TFW The Last Knight User Reviews (Post all reviews here) (Assume SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Smashs, Jun 1, 2017.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I thought it was decent. More towards the middle of the films.

Liked Cogman. I did laugh when The Earl was giving the big dramatic speech and the music swells. Earl stops speaking and the music keeps getting louder... it is Cogman playing the organ.. and it happens again a moment later. I did chuckle at that.

I thought Daytrader was played by Joe Pesci. Sounded like him. Was Buscemi.

Rolled my eyes at the Suicide Squad name bit with the cons. Did like Mohawk and Nitrus. Thought Nitrus was voiced by a wrestler. Nope DiMaggio.

2. numbat

numbat Legends Class

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I enjoy Michael Bay's first four Transformers films, despite their obvious flaws. However, I really did struggle with TLK - even with Transformers against the back drop of one of my favourite landscapes in Scotland (Trotternish peninsula on Skye).

I felt the plot hung together as poorly as ROTF, but without as much charm. (Not that I'm saying ROTF has a lot of charm either!)

There were about five good movies in TLK, but focus was given to none. I really liked the scene with Megatron, Lennox and the lawyers in Namibia running in to the Dirty Dozen / Suicide Squad riff. I thought 'hey, this is great - finally some fun!' Then Bay ended it in the next scene. Honestly I'd have watched a 90min film on that alone.

TLK does nothing to help the series make sense as a whole either - it already had massive conflicts but TLK jars with all previous plots. But honestly, I don't expect or even want a good plot from a movie about giant alien robots that turn in to cars.

Plus points were certainly the designs, score, acting (some of the best in the series actually!) and shorter running time. I also like that the movies are now building on their own universe mythos and borrowing less directly from elsewhere.

Alas, I do think TLK is my least favourite of the live action films. Fortunately my wife was out in the evening so I got Takara 2010 Unicron down and watched the 1986 film on BluRay to wash it away.

Still, TF6 could really be amazing with all that setup (or awful) and I have high hopes for the Bumblebee spinoff - it should be more intimate and really the thing that the last three films have suffered from are the epic scope and associated lack of focus.

Here's hoping!

_20170622_203445.JPG

3. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Just saw it. I thought it was basically a random mashup of Braveheart, Armageddon, The Hunt for Red October, and The Fast and The Furious, but with robots.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MilukPrime

MilukPrime Well-Known Member

I just came back from it and I Absolutely enjoyed the shit out of it!!! I went in excited and came out pleasantly surprised by what I watched. It was really worth the wait. Nitro Zeus Was an absolute blast to see on screen! Even if forr the few scenes that he was in.

Cogman was a Badass
    The sexual humor wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
    The CGI Was absolutely amazing, probably the best I've seen In a long time.
    The Sound Mixing and Design was positively orgasmic! Especially with the voices for the robots.

I almost took aoll this negativity to heart but in the end I enjoyed what I watched. Was it Citizen Cain? NO. It had flaws but I did not let those flaws affect my viewing experience.

Also, Daytrader Was pretty great

• Like Like x 2
  5. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

Optimus Prime is an egomaniac.

This movie was stupid entertainment. Probably wont watch it again, but it was way better than AOE. Hopkins and Cogman were pretty funny.

It's probably getting too much hate. AOE deserved the ridicule, and while extremely silly, TLK wasn't a complete waste of time, AND I actually made it through the whole thing without falling asleep.

6. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    And when were people ok with them?

7. Rookgordijn

Rookgordijn Well-Known Member

==WARNING: SPOILER ALERT==

After reading all the negative reviews, I was afraid TLK was going to be even worse than AoE (the worst out of the bunch imo), but to my surprise, I really enjoyed TLK! Unlike AoE, where the Decepticons played a minor role, TLK has your classic “Autobots vs. Decepticons” story line.

Some people find TLK too lengthy and boring, but I personally enjoyed every minute of the movie. Though the chasing scene where the TRF was following Cade and the gang could be a bit shorter.

I don’t think the story line is that incomprehensible as a lot of people say it is. But I might be biased, because I am familiar with the TF lore and most people are not. Still, I find it silly that people after five TF movies are crying about the storyline, because we all know that is not what the these movies are about. They are about getting amazed by awesome special effects and action scenes.

Good parts:
    - More focus on the robots.
    - The humans and the humor were less annoying.
    - Megatron’s awesome new look and Frenk Welkers voicing him.
    - It acknowledges the evens of the previous movies.
    - Returning characters like Seymour Simmons and Cpt. Lennox.
    - The referencse to other TF continuities: Unicron, Quintessa, Nemesis Prime.
    - The ending, making room for more TF movies!

Less good parts:
    - Hot Rod’s French accent.
    - I wanted to see more of the ‘regular’ Dinobots. The scene where Grimlock and Slag were fighting was way too short.
    - The new Decepticons, like Mohawk and Nitro Zeus. They felt like random characters, because as far as I know, they are not coming from other TF continuities. Infernocus was pretty cool though.
    - I didn't care about the baby Dinobots either.
    - Not enough screen time for Dragonstorm. An epic end battle between him and Quintessa or Megatron would have been awesome.
    - A lot of action, but no epic one-on-one “Autobot vs. Decepticon” battles in general.
    - Nemesis Prime being stopped by just hearing Bumblebee’s voice. And this scene was too short for my liking. It's basically the same length as in the trailer.
    - Why didn’t Cogman transform, though being called a Headmaster?

I felt disappointed when I saw AoE, but this time I walked out of the cinema with a smile on my face. I even dare to say that TLK is one of the best TF movies.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I don't pay attention much to critic's but.........I just came back from the movie. WOW, ok, I will start by saying, I like the movies, toys, etc. Even own the 1st 4 on Blu-ray. While I can admit that they aren't masterpieces, I enjoy them for what they are. But this one, holy shit, it was bad, I mean not bad like ROTF, I mean bad like one of the worst movies you've seen bad. It doesn't take the mantle away from Cloud Atlas, which imo is one of the worst movies I've seen over the past few years but it's up there.
    And what was with the cussing? That stuff doesn't normally bother me but jeez does it have a lot, like a TON.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

I thought that being exclusively shot in IMAX 3D was pretty much the main thing that TLK had to offer. The 3D was so thoroughly effective that I don't think I'm much inclined to see Real3D movies anymore. If nothing else, Michael Bay can say that he has now "won" 3D with this movie. Genuinely worth the extra production cost and ticket price.

Completely unrelated, I'm vehemently against the multi-part trailer method that was used to present Christopher Nolan's "Dunkirk". I fully understand the unique nature of a 70mm IMAX film preview, but inserting three 15-second spots in-between the other previews and THEN including a full trailer (which includes that same footage) is just abrasive. I'm now much less interested in seeing this movie.

As for The Last Knight, it all really just felt like a lot of unrealized potential. Optimus becomes Nemesis, disappears for two-thirds of the movie, then shows up for 5 minutes of mayhem, then reverts to his old self faster than Bumblebee can say "Martha". Megatron gets a new crew of no-name Decepticons with names, and none of them has a figure... except for the one that does & is literally dismissed as soon as he's introduced. And then the rest don't last much longer. Hot Rod! He has an unexplained heavy French accent that he just can't get rid of, and that's really about it. I used to wish that Ultra Magnus would be included in these movies, but now I'm kind of considering his absence as a blessing in disguise.

Once this is out of Blu-ray, I'd like to count out exactly how many minutes of screen time is eaten up by footage of human characters either enroute to somewhere, or getting ready for something. Right now, I'd guess it's roughly half. George Lucas is laughing in his grave.

The Cogman exposition music bit was genuinely hilarious, and a far cry from the kind of humor we've been given from the previous movies. I'd love to see more of this type of meta/self parody in future installments. Unfortunately, it was one of about 4 moments that I truly loved. And I actually enjoyed Revenge of the Fallen for the most part. Michael Bay's done an overall decent job at moving this franchise along, but I think it's high time for someone else to move it forward.

If that sounds too harsh, I will say that I'd be willing to forgive all of this movie's flaws, if only there'd been a scene where Hot Rod calls out to any of the Knights as "Kh-nig-hts" in that outrageous accent, you sons of a silly person. But, for all I know, he may very well have said it. So much of the dialogue was drowned out.

10. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I'm... Not sure how I feel. I'm a fan of the movie franchise, through thick and thin, but something about this one... Didn't really click for me, and I'm trying to figure out what.

Some things I know I didn't like: First off, some awkward humor in the beginning with Merlin. It was just... Largely unfunny. Second, mainly, the Decepticons all died. Which is a damn shame because Onslaught shouldn't be a disposable character, Nitro Zeus was fantastic, and Mohawk could've been something special. I don't recall Barricade getting killed, so that's good. And Mohawk was reduced to a talking head, so maybe he could survive? I don't know. Also, their Suicide Squad thing was... Really dumb, sorry. No better way to put it.

What I did like though were the characters themselves. I really liked the robot cast. They were full of fun personalities. Even with the random minor characters like Day Trader. He had so much development for just being there for one scene. And as I said, even the 'Cons got some personalities.

And it's a real shame how little we saw of them. The 'Cons were only in, like, two scenes, and that was all fighting. Most of the Autobots stayed behind. Really, Cogman was the only one who was there the most. Don't get me wrong, I liked Cogman a lot (aside from not actually doing any Headmastering), but I'd have liked more focus on the robots...

Overall, I didn't hate it. But I also didn't love it, either. It's been a while since I saw the other four, but sadly, I'd have to put TLK in the middle, near the bottom.

11. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Ok so I just saw the movie. I'll give it my thoughts as objectively as I can. First thoughts after leaving the theater, well....it was better than AOE at least. I actually enjoyed the mysticism of Arthur and the Knights of the Roundtable better than I thought it would be. It gave a much better "feeling" for the history of the TFs in this universe than what AOE tried to subtly indicate. Merlin would have to be the only awkward character out of the bunch. But it was Tucci. His portrayal of the greedy businesman was blah. So I guess the failed attempt at humor here shouldn't be a surprise to me. Not one person laughed at his antics in the theater.

I could have sworn Prime was going after the "Creators," but sadly it only turned out that he came in contact with a manipulative bitch of character named "Quintessa." I got that disappointing feeling again as if I was all hyped up about Grimlock vs Prime only to see....some "blah." I get it though, she was supposed to be a horrid character. A villain you're supposed to fear. I yawned at her antics because it was just cheese. Easily predictable on how she would act and what she would do to Prime. But her interaction with Prime was a disappointment to me. One would think someone like her would be presented in a more "stronger" tone, but I guess not. Maybe that was just my expectation of that character. Prime didn't seem to put up much of a fight to her "brainwashing" and it took a slightly better than Prime's afterschool special speech in AOE from Cade to remove the brainwashing effects. Oh wait, sorry, it was more like when Bumbleebee spoke that took the brainwashing effect off. Cheese. Not even good cheese. Just....cheese. At least we got to hear Bumblebee speak. Right? Oh, and when he first spoke with the voicebox that the Trader got for him....yeah that was funny.

Grimlock was yet again, a disappointment. In this movie, instead of being a badass of legend, he was nothing more than a huge metallic pet dog. Yup that's right folks, Grimlock was a pet dog. Nothing more than that. It was even more pathetic than his role in AOE. Cogman however, was badass. If you've seen the movie, that's all there is to him (a little more on him later). Hot Rod...meh. His alt mode was badass though. Bee? Well, he's Bee. He had more action than any other TF that I can remember in the film. All the other TFs felt more of a side note in the movie. But I guess that's typical. Though I thought his WW2 scene was cool.

Cade and Izabella. Cade...well he was Cade. I can't really critique this character because I didn't feel anything different than what he was in AOE. There probably was a little difference in attitude since he's on the lamb and trying to avoid detection (being that his daughter is off in college). But then that brings me to another thought. If he's a wanted man, why didn't the guvmint try to go after his daughter? That didn't make any sense. They could have used her as leverage to capture Cade. But it seemed more like that wasn't important at all, and using Cade's daughter's voice only served to show how lonely Cade became when he went into hiding with the other refugee Autobots. Izabella....ok. With the previous rants about feminist propaganda, I really didn't get a hint of that from her character at all. Yeah, they tried to show her as some tough, butch, independent teen who can fight, but she only really had one real good fight scene. And that was at the beginning of the movie where she threw something at the sentries. Other than that, the film tried to show her as emotionally tough on the outside, but soft and sensitive on the inside. She wanted a family again. But the way they dramatized it was cheese. Pure unadulterated cheese. Her character reminded me of how they propped up Grimlock's fight with Prime in AOE, only to have the actual scenes be a disappointment. Her character could have been left out of the film, and I would have still enjoyed the film for what it was. Yep...I'm saying her character wasn't really that important afterall, if not to throw in some poor attempt at tugging at your heart strings for "family sentiment." The interaction between these two were groan worthy. Not cringe worthy to me, but definitely groan worthy. They really tried hard to sell Izabella as some tough teen with her speech patterns. "Brah" this, "Brah" that.....oh boy. I facepalmed. Looked up and there were several other people who facepalmed too. Especially when Cade regurgitated the "bro" back to her. I seriously thought the script writers wanted her to act like some "bro" dude instead of a strong independent female character that could hold her own. Hell, at that point, I would have welcomed any of the theorized toxic feminist propaganda over this crap. Now I wasn't expecting her to act all dainty and frail and what not, but to make her seem really "butch" and "bro-like" had me raise an eyebrow. I could probably pick this apart some more, but nah....I think I'll leave it at that. Her character could have been so much better.

Simmons. To me he just wasn't as loveable a character as he was when he was an S7 operative, or the "conspiracy theory" guy in DOTM. Then again, he only had a few scenes, and they were short. Lennox and the military/contractors was....less like what they were in the previous films. In the previous films, they were gung-ho action heavy. In DOTM they acted heavily against the TFs. In this film it was like...more "blah." They're supposed to be hunting down the Autobots, but it would seem that in AOE, the humans doing this exerted much better effort than in TLK. It was like they weren't even really trying. Santos was maybe the only one that portrayed any kind of "care" or effort in hunting down the Autobots. Lennox not really trying to do so is understandable though. We all know he's had a history with the TFs so he knows who's good, and who's bad. Maybe they should have wrote in Tyrese Gibson into this film. That at least would have made this segment of characters more enjoyable I think. Meh....Now of course, there had to be eye candy in this movie. Laura Haddock's character was key to finding the staff to defeat Quintessa. Overall, I liked her character. She played the bitter daughter with somewhat of a daddy issue, that didn't believe in any of the mysticism, and carried with her a good skeptic view of it all due to her childhood. I got a chuckle at that one dude saying how/why she's still single :lol  Her character wasn't near as groan worthy of Izabella. But I'm sure if I really cared to, I could find something to nit pick that didn't readily stand out to me (like the other characters). But I did enjoy the movie so....nah. I'll leave it at that.

Cogman. If any one character that deserves praise in this film, it's him. From him playing the music to "make the scene more epic" as he put it, to his wits...he was a very enjoyable character. IF you haven't watched it yet, I'll leave my thoughts of Cogman at this. You'll see what I mean when you see TLK. Anthony Hopkins character....yeah well.....the only thing that made the character was Anthony Hopkins. Though I didn't like the way he went out...I guess...well....I dunno. I distinctly remember him looking off into the distance at something. Something got his attention maybe? Who the hell knows what, but that's when Megatron got up and blasted him. Maybe what distracted him would be shown in the deleted scenes or something because I sure as hell don't remember what got his attention. And it would seem as if it was right after he shot up Megatron and got him to his knees. Maybe I need to re-watch the movie. For the caliber that Anthony Hopkins is as an actor...this was not his best performance by far. Maybe it was poor editing. Yeah, I'll go with that.

Megatron was pathetic. When he was talking to Barricade, he got mad, and was shooting off his cannon as if it was a flame thrower. WOOOOO.....such a badass (please note my sarcasm). Then when he blasts Anthony Hopkins, it.....was....weak. Instead of just obliterating him, he just had nothing more than a pellet that acted like a mortar launching Anthony Hopkins into the air. And I guess one can assume the trauma from the explosion is what killed him. But this is Megatron! Why is he so.....pathetically weak in firepower?!? The only scene I enjoyed with Megatron was him holding Starscream's head and saying he'd never be able to see the "day." I would have like to see how Galvatron morphed back into Megatron, but I guess we as the audience are just forced to assume he did.

The action was at least decent to me. Overall, I enjoyed it way more than I ever could with AOE. I wouldn't mind watching it again, whether I get bored and go back to the theaters or get it on Blu Ray. More than likely it won't be til I get it on Blu Ray. If I had to give this a rating out of 10? I'd have to say it's a solid 6/10. In comparison to AOE which I would now give that a 2/10 in comparison.

Feel free to disagree with me on any of this TL;DR if you'd like :)  But I stand by my opinion on the film.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. budkilmer

budkilmer Well-Known Member

I enjoy part I and III. II and IV are bad movies but have scenes that are really well done and very cool.

This movie absolutely sucks except when Prime is onscreen. Which is maybe 10 minutes tops.

This is how I would rate the series:
    TF - 8.5/10
    TF2 - 6/10
    TF3 - 8/10
    TF4 - 5/10
    TF5 - 2/10

• Like Like x 2
  13. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    I know right? It's like the writers were too lazy to come up with anything else and now they basically give us all the same character the same crude vulgar persona. Not to mention the fact that this has been one of the laziest movies character design wise as the majority of the Decepticons were just reused parts. If this is Bay's idea of going out with a bang that it blew up right in his face.

I still wouldn't put AOE as that bad, as in mind, Lockdown makes that movie watchable. He is probably one of the few solid characters the movies have had.

14. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    That really annoyed me too. I actually chuckled at the first one because it was such a silly blatant attempt at ''baiting.'' Then when the second one popped up I immediately figured out the dumb "trailers for a trailer" game they were playing, and groaned at the fact that it meant there was at least another 4 ads before the actual damn movie started (but of course there were more). I don't think I've ever looked at my watch to see how much time had passed since the "start" time on my ticket (20 minutes! good GOD I have to keep that in mind for the next flick...)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Ok. Just got back from seeing it and while it's still fresh in my head.

I enjoyed this film quite a lot. To me, it was not as drab and dragged out as AOE but perhaps it may have tracked on a little to fast - I feel that may be down to the editing? There was a hell of a lot cut.

The humour and dialogue wasn't cringe worthy at all... Not one part of this movie throughout made me think for one second about ROTF.

The Story was quite nice and perhaps even pleasing to follow - BUT it all jumped right into the talisman/staff story right of the bat, like hold up... How the fuck does Megatron/Simmons know of this historic Cybertronian legend?

I'm quite happy with the introduction of Quintessa, however I'm still unsure about how everything fits, is Optimus a Knight or a Prime, both? Did Quintessa create the Primes to? How come Sentinel Prime knew nothing of this Staff that appears to be as powerful as the Allspark? Does anyone remember the Allpsark? There's no mention of Cybertron's first encounter with Earth's atmosphere in DOTM, would none of the magical shizzle on the underwater ship have activated then? Also, what would happen if the sun was harvested?

I got all goosebumps when Optimus landed on Cybertron but he was so surprised for it to be so fucked up? Thinking about it, it must have somehow been destroyed in DOTM and Quintessa has sort of pieced it back together? Why is there grass on it though?
    The final battle was amazing especially when the Autobots all work together.

Either Megatron had an encounter with Quintessa that was cut from the movie or something...

I wasn't quite sure what the end goal was.

Destroy Earth, kill Unicron, Save Cybertron.
    Destroy Cybertron, Save Earth and Let Unicron continue to grow?

Considering the Autobots moved back home I'm guess it's win/win for now?

- The writer's room better have all this shit layed out on paper for the next movies.

Characters -
    Izzy and Dessi. Not bad, nor annoying in the slightest but they served no purpose...
    Cade - Ok, definitely developed from AOE being with the Autobots for long.
    Vivian - Great, really liked her.
    Sir Edmund Burton - Him and Cogman - what a laugh.

Autobots - Despite the lack of Drift and Crosshairs toward the end I saw no difference in any of there roles/interactions from AOE.
    Decepticons - Some great additions absolutley slaughtered again. Mohawk seemed alive still. Megatron and Barricade were absolutley sexual. :p  Glad they lived.

My rankings -
    TF1
    TLK
    DOTM
    AOE

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sephiroth169

Sephiroth169 Well-Known Member

uhhm...No? Cybertron was "warped" back to the Distant Location it came from, when all Pillars
    were Destroyed in Dark of the Moon.

And that is what it was in The Last Knight; heavy damaged and incomplete.

That is why Cybertron "Repaired" itself in the End of TLK with Quintessas Power.

It was heavy Damaged, but not Destroyed. It was "sucked" into the Black Hole to its origin Location when the Last Pillar was Destroyed in TF3

The Scene of the Hole it disappears in, is very short in TF3, only a few Seconds but it was shown.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Zemah

Zemah ’Til all are one

News Credits:
    I seriously laughed my ass off watching this review. All their laughing while trying to explain and make sense of all the crazy shit they saw was gold :lol  Even though I don't agree with everything they said, I highly recommend watching this :p 

• Like Like x 1
  18. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Browsing/Not Buying

Just exited the theater...

Better than AOE.

Still shit.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    It was disintegrated. Participated. A completely different effect from when it was "warped in".

It was destroyed.

If I could find a clip on YouTube I'd post it.

And for this movie they un-destroyed it for the sake of plot.

20. Defender of Iacon

Defender of Iacon Well-Known Member

Angry Joe is such a narcissist. All these youtube reviews are cancer, I only found one that was fair on the film, the rest just jump on the hate-bandwagon. They were NEVER going to give this film a chance, they made their minds up waaaaaay before the film even came out, even before it was announced probably, quite like a lot of people on here...

• Like Like x 1