TFW Power Core Combiner / Generations Pictures from Toy Fair 2010

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sol Fury, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Well, the limbs having that automorph gimmick is really cool! However, absolute FAIL for not having robot modes. Sorry, but one cool plus like that isn't going to make me buy this load of garbage...

2. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Why should they have robot modes?

3. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Don't worry, you're not alone. I like his character as well. His toy, by the looks of it, even more.

4. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    The wait for drift is murder. T_T

I want him NOW so he can duke it out with bludgeon.

5. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Ok... I can accept that a lot of you like these. Really, it's a neat idea, and judging from that short video of them combining one of the arms, and it going from vehicle to arm instantly they are incredibly cool! But I shouldn't have to explain, on a TRANSFORMERS message board why I feel something needs to have a ROBOT mode... -_-

Now Drift on the other hand, well, man... that toy looks awesome!

6. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

I do so hate to point this out Mumps, but I must for it is necessary to be a total anal retatnive prick sometimes and I can hardly resist the urge...

Micromaster Bases (No Robot Mode)
    Micromaster Transports (No Robot Mode)
    Action Master Partners (To an extent, No Robot Mode. They have beast forms and weapons forms, vehicle forms and weapon forms even vehicles exist in that size class, but with exception to Glitch who is a Robot to Weapon transform, technically they don't have Robot Modes.)
    Revenge of the Fallen RPMs (No Robot Mode)
    Roller from Optimus Prime (No Robot Mode)

All of these things do not have robot modes and yet for the most part they are still well recieved by kids and fans alike. NOW I understand that comparing these PCC Limb-Bots to things like Micromaster Bases and the like might seem like I'm stretching the comparisons... However all of the above have one thing in common (Except for those God Awful RPMs, I'll stick to my Spychangers/G2 Go-Bots if you please Hasbro.) they are ACCESSORIES for actual Transformers.

If you consider the limbs to be extra Accessories, it makes a lot more sense that they do have some merits. I for one think they will be quite nice as part of my collection. I understand however how you feel, I still don't understand why Hasbro just didn't make Go-Bots/Spychangers styled figures for their RPM line. My opinion on the PCC Combiners is different from yours. I'm sure we can co-exist.

Although if Hasbro gives the limbs individual names then we might see me start to question the reasoning behind them. I prefer it if they are Drones. I do wonder though, why they couldn't make four unique mold drones, I mean from the pics it looks like Superion and Bruticus once again have two basic vehicle forms for all four limbs. Doubled up as it were. In the case of such small non-robot mode figures why is it Hasbro couldn't engineer five distinct vehicles? It's more fun when you have a wider variety and sure you can mix and match, but I'd still prefer something that is in keeping with the essence of a combiner. I mean Energon Optimus Prime's limbs were four unique molds and they were only drones.

7. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

I think the Power Core Combiners idea is a very interesting one, and I do think it literally builds upon the combining introduced in Revenge of the Fallen- a core figure becoming the head and torso, with other vehicles becoming the limbs. The Minicon action is simply supplementary.

I won't be buying many of the figures myself, only those who do not sacrifice design for the Gimmick- Huffer seems to be one of these. However, I'll buy a five-pack simply to have that interesting combination idea.

As said a couple pages back, this is no different from Energon Prime's silliness- though i believe this is executed better.

8. masterofmonkeys

masterofmonkeys Member

Bittersweet, bittersweet, bittersweet.

Love WfC design. It's cybertron-mode classics basically. Hope there are more than 3, as honestly, I probably won't even buy the three we've seen unless we get more.

Generations. All three are absolute win. But, I'm a little annoyed that Straxus is a deluxe. He feels like a voyager to me. It looks like so far generations is planned as deluxe only. Which makes me cry. I really like the voyager size.

As for PCC. They look like a lot of fun. Hate the bayformer heads. Hate the translucent mini-cons. Am surprisingly ok with limb-mode only as the automorph is sufficiently complex and the playability value is huge with any of the scouts able to be cores. Some are close enough to the classics look that I'm ok with them. I'm not sure I'm going to buy anything in this line, but I think it could benefit us all.

Back to the playability though. That is pretty huge from a marketing and business standpoint. If these pricepoints are true, these will provide some of the most versatile play experience we've ever seen for not a lot of money. This has the potential to grow the brand HUGELY. A grown brand means more people actually looking at things like classics and generations. Which in turn means more chance of seeing the things we like.

Finally, I am terribly excited that we only have one more movie line to wade through. Hopefully it won't be as ridiculous as ROTF was.

9. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We were never promised individual limbs for the PCC combiners - just simply that they were following on "the combination ideas showcased in ROTF" - in this case, it was (okay, it's debatable) a robot made of non-transforming drone units.

Case in point, "Jet Powered Optimus" was Optimus using bits of dead Jetfire, not a typical TF combination we're used to. Devastator (this is the debatable bit) was never seen to be combined from sentient, individual robots, rather from Constructicon drones. PCC follows this similarly, a central robot, with drone-units forming limbs.

I can see how/why Hasbro worded it, and yes we all do love our 5+ TF's combiner teams, but if this is a cheap, effective and FUN way to do it while we wait for TF3 or the next TF show to have combiners, then i'm all for it.

10. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    It's a transformer. It transforms, just not into a robot, but part of a robot. No one said Transformers can't transform into something other than a full robot.

11. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    G1 Duocons are a fine example of this.

As for the Power Core Combiners, I am looking forward to them very much, especially Bombshock!

12. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm looking forward to all of the PCC stuff.

I do hope we get a Leadfoot repaint in G2 colors though :) 

13. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Damn I love me some Duocons.

14. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    id like to see the return of sublines/gimmicks such as duocons, clones, powermaster/ultra magnus type power ups sets, double spys. The PCC's are perhaps the first time a gimmick driven subline has emerged since G1??...actually the first movie real gear robots could be considered a subline, they seemed to have little to do with the movie and i wonder if they werent originally designed as part of another line but became incorporated into the movie toys just to push sales.

15. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I don't care for Powercore combiners because I find the designs very lacking. This may be due to incorporating the gimmick, or it may be due to the talent behind them.

But I look at them, and they just don't have character like many of the other the figures revealed at Toyfair. It's like they've ignored everything learned from Animated and gone back to Unicron trilogy mode. They all look pretty mediocre to me.

I do like Leadfoot though. I dig the colour scheme.

16. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    EVERYONE loves G1 Overlord. Just my view on the situation, and these look better detailed , better articulated and just more fun!

17. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I've been thinking 2 pack Powercore Combiner sets consist of a Scout (Hopefully a fairly big scout) and a Minicon. for $9.99 (less than the MSRP of a deluxe)

Where as a Powercore combiner 5 pack is a scout and 4 parts of roughly Legends scale for $19.99.

So one can infer that a scout is about $7.99 & a Minicon is $2.00 (or if you prefer $7.49 & $2.50 or $6.99 & $3.00 - you get the idea).

Where as a if one takes $7.99 as the price of a scout then the 4 drones cost $12.00 or $3.00 each. - I suppose they are slightly larger than a minicon and do have a spring in them ... but i'll leave it up to the reader to decide if they represent good value for money or not.

Personally I think i'm more inclined to impulse buy the 2 packs and wait for a 25% off sale on the 5 packs.

18. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    ... a modern TF line is more detailed and articulated than something from G1? Quelle surprise.

For my money, Overlord has a lot more presence and personality than most if not all of these guys.

19. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Overlord has more shelf presense - and it's nice that he's got ramps and such to use in his city mode - he's not the best of the bases as his base mode does seem a bit of an after thought but he's a pretty good toy overall and a lot bigger than most G1 toys too.

20. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    as much as i like the idea of the PCC's i'll agree the actual robot modes are really quite crap looking, they look gangly, over detailed, and just lacking any visual punch. i'd say the designers have talent, i just think the style of the toys is moving away from what drew many to them initially, rather ugly figures are getting a thumbs up, this is why im buying brave and sentai toys over TF's these days.