sake of access is pointless.

It's like journalists not asking the government any hard-hitting questions for fear of no longer being able to ask the government softball questions and thus appear relevant.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 I HAVE THE POWER!

News Credits:
    And you didn't ask about stickers because?

15. Nevermore

News Credits:
    According to Hasbro, because everyone loves them because they're a throwback to the good old G1 days?

16. Smitty.1981

News Credits:
    No, I want to know why there have been two conventions and at least three interviews since Hasbro started using stickers and no one has had the balls to tell John that the stickers suck?

17. Nevermore

News Credits:
    People don't dare losing their direct access to Hasbro so they can continue asking them softball questions.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I suppose it's a reasonable assumption that they do at least know that we want them to revisit combiners and Headmasters going forwards and we are not bored with them just yet. not to mention the interest in Targetmasters.

I wonder if Leaderclass Hotrod is to large to be sold as a deluxe - or perhaps put in a boxed set on his own as if he was a deluxe only with a Targetmaster included with him.

I'd certainly not mind a Targetmaster focus with perhaps some G1 Euro sprinkles on top. The other idea people seem to like is making Actionmaster Characters as full transformers.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Smitty.1981

News Credits:
    That's bull shit. If we have thus kind of opportunity we should use it to let then know that there is something we don't like.

20. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you don't like the stickers.

1) Send a message to Hasbro Customer Service
    2) Post reviews on Amazon and eBay decrying them
    3) Post it on Hasbro Facebook page Transfomers Youtube page

Eventually it will get through. failing that actually write the two guys in question an actual letter in the post. and the novelty of getting actual mail these day means he might read it.

Also isn't there supposed to be some middle aged blonde woman that is the 'brand manager' of Transformers ? Or have they been moving around staff again.
    Why is it the Product Design Manager John Warden and Marketing Director Ben Montano we keep hearing from and not the actual Brand Manager ? Why don't they get involved much - I'm sure I saw someone saying they were Brand Manager in one of the promo videos on Trypticon some weeks back.

----

But it's not so much the stickers I'd complain about as it is that they are pre-applied and poor quality if they were not - pre-applied I could just leave them off if they were better quality of more sensitively placed they'd not be such an issue.

I'm not keen on mirror back stickers though they look strange to me as the backing on stickers wasn't often than shiny on Transformers it was more of a flatter silver more often than not. I recall thinking that silver shiny backing didn't look right when they did it on some G2 toys and I still think it looks off.

So thicker stickers, or on a sheet or better placed in suitable cut outs and not mirror backed would be a start.
    Or even better ditch them entirely they are are a technological step backwards - and Titans Returns showed how nice Tampos can look (like on Brainstorm's wings).

• Like Like x 1