TFW The Last Knight User Reviews (Post all reviews here) (Assume SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Smashs, Jun 1, 2017.

1. LTprime98

LTprime98 Well-Known Member

I think they got some decent character development both from the autobots and decepticon and I was quite impressed that the decepticons had lines and that there was a starscream referance

2. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't remember seeing him. That recycled leadfoot topspin bot is certainly in there but I missed roadbuster if he is (which doesn't mean he isn't- or a roadbuster esq recycle).

3. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

I find these movies have things that I like on one of two levels- either something that actually works on a cinematic level that I feel critics (and often fans) are sleeping on, and things I just found dope. This movie had a ton of both;

-The opening, with the Knights? Very dope, I'm a big Arthurian nut, that was legit cool to see. Plus, Merlin's little speech to the Knights (robo-Knights, that is) about why humanity is worth saving was great. That's exactly where a Transformers movie's heart should be, and it really felt like Michael Bay's heart was behind it this time, a first for the franchise. Building from there, making the Witwickys the descendants of Merlin is so perfect. Merlin is known as the "King Maker", his role in the legend is to aid and provide counsel to the actual active pieces in the story, the Knights in his case, the Autobots in theirs. Which has been the Witwicky family hustle since 1984, y'all.

-Izabela is a really well executed character. The whole survivor who's gonna tough whatever you throw at her out shtick is simple but effective and well illustrated, plus she's actually useful, plus she brings some charm and charisma to the role. Also, such a cutie :p  If this is really Marky Mark's last one, I think she'd make a strong lead.

-Anthony Hopkins doesn't phone this one in, and it's delightful. His childish glee at seeing everything he's always known about come to fruition is tinged with the sadness of being too old to take an active role in it all is such a refreshing addition to this whole destiny driven narrative.

-Optimus Prime's spin kick was fucking dope

-Megatron's little moment with Starscream's head was nice. Starscream was always his bitch in these movies, but there was an undercurrent of genuine (if diseased) camaraderie between the two... The moment really rang true to me.

-Everyone they got back was great to see, and everything felt like a pretty natural progression for where they'd be in this new setting

-Bumblebee Vs The Nazis is something I would watch a whole movie about

-This movie had more heart than ever. It talks a lot about coming together and humanity being worth saving. The whole "us or them" thing is the bad guy's shtick.

Unfortunately, like always, some things neither worked nor were dope. I need to talk about those;

-The movie's largely incoherent. Lots of nitpicks to be had, but they add up. Tf was that Knight doing in Chicago? Why did the sides consolidate so quickly at the end? Why was there grass on Cybertron? Who were those new guys who were working for Megatron/Quintessa at the end? Was Megatron working for her the whole time because that was really unclear? Where did Bumblebee get his Iron Man 3 powers (I see you, Bay)?

-A LOT of this weighs down on Quintessa/Nemesis Prime hardcore. Who she was, what she wanted, and why were all astoundingly unclear. We don't need to sympathize with villains necessarily , but we need to understand them to some degree, and these movies really haven't had that with anyone other than Megatron and Sentinel. Quintessa was just poorly conceived, and they established that she was a lier but didn't actually make any of her claims clear in the first place, and then showed us none of her true nature, whatever that was. It makes Optimus' fall to the dark side much less affecting if we can't actually engage with the material.

-Nemesis doesn't do enough. He's an active player for all of ONE SCENE and then Megatron just picks up and does exactly what he was doing. There's no real space for the betrayal to sink in or the sense that the characters are screwed now. Really underwhelming when it could have been a solid threat/hook for the movie

-The hot British lady should have been Sam? Like that would have been the perfect way to bring the character back and send him off? It almost feels like they were leaning that way and Shia LaBeouf didn't want to come back

-Murderbots were cool and funny when these movies were just mean spirited, but if they're going to have this kind of heart moving forward, every other sentence being "I'll kill you!" needs to be toned down

• Like Like x 2
  4. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just have to post this review byline. It's hysterical (and also pretty much true).

"Plays like Michael Bay dragged some writers to the desert, fed them acid, wrote down their bats- ideas for the next "Transformers," threw those ideas into the air, then Scotch-taped them together at random." Matt Prigge, Metro

5. LTprime98

I think this film did a good job on bringing references from past films but the bad part is the shitty humor(not the decepticon or autobot humor)and it felt like there was more to the film so it felt unfinished and rushed to a certain point just like suicide squad and just like suicide squad and batman v superman i hope it gets a good amount of extended footage for the dvd
    I will say I was pleased with the movie but it needed some work

6. LTprime98

Its a wrecker for sure and he is a mix between leadfoot and topspin but i think its topspin considering he had a similar face to leadfoot in dotm

7. LukeStone

LukeStone Active Member

Well honestly as someone who has seen every series. Played alot of the games. And seen all the 4 Bay movies. I got to say I absolutely adored the last knight. Definitely my favorite as of now. I just went in with an opened mind. And was lost in this world for 2 and a half hours and came out feeling like a new man

• Like Like x 2
  8. iwasherenotyou

iwasherenotyou Medical Officer

News Credits:
    It's hot garbage but I expected that going in so I actually enjoyed it a lot. Definitely worth the $4 especially in IMAX.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LTprime98

Me too but i feel like there was room for improvement

• Like Like x 1
  10. LukeStone

LukeStone Active Member

Pros I loved almost all the characters. humans and robots. That's really what made the movie for me was the characters. I loved the way it was shot especially this one. The action was awesome to look at. I felt like this one had the most personality and that's why I like it the best of the 5

• Like Like x 1
  11. LukeStone

LukeStone Active Member

Negatives. there were continuity issues but they eventually just left my brain alone. At first I was mad but you could fill in the gaps yourself I guess.:lol 

12. FirestormBlizzard

FirestormBlizzard No. 1 Jazz Fan

On the matter of the Cuba Autobot, many people and websites claim it is in fact Topspin.

• Like Like x 1
  13. optimus124

optimus124 PSN ID - OPTIMUS124

Ebay:
    This movie is by far one of the weakest in the franchise. I left the theater wondering what the point of it all was.

For the most part, I have enjoyed the others. Please, save your money this time.

• Like Like x 2
  14. OPTIMUS GEOFF

OPTIMUS GEOFF Well-Known Member

I loved the first three TF films, (yes, even ROTF) but this was bad. AoE was decentish, but this was bad. Optimus being onscreen for 15 minutes, no explanation for Megs new form, Bumblebee's WW2 past, etc etc etc.... lack of continuity. The terrible humor... god damn the terrible humor. Too much human interaction for a film titled Transformers. I hated Hound in AoE and hoped that Megs actually blew him away at the junkyard. Cogman was wayyy too much. Anthony Hopkins was good, but once he entered, the pace slowed sooo much. Prime is and has always been, to me, the face of TF and to not have him there until the last 15 minutes was a waste for me. Why do all the decepticons have to be such loudmouth punks? Why can't we just get one serious bad ass like TF1 Megs? Sorry, I thought it was terrible. I won't buy this on blu ray or digital. Well, I probably will, but, damn you, Michael Bay. You ha e ruined this movie franchise. It could have and should ha e been so much better.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Loads more swearing in this one. I don't mind swearing but I don't think this much is needed in a sorta kids film.

I liked the Decepticons despite their pointlessness. I kinda took it that Megs chose those guys because they were expendable.

Interesting that Bee switches between his real voice and radio at the end. I love the voice by the way.

It was disappointing that Bay glosses over detail for the bot side of the plot. It was a little ambiguous whether Prime was brainwashed at the start and no-one says what Unicron is.

Another thing I didn't like was the editing. It was all over the place, jarring and felt like shots or scenes were cut out. I haven't minded Bay's quirky humour so far but I had my fill by the end of TLK.

Overall, I still liked it, but need to watch it again without thinking about the editing.

Looking forward to seeing where we go with Unicron.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AspiringCreator

AspiringCreator Well-Known Member

Honestly, I feel this was one of the weaker films. Don't get me wrong, as someone who has enjoyed or at least had some degree of fun with the previous entries, I'd still say this film is solid, it just doesn't have that same power that AOE had when it reignited my love for this franchise.

As for the specifics, well I may speak about them later since even though spoilers are already being brought up, I still want to wait at least a week before saying anything.

17. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    The Cuba robot looked like topspin body with the head of leadfoot. Surprised nobody noticed the bearded head ( Sorry if you did, haven't had the chance to catch up on 99 pages of posts)

18. ILikeSoundwave

ILikeSoundwave Stunticon

News Credits:
    *Sigh* I had such high hopes for this movie and I don't know why when I think about it now maybe it was because of the writers room and them moving the franchise towards a cinematic universe direction thingy. But overall it was super disappointing. Me and my friends were standing in line at the Paramount event with our Last Knight cups and popcorn boxes unable to believe that the past year of speculating and re-watching trailers over and over again would come to a close. I've watch all Transformer movies on opening day and thoroughly enjoyed watching them all for the first time but I was completely lost and had no clue what was going on last night. [​IMG][​IMG]

Stuff I disliked:
    *All good of the good stuff was shown in the trailers
    *Too much Humans. At the beginning in the Junkyard I thought the Transformers had a very nice and generous amount of screentime but once Cade and Bee went to London it was all Human from there.
    *There were no proper fights in the movie other than Prime v Bee. AOE had Prime v Lockdown, Prime v Galvatron, Bee v Stinger and a couple more.
    I was honestly hoping for an epic Prime v Megatron battle at the end.
    *Characters showed up and vanished. Grimlock and Slug were last seen destroying a few TRF vehicles and are never heard of again. Drift and Crosshairs were seen prepping for the final battle but were nowhere to be seen in it. Barricade was at Stonehenge and was never seen after that.
    *Decepticons had a actual proper introduction and all half of them died 5 minutes later *cough* Onslaught. What a waste, especially when some of them looked to have actual character like Mohawk.
    *Megatron didn't feel like Megatron, every time he was on screen he was always just talking getting the staff, getting the talisman. He never talked about anything else so we didn't get any background information or any motives (other than fixing Cybertron).
    *Quintessa was maybe a highlight for me but they also didn't provide us much about her or why she was there, why she showed up now etc.
    *The plot was messy and confusing and the fast pacing of the movie didn't help at all. I don't understand why it was all happening like why did the horns start appearing, why did Quintessa bring Cybertron at the time she did, it all felt very coincidental.
    *Prime was evil for like 5-10mins. In my opinion he should've stayed at way until the end or sometime in the final battle.
    *Dragonstorm was very underused.
    *Score wasn't memorable.
    *Topspin with Leadfoot's head and a Latino accent?
    *I have a few more but I can't be bothered anymore.

Stuff I liked:
    *Thought Cogman was funny a few times, would've been nice to see him kick some ass in the final battle.
    *Anthony Hopkins' character was pretty good, enjoyed him.
    *Visuals were far better than AOE.
    *Like I said before Quintessa was kinda cool, I liked the tease in the post credits scene.

Questions I need answered:
    So what is the purpose of the Last Knight? Vivian was Merlin's decedent so she could use the staff but what was Cade's role as the Last Knight?
    Why did Megatron, Nitro and Barricade go to Stonehenge? Did they activate something there I don't remember? Because Megatron right after that fly away and gave the staff to Quintessa to begin the process.
    So Megatron had that red stuff on his face as well, was he being controlled by Quintessa?
    Why did Edmond Burton just try to shoot Megatron point blank like that?
    Why did TRF release Megatron and the Decepticons to go after the Autobots? TRF had their coordinates and knew they had the talisman why need the Cons?

Maybe I set my expectations a bit too high, I don't why it is Micheal Bay after all. Hopefully I'll enjoy it more the second time around.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ILikeSoundwave

ILikeSoundwave Stunticon

News Credits:
    It was Topspin's body with Leadfoot's head with a Latino accent. Don't ask why.

20. FirestormBlizzard

FirestormBlizzard No. 1 Jazz Fan

Bay is messed up