TFW, what were the 90s like?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Megatron118, May 29, 2016.

1. AlexJMurphy1982

AlexJMurphy1982 Well-Known Member

But the 90s had comic gems like The Maxx, Sin City, 300, The Mask, Alien vs Predator, Robocop vs Terminator, Kingdom Come and more.

2. zappatton2

zappatton2 Well-Known Member

I was already in my teens/20's in the '90's, and super-cynical about the decade, as I still liked the music and scenes from the 80's. That said, in retrospect, it was the best time of my life, and I totally didn't appreciate it at the time. I suppose that's the story of many a misspent youth, you never know what you have 'til it's gone. Plus, The Simpsons from seasons 2 to 8 was greatest show ever!!!

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yes those were good but that was the minority. Mostly you had to deal with leather jackets, huge pouches and everyone had giant guns
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I could show more but I think I've made my point.

Only thing really good back then were the prices.

4. AlexJMurphy1982

And did you think it was an "extreme" decade? and some people took the wrong lessons from Alan moore and Frank Miller?

5. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I enjoy being a "Gen X'er" specifically because most of us are 80's/90's hybrids. By being born in the late 70's, that made our pinnacle life shaping decade fall between 1985-1995 give or take a year on either side, which is virtually unrivaled when it comes to all things music, a golden age of iconic and industry changing movies, the last golden age of cartoons imo, innovations like the internet, the advent of digital music, the last cultural movements of grunge and another British invasion, my favorite fashion era (Docs and combat boots, band T's, plaid/flannel shirts, ripped jeans, chains), DVD's becoming the norm, festivals like Lollapalooza, etc. And even all that is just the tip of the iceberg of everything else that happened/changed throughout those particular years.

But if I had to choose a traditional decade span, then I'd lean towards the 90's mainly because they honed everything the 80's were starting & trying, and made up the entirety of my teenage years to early 20's. To this day, I'm hard pressed to think of a better time than 1990 to about 1998. It's unbelievable how much can happen within such a short window like that when you're coming into your own and discovering all the things that ultimately make you who you are no matter what decade it is.

• Like Like x 7
  6. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    To think that in a couple of months the 90s decade will be twenty years old...

Anyway, I may be biased since I grew up in that era but the entertainment was great, the music had a great pop beat, life felt like sunshine back then.

7. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot *º*Hockey mom and coach*º*

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    This guy bumping old threads :lol . How did you join yesterday and already have 70+ posts? My god man.

8. AlexJMurphy1982

Just looking for some fun threads to reply to you know.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Sounds fun, but the rules say not to bring back zombie threads over a year old with no replies. TFW2005 Rules

10. AlexJMurphy1982

Well alright, i read the rules there and will obey.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

The 1990s can be summed up like this:

The 1980s was cool and thought of itself as super cool, eternal, and indestructible. The 1980s then went to have one last party before becoming an adult, but instead of having just a couple of drinks and meeting its soul mate, ended up having 10 AMFs and some blow, unwittingly hooked up with the 1970s, and 9 months later had a baby that was searching for something to believe in. It didn't appreciate what it had, preferred to cry about what it did NOT have, constantly went from trend to trend to try and find an identity, was more interested in being a part of small tribes which were giving the finger to the society which gave it countless freedoms and opportunity, and then when all the internal chaos seemed to finally begin to settle, 9/11/01 went and brought it all back down to zero again.

That's the 1990s from my perspective.

12. zappatton2

zappatton2 Well-Known Member

Is there a reason, logistical or otherwise, why it's bad to bring back old threads? Not questioning it at all, I'm really just curious, and Google isn't terribly illuminating on the matter. Or course, this could well count as derailing, so yes, 90's were a good time, from the sober moments I can recall.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Venixion

Venixion Resident Feather-brain

News Credits:
    From the toon perspective great! We had a lot of damn good toons. Nick ruled the airwaves with a playful wacky zest, Disney wasn't shit on a stick.

From a fashion sense. Kinda eh.

Fron a music sense. Terrific. Good grunge, hip hop, rap, pop, metal. I remember ska was popular.

From a social sense. In many ways more common sensical. In some ways dumb. But that's society I guess. 1 step forward, 1 back.

From a party sense. I don't know. I've never been one for parties, raves and clubbing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Not sure, like the rules say, it's just generally frowned upon to do so. I think one thing, which I've brought up before is that people have died and have had friends on the forums, it's painful to see their old posts from old threads. Also, that in TF section things in the lore change so much, so threads can get outdated fast. Also, if you respond/ quote someone who posted years ago and no longer post, the discussion won't continue? I mean all guesses from me.

15. JonoPrime

JonoPrime Well-Known Member

@AlexJMurphy1982 I appreciate you bringing this thread back to life :)  ... Its been a positive and uplifting read to revisit what it was like in the good ol’ 90s!

16. Blackout32

Blackout32 PANTERA FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Well for me it was some Transformers on WGN Chicago on weekday morning before school and Beavis and Butthead for afternoon sorta evening. Listening to alot of Alt rock bands then like Soundgarden,Alice in Chains,Nirvana,Pear Jam,Stone Temple Pilots and the list goes on. You basically lived for the weekend so too speak (pun intended) for tv on Saturday nights. When MTV was GOOD it was Headbangers Ball on Saturday nights at friends house from 10:30pm till 2am. So having a band and trying to play friends partys for cash and just having fun then too. So playing a party or 2 making cig money and gas in the tank and a 20oz dr.pepper at that and find a girlfriend too keep me busy alot. The 90's pop culture influence in bands,food,lifestyle was just different at that time and i really miss it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Eyescream

Eyescream Instrument of Destruction

The '90s...my favorite decade. I grew up during the '80s (graduated from high school in '91), but became who I am (for better or worse) in the '90s. Loved the "hair metal" bands in high school, but related much more to the "grunge/alternative/Seattle" bands during/after college. I saw Michael Jordan retire, then come back a year-and-a-half later. I watched the cops chase O.J. Simpson on split screen while the Knicks and Rockets were battling for the NBA championship in '94. During the early part of the decade, the only "reality TV" was "The Real World" on MTV. And MTV still played music videos. I was amazed by this newfangled telephone invention known as "caller ID." I experienced the dawn of the internet as we know it. People carried "pagers." And I downloaded *so* many songs from Napster before you had to pay for Napster.

Now, I'm an old man, still listening to those songs that I downloaded from Napster in the '90s and collecting toys that originated in the '80s. Funny how things work. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  18. Blackout32

Blackout32 PANTERA FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Yep,... i so remember ALL of this since 95' was my grad yr. Napster was also a VERY interesting idea for me but that got clamped shut somewhat quickly sending everyone into scared hiatus into the underground. So if anyone knows what i mean you was there and of age. I had a beeper myself but never really got any calls but AOL was a great tool for finding a date back then to go too the local clubs. With having my B-day today makes me feel old cause i so remember all of this and a ton more like it as if it was just yesterday it seemed. Wow has time flew by and you just can't take a snap shot to go back and live there in just 1 more time in that time frame. Why can't we just rewind the tape and press play just 1 more time.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Subdurmal

Subdurmal Well-Known Member

Ah the 90s.

Gen 2 transformers
    Magic the gathering
    And tons of binge drinking

What a decade

20. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

The 90s were a glorious time. Not as glorious as the 80s, but still a lot better than the 2000s and on.

• Like Like x 1