TFW2005.COM Sound-Off! - Transformers Prime Premiere Final Thoughts

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Kickback, Dec 16, 2010.

?

TFW2005.COM Sound-Off! - Final Thoughts on Transformers Prime Premiere

1. Excellent

53.2%
  2. Good

26.5%
  3. On the Fence

11.8%
  4. Bad

5.6%
  5. Horrible

1.5%
  6. Did Not Watch

1.3%
  1. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

I greatly enjoyed the story so far. The designs, on the other hand, were OK at best. I don't hate them, but I don't love them either. Mostly the Decepticons (that have a name, I like the drones) that I don't like. And the animation seems a bit off, a little quirky and slow at times. But those two things (design and animation) sure didn't take away from my enjoyment of the story.

Side note: Mr. Bay, this cartoon shows how to do an action scene. Close ups and quick cuts are included, but not overkill. They're frantic and engaging, but I can still tell who is doing what!

2. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Soundwave is not an GIRL!, the "Female" Voice is Actually an Playback fo arcee voice at least thats what i heard

3. dr.b

dr.b Well-Known Member

I thought the show was going to be completely kiddy, but was surprised at the dark undertones they placed in it. The children they place in the show aren't as annoying as I dreaded, and balanced out the presence of the overgrown Pokemon named Bumble Bee with the gruff and cynical Ratchet. My real beef is with Optimus! Everything he says is in a serious and mournful tone. Prime takes the air out of the room every time he speaks. In the G1 cartoons, he could relax and even laugh with his troops but would get serious on the battle field. This Prime never lets up and could give Dead End a run for his money.

4. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Good. Mostly because it´s hard to judge a show on a 5 episode premiere.

5. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

Best Transformers show ever! Way better than Animated! I liked Animated, but this is a far more mature and interesting take on Transformers in my opinion.

6. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

I agree that Prime needs to lighten up a bit. Even in the G1 cartoon, Prime had some humorous moments, especially when Spike was teaching him basketball. I understand, however, that this Prime is a more realistic one who's seen alot of battle and those close to him die. He's naturally not going to be so chearful.

7. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Excellent.

I felt this was the strongest start any Transformers cartoon has yet gotten, and I'm eagerly awaiting new episodes.

8. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel it's brilliant: already more engaging than Animated and darker than the films, though I don't mean to be overly critical of those two incarnations of Transformers. Can't wait for the full series and the whole Prime take on the mythology. While I thought WFC was a mediocre game, I loved Exodus and seeing how much they share in common with or deviate from the Hasbro story bible will be a lot of fun. You had the sense the bots were really in a war that they didn't want the humans to share in its devastation, and the animation is really good, beautiful colours and some excellent detail in the battle damage and Prime's neck.

For me, Optimus, Megatron, Bumblebee and Starscream capture the essence of their film designs, while Ratchet and Bulkhead have come out well out of stepping out of Animated. Arcee, Cliffjumper and Soundwave felt very unique. My only design criticism is that Prime's exhaust vent and Starscream's crest on their heads don't come far down enough to form a nose.

I've liked the humans, Jack's very sensible, Raf's ok and Miko's annoying but in an understandable way (she never saw the bots and cons fight afterall), and Fowler's awesome. Their interactions with the Transformers really brought out of Prime's distantness, Ratchet's crankiness, Arcee's mix of sisterly and maternal strength, Bulkhead's clumsiness and protective character, as well as Starscream's sadism.

9. T.F. Allen

T.F. Allen Formerly known as Krem

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    A lot of people seem to hate - or at least dislike - the kids in this show. I, on the other hand, seriously think they may be the best human cast yet.

Here's what I have to say about each character including the humans and excluding the ones who need not be spoken of:

Optimus Prime: Peter. Cullen.
    Megatron: A big improvement on the original G1 version that Welker did. This Megatron seems a lot more... evil. He also seems less insane while at the same time seeming more insane than ever before.
    Starscream: G1 personality (minus most of the stupid), Unicron Trilogy-ish voice, Animated chin.
    Arcee: It was necessary to make her blue, yes. But I would've called her Chromia because of it. However, her personality, while it kicks skidplate, seems more appropriate for Elita-1. I do like her relationship with Cliffjumper and where it takes her.
    Cliffjumper: In about two minutes, he managed to make us love him enough to gasp and then be sad when he died. Unlike Movie Jazz, when we were like "Oh, he's dead."
    Bumblebee: Cute.
    Ratchet: YES.
    Bulkhead: He may be a copy of Animated Bulkhead, but he has more depth and I can see him having a lot of character development in the future.
    Eradicons: They are not drones, which I love. Each has a personality and I loved their chatter. They were amusingly stupid.
    Soundwave: Interestingly, he makes no sounds of his own. I love how even when he can't talk, he can still insult Starscream. His silence, however, makes him seem very creepy and I think he's going to be the humans' main adversary in the future. He appears to be out to get them after Raf's little excursion.
    Jack: A bit like Sam Witwicky. At first, he doesn't want to have any part of this whole brouhaha and would rather have a normal life. At least he's not boy-gets-motorcycle-gets-girl. Yet. I just hope there's not going to be a romance with Miko.
    Miko: At first, you think she's just the Transfan in the show. Then, you see her character really does have a deeper side to her. I can't wait to see how she will evolve.
    Raf: He is Chip Chase plus Coby Hansen. The best thing for him, though, would be that Soundwave could put him in a wheelchair. I can see that happening and how it could affect the series.
    Fowler: coughgallowaycough

10. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It feels like after wading through more or less hit-or-miss crap for the past 10 years, Transformers is finally a worthy re-boot of the version that I got obsessed with back in 1984 at 6 years old. Best series yet.

11. thygriever

thygriever Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    It was pretty awesome but not perfect. However one thing is for sure, Prime is COOL AGAIN :)  More episodes please!

12. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    I was very blown away by this series, and I'm sure I'll be as enveloped in it as I was with my other favorites, Beast Wars and Animated.

The scripting is great and thoughtful, and we finally get to see some full-time screentime from Peter Cullen as Prime rather then in the movies when they're restricted by a budget and the need for time for lame jokes. It's basically Movies Animated - how the movies could be if they were written in a strong and powerful, and most importantly meaningful manner. I can't believe Kurtman and Orci were responsible for this series and the dissapointing ROTF.

The robot designs are very crisp, very fluid, and very much harkening back to Animated, the films, and of course G1. Prime, Ratchet, Bulkhead, Megatron, the Eradicons and Starscream are very clear homages to their Animated counterparts (the Eradicons resembling Lockdown). Bumblebee is a less complex and fiddly Movie Bee, and Arcee's got her movie cycle mode, and Animated Prowl's robot mode. Soundwave not only evokes memories of ROTF Soundwave, but of BM Jetstorm as well. There's not as much diversity with the designs as I'd like (there's so much more then Animated and the films in the mythos), and I'm a bit dissapointed we're not getting something totally new bar Soundwave and the Eradicons, but this is a small nuisance.

The voice acting is very strong, with Arcee, Ratchet, Starscream and Megatron stealing their scenes. The Autobots very clearly feel grief, and Starscream is as complex and sneaky as ever. Frank Welker's Megatron voice is a huge step forward from his G1 voice (which sadly has aged not too well over the years), and now I'm very happy to have Welker back. Megatron's portrayal in this series has the brutality and rage of Movie and WFC Megatron, but the cold, calculating ruthlessness and uncaringness of Animated and BW Megatron. I love Megatron in this series!

The animation is very good - not Beast Machines good, but it'll get better once the animators get the kinks of the show, such as Beast Wars' animation improving between the three seasons. The lip synch is also very good... in closeups. Whenever a robot isn't in closeup shots, the lipsynch is sub-par, and the robots' face look kinda bland and bored. See Prime when he's explaining, "To protect your world from the Decepticons" in Part 1 to Jack.

My favorite cast of humans has been the Animated cast, even the villains, but Jack, Raf and Fowler are easily challenging them. Yes, so far I'm not a fan of Miko, but the script should definetly mature her over the series. Jack's mature and obviously cares about his friends and their safety, and Raf is cheerful and likable. Even Fowler's really likable to me, and I've probably never warmed up to humans this fast in a series.

I love this show so far - it could definetly have a chance of dethroning Animated and Beast Wars from my favorites - and I was very pissed to hear it won't return until February. I want more, darn it!

EDIT: One final note. I LOVE Prime's facial animation in the series. I just for some reason love how much emotion he's able to put into his face. I could sit and rewatch every time he says, "If they're scouting for Energon..." in Part 1, and "Possibly your only hope against the Decepticons" in Part 2. I don't know, I just love Prime's facial animation! :D 

13. Sky St0rm

Sky St0rm Well-Known Member

Ditto.

14. Sparkplug2517

Sparkplug2517 Member

sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who remembers seeing a toy proto of megs that was going to be used for animated but was cut.....how odd that that toy now looks like tfp megs.

15. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    I'm dissapointed with the show. It feels too much like the movie to get into. Why for the love of God can't they come out with a show like the in the 80's? Then build off of that and go with it. There have been sooo many different versions of how the whole thing began and this one feels like someone just got the go ahead to run with it and hey what do you know its another bay movie type movie cartoon thing, except no explosions like his. All in all, I'm disspointed, I was expecting a lot more and it did not deliver. Say what you will but I will not be watching it in the future.

16. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    I chose excellent, quite simply because it was. Some more believable human characters (specifically Fowler) a few questions left unasnwered to keep us interested (Raf, the next Decepticons) not to mention some fantastic fight scenes, animation, voice acting, and characterization for all the robots. I can't wait for more episode!!!

17. Kapit

Kapit Badass?

I can't take that novel seriously. The events in it didn't even line up with the game! How they can consider that canon is beyond me.

And really, the game was only one part of the war. I'm more interested in seeing its beginnings than anything else. Everyone loves a good origin story.

Beast Wars was quite the departure, and look how well it did. A whole generation of kids became fans simply because of that show. With TF: Prime I just get the sense that they're trying to tap into the Movieverse market. They've already got those fans--Do something different and hook a whole new generation.

18. Lacimehc

Lacimehc Tastes like medicine

Because that would be awful... The 80's are over.

19. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Well, Beast Wars also came in a time where interests in the previous series was all but gone, so they didn't have anything to lose in trying something outside the box. The thing about the new generation right now is that they've already hooked it. And if they changed it up too much right now, they would risk losing some of that new audience.

20. Gill Hustle 617

Gill Hustle 617 Member

Just finished all 5 parts . . . MOAR PLEAZ!