TF's on Earth or Cybertron?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Numlock, Feb 6, 2009.

?

More interest in Transformers on Cyberton or Earth?

Poll closed Feb 27, 2009.
  1. The Cybertronian Civil War in Space is more interesting

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. Robots in Disguise on Earth concept is more interesting

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Quoted for absolute gospel truth! Word up, guys! :) 

I wouldn't say Furman's Infiltration+ storyline handled that type of story very well at all. The human/autobot encounter and culture clash was totally lost or ignored in favour of Furman's tedious convoluted Very Cosmic Important Stuff storyline. The "robots in disguise, adjusting to a new planet and culture" thing wasn't given any room to breathe at all, and the human characters really had nothing going for them.

While there's nothing really wrong with it, I've come to realize that I strongly dislike Cosmic Space Opera. Marvel's recent string of "cosmic" titles (which Furman wrote for) confirmed this for me, but I think I can safely say that the roots of my disdain for Space Opera actually grew directly out of my hatred for G1 Season 3! So yes... Transformers was formative for my dislike of Space Opera. I've come full circle! :) 

I also really don't like D&D/WoW-style High Fantasy, because it really has no anchor in reality or history. Tolkien practically invented the genre, but he made it work because he actually kept a lot of the mundane in his writing. Without the Mundane, Magic has no meaning or impact.

This same formula applies to Transformers on Earth, when you think about it.

You're weird. :) 

zmog

2. GohanX

GohanX Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't care as long as the writing is good.

Take Beast Wars as an example. Growing up in G1, I never liked the idea of robots turning into animals, and a whole series dedicated to them put me off. At the urge of other posters, I finally sat down and watched the whole series and HOLY CRAP IT IS AWESOME. I don't plan on getting any of the toys (except maybe Waspinator,) but it easily has the best writing of any TF show I've watched.

3. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's exactly why I want a story on Cybertron. Ordinary vehicles seen every day are somewhat boring after awhile.
    WWI Cybertron would be a great setting for a CGI cartoon. It'd have the action and adventure to keep interest, plus some political and harder-edged content for more mature viewers.
    Basically, NO KID CHARACTERS. They were the main reason (of about 20) I couldn't stand the A/E/C series.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Earth gives us the "they are among us" angle, which I personally enjoy when done right. There's also the issue of collateral damage, and things like robots smashing through buildings - the hazards of fighting in a city. Not to mention the possibility of human paramilitary groups like Sector 7 to counter both sides.

Cybertron is cool for the alien atmosphere and all the goodness that it brings, but personally, I'm struggling to think of a single plot point that grabs me about a battle on Cybertron.

Well, the exception would be if you had some epic space battles. I'd love that.

5. MasterPrime

MasterPrime Assemble and Roll Out

News Credits:
    Yes this is the same reason for me! If they would do it like Meast Wars and Beast Machines that would be awesome