Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Smashs, Jun 1, 2017.
Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong
Problem is, I've seen The Last Knight, and given how much unnecessary footage was included in the final cut, your point about a film "needing to be longer" is not applicable to this specific case.
(when I say "unnecessary footage," I am referring exclusively to scenes in the movie that did not affect the plot in any way)
Which is exactly the kind of thing bay would do...to him what you see on screen and the little funny bits are unfortunately more important than plot. For example there's an entire section of the conversation with Megatron and Lennox that just isn't there, the cut is rather obvious. Instead that time was used for the rather awkward talisman scene on the sub, they bay was probably laughing his butt off at, while everyone else was just sitting there in ackward silence.
Funny you said this because a friend of mine posted the "Martha" meme aplied to that scene and yeh, it suits it very well. xD I can imagine Prime being shocked by hearing Bee's voice after..dont know..hundreds of years? But, yeh, was a bit too forced. ^^'
I totally agree.
Drift is alive. He was flying the ship.
I am going to view it again tonight to get a better opinion of the film. I was already extremely exhausted from working and fishing in the heat that day and driving a few hours before I saw it, so I want to see it when I'm not too tired to see if my opinion changes.
I will say that while I didn't like it as much as AOE or DOTM I also think it has some redeeming qualities that are being overlooked or dismissed. I still think there should have been explanations for certain changes and that things were more consistent with what had been established in previous films.
Saw it today. Had its moments but man was it a slog. Lot of huge exposition chunks, lots of eye-rolling \"humor\" moments, very disjointed story-telling. I enjoyed AoE, but this was a definitely downgrade. Though thankfully nowhere near as much of a downgrade as RotF.
Stuff I liked:
- The bots whenever they were on-screen were clear and easy to make out. Glad that carried over from AoE. Including the increased dialogue. The fact that the decepticons spoke more than one line astounded me.
- Cogman and Anthony Hopkin\'s character were highlights. Thought both were great and you could tell Hopkins was having fun at least.
- Isabella\'s backstory set-up about being a loner but wanting a stable family was great and I wish /she/ was the focus with Cade as her mentor/new father figure rather than \"A human\'s the chosen one\" again.
- Megatron. I just really like Movie Megatron and he looked his best here.
- Barricade. It\'s Barricade. He survived again. He looked awesome. He spoke, practically sounded the same as in the first film. And they were making him the Bumblebee to Megs\' Optimus. I can dig this.
- Infernocus looked awesome and I loved how he combined. Our first traditional-looking combiner in the series...he got instantly jobbed, but I mean I\'ll take what I can get.
- The callbacks to other films. The fact that it starts in the portion of Chicago that was ravaged in DotM. The shots of Hong Kong and Egypt. The return of \"No sacrifice, no victory\", I like that they at least acknowledged things that have happened.
- Not killing off the main villain immediately. That\'s twice in a row and in the end it\'s for the better.
As for the negatives:
- Once again, not enough focus on the Transformers and too much focus on human issues and the military. The lack of the latter is what made AoE a better film. I mean we had a longer scene of Cade, Isabella and Cade\'s assistant guy trying to escape drones than we did with the Autobots fighting Megatron and his decepticons.
- Too many instances of bots being one-offs. The tank Autobot. The biplane(?) Autobot. That Constructicon in Cade\'s junkyard when everyone\'s about to escape being hunted. They\'re not just wasted on screen, but I\'m sure they\'re wastes of money when it comes to the production.
- Cogman is a headmaster but never transforms. Why even mention it in the first place.
- The decepticons are wasted again. Why give each of them an over-the-top introduction scene (which yeah, makes them look like stereotypical gangsta thugs) only to kill off half of them after 5 minutes. Hell the scene of the TRF and their lawyers negotiating with Megatron was really dumb...It felt like some sort of Suicide Squad parody.
- No one is a likeable character in this film. No one. Everyone is a snarky asshole. Even the children.
- The opening portion of the film was shottily edited and too jerky. As if there were missing scenes.
- Since when could Bumblebee Iron Giant himself back together? He did this twice. When did this start? And when did Wheelie find Cade? Did they mix him up with Brains? One thing these films can never escape is obvious and head-scratching continuity issues.
- The dialogue was trying waaaaay too hard to be snarky and edgy. Cursing and snarky remarks from everyone, regardless of character. Cade, Bee, Isabella, Hopkins, Cogman, freaking MERLIN... It got tiring.
- The romance between Cade and Vivian was totally eye-rolling. For all the reasons you can expect. Stilted dialogue, \"We hate each other but grow to love each other\", lol you\'re American and I\'m British and vice versa. Bluh.
- Nemesis Prime potential totally squandered. Especially after all the set-up, unintentional or not, the films put Prime through to go down a dark path.
Overall...A boring action flick. And I enjoyed the last 4 to various degrees upon first viewing. Here I was shifting about, yawning, stretching and waiting for the end to get here.
I know why some people like it - for many it was a defining element - but I take more TF action and less annoying humans any day of the week. And TF4 and TF5 thankfully started moving in that direction. I mean, before Lockdown, did we ever had a proper villain in these movies? Megatron barely had lines in the 3 movies prior to that or any interaction with, well, anyone. Shockwave never even talked!
I hated RotF, though not as much as DotM. It was a cluster*** and obviously written by Bay due to the writer strike, added to a sketchy draft the writers lined up. TF5 has far better writing, and mostly, we don't have characters who are as annoying as Sam's roommate (I will never care enough to remember his name), his parents, or Simmons - who was far worse in RotF than in any other of the 5 movies.
Given that Barricade died once in 2007 off-screen when fighting Bee, then was seen in car mode racing towards the final battle only to disappear again without explanation... and then come back in DotM where he was seen in robot mode and got killed TWICE on-screen... maybe it is for the best no-one tried to explain it. Or we could have ended up in fanfic-like explanations... that maybe he is the Doctor and he has various incarnations running around, or that he has Barricade-Bots of himself who are exactly like him, like Dr Doom's Doombots, and those got killed...
This was a complete piece of garbage. I loved, save for a few nitpicks, the first movie in 2007. It satisfied my desired to see what a Transformer movie could be. Wasn\'t perfect, but a solid start. ROTF sucked save for the robot fight scenes, but I chalked that up to writer\'s strike. DOTM was slightly better than ROTF, but still not a good film. Then I thought, OK, AOE is sort of a reboot perhaps a retool not a full reboot, with new human characters and Wahlberg was in it so I gave it a shot. It was also garbage. The dialogue of the bots was better but I didn\'t care for most of the robots, and the decepticon transformations were stupid. And now this pile of garbage, So comes the 5th installment and I was expecting nothing at this point. It was as bad as I expected. No explanation for most things, completely disjointed story no redeeming characters, it\'s just ridiculous.
The thing that is most upsetting to me is the way Bay takes a property like Transformers which is dear to many of us fans and changes it so drastically that these are not Transformer films. Some changes he made, the smaller ones have been ok. Making bumblebee a muscle car, enabling the transformers to scan and transform rather than Teletran 1 doing the selecting as in G1. But he made Megatron play second fiddle to the Fallen i. ROTF, made Optimus a crappy fighter in 1, then a psycho in 3, and a murderer in 4. Hound is really Bulkhead so just call him that. When I go to see these IPs on the screen, I want to see it as we remember it from our childhood. There doesn\'t need to be so much reinventing going on here. The God Quintessa, the ff is that? The essence of Cybertron coming to kill Unicron? The whole thing sucked.
I am just praying that in the world of reboot after reboot we are in, I just hope for at least 1 reboot for my beloved Transformer lore. Bay had his chance, not get rid of him. A retool of prime back to his original color sceme, call the bots the correct names and give them similar personalities, Give us a story about the bots rather than people.
It\'s really not a hard formula, but this crap just keeps getting made. So disappointing. Especially after 2007 Live action film, these are awful.
you sound angry.
Was walking down the street the other day and saw someone who fit a stereotype.
So, I killed them.
What stereotype? Was it a guy wearing a gold chain, did he have a Mohawk? Or maybe he was just cursing too much. I mean I realize none of these are stereotypes to any specific race...but ya know the Internets just gotta make something out of nothing...
This is the worst post i have ever seen on TFW. I hope it's satire.
Yeah, it was pretty bad.
Then you haven't seen a lot of posts here
What a well thought out rebuttal. You even went as far as to counter my argument with an amazing tact for detail...
...oh wait. You just opted to bash on my opinion instead.
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. Just because you thought this was all rainbows and unicorn farts, doesn't mean I feel the same. Have a nice day.
I would have gone point-by-point but I was waiting to get confirmation on whether or not it was satire lol.
Long time since posting on here but been an avid follower, well done to all behind tfw,. I had to wait a week before seeing the film and couldn't resist temptation at reading some of the reviews and I can't believe the hatred this film is getting. I thought the film was fantastic and the 3D was amazing, I have loved all the live action TF films so far, I am a big fan of TF's and have been since I was a child growing up with the G1 cartoons, I remember watching 'More than meets the eye' on Saturday morning tv and since then I was hooked.
The scene of blackout transforming in the opening of TF1 still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.
Now I know there seems to be a lot of hatred towards Michael Bay for what he has done to the franchise but I for one applaud him and everyone else behind the scenes for making these films. There seems to be a majority of people criticising the human interaction, but looking back on the original cartoons there was also a lot in there too. Speaking of the cartoons, I am aware that people want the robotic characters to resemble their G1 counterparts but i understand why they don't, I bet if in the original cartoons Soundwave transformed into a car but in the live action films, M.Bay had him transforming into a small radio player or equivalent there would be uproar!
The target market for these films are children, my son loves the transformers since the first live action film came out and that is what matters, A new generation of fans to carry it on, hence why more films will be made. Yes there are plot holes and some things that shouldn't be in the films but the kids who watch these don't care about that, they just want to see their favourite characters on screen and fighting (as do I!)
Jump to TF5, this film had it all, great characters, great robots, a battle on cybertron! Unicorn being set up, Nemesis Prime, Hot Rod, plenty of G1 references and tons of lore. I admit the new decepticons had little screen time which was a shame and I would have loved to see the transition from Galvatron to Megatron (who was great by the way) but hey I thought the film was brilliant and will plan to see it a few more times on the big screen and will definitely be pre-ordering it. Would love to see more of Barricade (maybe the nemesis in the new BB film!!).
Bravo to Michael Bay & co for making these films and long may they continue.
Appreciate everyone is entitled to their own opinion, this is mine. Overall score 8/10
To the team at TFW keep up the good work.
Separate names with a comma.