TFW history nerds unite!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by King Kaiser, Nov 1, 2013.

1. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I've just started getting into Roman history. I used to be a huge WWII buff and it was what I wanted to get a degree in, but that is such a bloated field that is oversaturated with people looking for work and stuff. I still love WWII but I'll keep it a fun hobby of mine as it's always been.

I love history. It's my major although I don't know WHAT I want to specialize in. I was thinking of doing contemporary stuff or even pop culture history. That stuff is fun!

I can talk a lot about WWII. I love that stuff. I really dig into that subject with fervor!

2. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

This thread about history, not conspiracy bullcrap ;)  You want to post poorly researched stuff, there´s always Infowars or some other conspiratard forum for that.

3. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like reading and watching stuff on European and Asian history.

4. General Magnus

I always like to read about the Eastern Front. People tend to forget the Red Army carried a huge weight in WWII. WWII was a team effort, not as much "america fuck yeah!" as some historians and people think.

5. Purple Heart

Purple Heart I just want to enjoy the things I love in peace

News Credits:
    I really love Egyptian and Anicent Greek.... and mythology of any form.

6. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It has a lot to do with how America-centric the war was for...well, Americans. Russia was making headway after Stalingrad, and Kursk swung strategic initiative towards the Russians, but the reality is that they were fighting long and hard, depleting their young men, and had more weapons and tanks than soldiers to really fill them. They needed a new front so the pressure of war could be taken off. So here comes America, and the Commonwealth to save the day, and for the most part the Americans take the brunt of the fighting. Makes sense as they contributed the most landing forces available to D-Day afterall.

It also doesn't help that after the war Russia became our enemies. That generally helps to downplay Russia's involvement in WWII even though they were instrumental in savaging the German war machine.

7. General Magnus

I think the air campaigns were also important in relieving pressure from the russians. The amount of men, planes and materials diverted to stop the bombers was significant, and I´n m talking about the damage the bombers inflicted.

Also the russians had a lot of help when it came in trucks, supplies and other materials. Thanks to the trucks and other logistical support the Allies gave them, the soviet factories were able to focus on the production of armored vehicles and other weapons.

8. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    Very true. After Operation Barbarossa ( German invasion of USSR-1941) About 25%-35% of the USSR Air Force was American and British made planes, such as the P-40. The RAF also provided Fighters and Bombers through the Lend Lease Program.

Aircraft Deliveries

Oh and Russia needs to pay its bills... they still owe the US and British for WW2 weapons, aircraft etc. The account is still open.

9. General Magnus

The Russians also liked the Aircobra and Kingcobra very much, with some of their pilots becoming aces in those. For some reason that plane never caught up much in the other nations.

10. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    Well in typical USSR/Russian Fashion, once they got their hands on US/British tech, the Soviets reverse engineered the cobra series into their own version, and once it was a Soviet plane, not so much an American plane, it lost its luster to our other European allies at the time.

The Bear Bomber program -NATO Designation Started with the Tupolev Tu-4, which was built after the Soviets obtained a working B-29 after an American crew had to "crash" land at a "friendly" Soviet airfield.

B-29
    [​IMG]

Tu-4
    [​IMG]

The Tu-4 last saw service with China in 1988.

Of course when the B-29 was used as the platform for the next upgraded bomber the US had built the B-50 Superfortress.
    [​IMG]

But in usual Soviet fashion, they pretty much did the same thing, building the Tu-95, Bear Foxtrot, which is still in active service.
    [​IMG]

11. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Speaking of paying the bills, this is heading dangerously into politics territory but I'm upset that our current administration has blocked the import of hundreds of thousands of our historically important M1 Garand and M1 Carbine weapons from South Korea. It just boils my blood.

12. Sir Spamsalot

Sir Spamsalot Well-Known Member

Anyone know any good documentaries on romans?

13. General Magnus

Ha! We sold off the forges that we had to make our G3 rifles to...the USA. Yup, changes are that if you find a G3 rifle made in the USA chances are it was made using machinery we sold to you lot.

And Grunt, copy or not the "Bear" is a thing of beauty.

I also remember reading an article interviewing a soviet tank veteran, where the guy said that for example the Matilda was average and that the Sherman was as good and in some aspects (comfort) better than the T-34.

The Sherman really has a bad reputation. It was a great tank, I think it was better than the over-complicated machines like the Panther and the Tiger. Really, the Panther was a shit tank. It´s transmission drive was made for a tank that weighted 35 ton and the Panther was at least 45 tons and it´s 75 mm gun was while good for tank vs tank combat was shit when it came to infantry support and taking out "soft targets", while the Sherman´s 75 mm gun could do both things. It´s drive broke down every 100 miles or so. Even in battle, Shermans were know to knock out Panthers, for example in Normandy.

Really, Tiger and Panthers are overrated. The unknown killer of WWII was the German Stug III, based on the Panzer III chassis (and alter on the Panzer IV). Cheap, good support weapon and excellent tank-killer.

14. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Wait a second...The Shermans 75 mm sucked something hard against anything with more armor than a half track. It was a mistake to try and field a tank with a short barrel in an anti-armor role.

Chuck

15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    The main advantage the Shermans had was the sheer numbers of them and how easily breakdowns could be repaired.

In europe the Sherman was generally inferior in the pacific the Sherman was superior to the Japanese tanks, Not that were any huge tank battles in the pacific campaign.

16. PlanckEpoch

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The SHermans had a cross country capability that the German tanks were hard pressed to match. That was another big advantage. While Shermans were really fuel efficient and easy to repair and maintain, the biggest problem that the German military suffered was how much gas their Panzers needed to run. It's telling that by the the Battle of the Bulge happened that what stopped German armor was the fact that they ran out of fuel more than anything else.

17. General Magnus

That´s actually a myth. The 75 mm was decent at killing everything up to a Panzer IV. And don´t forget, the Panther was quite vulnerable at it´s sides. To the point of the Wehrmacht having to deploy Panzer IV´s within the Panther´s flanks.

Hell, there´s an account of a Greyhound SCOUT CAR, whose main gun is a 37 mm peashooter, taking a goddamn Tiger tank.

But the best Sherman was either the M4A3E8 "Easy Eight" or the British "Firefly", both were quite adapt at slaying german beasts.

That and tank vs tank combat was not as common as people like to think in WWII, so there was little need of something as big as the 88 mm.

18. Titanic X

Titanic X Believe in the future!

Well what about the M18 Hellcat? That tank was one of the lightly armored ones, but it had a record of killing Panther tanks in the later years of the war. It had great agility and speed, so it could do what they called "shoot and scoot" and head to another part of the battle zone in a short time. Plus they used the 76 mm guns to great effect. It also helped that the Germans lacked decent armor plating and those Panthers and Tigers were vulnerable at the sides.

19. General Magnus

In addition to that it´s worth saying that the quality of german steel was degrading as the war went by.

20. Sir Spamsalot

Sir Spamsalot Well-Known Member

I think it just comes down to the Germans wanting bigger and badder looking tanks, but didn't focus on reliability, hense the tiger tank's many breakdowns. But the Sherman tank was just more reliable, even if it was puny compared to a tiger.