TFs in Other Eras: IDW beyond HOS

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ZacWilliam, Mar 2, 2006.

1. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, so IDW now has a series focused on "Elseworld" style alternate interpretations of Transformers. WWII has already been done by DW, and now IDW's "Hearts of Steel" has got Industrial Revolution covered.

That's:
    Early 1900s
    Early 1940s

I suppose there's potential for a WWI series in between there but it'd mostly be splitting the difference between the two. That means we have to expand after this beyond "early modern."

SO what other eras out there would you like to see TFs reimagined to fit?

-ZacWilliam, thinking you have to get pretty creative on alt-forms pretty quick pre-1900s.

2. Ger_Hankey

Ger_Hankey Now hiring evil minions

Rome?
    Renaissance Italy, with Da Vinci style alt-modes?

3. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I like the idea of renaissance Italy. Also, perhaps some 16th or so Century England castley stuff. Or maybe some Egyptian stuff - The Transformers built the pyramids!

4. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I think IDW does have plans to do the DaVinci style next, if I recall what they said at BotCon. Egyptian would be fun indeed, lots you could do there. Ravage as the Sphinx? As for others, maybe early oriental or a Maro Polo/Chinese time period with a clash of cultures. I'd love to see a TF as a glider or one of those oriental boats. Maybe TFs helped build the Great Wall. Sticking with a boat theme, maybe something with early explorers coming to the Americas or pirates - European ships, the Latin American pyramids. Or what about a Greek TF inspired Atlantis? I really have no idea, but it's so much fun to speculate.

5. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Duuuuuuuude...

An origin story to possibly overlay TFs with Greek Mythology would be AWESOME! Possibly a failed attempt to integrate into human culture, that led to them sinking Atlantis to start over "in Disguise" when things go sour? That would make for a very deep storyline.

6. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Thanks, Dio. The TFs being responsible for the sinking of Atlantis is the idea I thought of too. I know I watch too much Stargate, but I think it has some real potential. Maybe some of the TFs get mistaken for the greek gods or something. There's a story in the TF Legends anthology novel where the BW characters get mistaken for the Egyptian gods.

7. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Ok, it just hit me.

Pirates.

Hell yes, for real. I would give anything to see a transformers as a pirate ship. I also long for the day when we get a Pirate ship transformer toy. And no, Cannonball (or whatever that black Cyb Red Alert repaint is called) doesn't count. :p 

8. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
  9. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

How about cold war Transformers, with capitalist Autobots vs commie Decepticons?

10. beatnik poe

beatnik poe Veteran

I had an idea where The autobots crashed into Greece and around the same time the Decepticons crashed into Egypt, and both contributed to the rise of the two countries as globabl superpowers who ultimately discover one another and commence an epic battle of the gods.

The other one I had had the bots and cons crashing into the far north atlantic and being discovered and revered as norse gods, and the access to their hidden realm was thru a space bridge that under most conditions refracted light and appeared like a rainbow.

I should pitch IDW my ideas.

11. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Or you could check Acid Wing's link. :) 

Personally I would like to see something set in the Dark Ages. Imagine, Metroplex as a castle or Swoop as a gargoyle (okay, so BillyBadAss already did that with the Myth Wars project :redface2:  ).

12. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I would murder someone for the opportunity to write a Chinese-origin Transformers story. I have studied the late Han Dynasty with a passion, during the Fall of the Han, and Decepticons v. Autobots in that story would be PERFECT. ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.

13. Roller

Roller Keep on rollin'! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I would like to see 1950's and 1960's style autobot cars

14. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I want to see Thor and the other Gods fighting the ice giants, whom turn out to be early Cybertrons.

15. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Old West.

16. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    I'm hoping that the series DOESN'T just turn into "Transformers in a wacky new time period" every issue. That's fine occasionally, but there are a lot of "what if" things that could be done with the franchise without just tossing the Transformers into a different historically significant era.

17. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Really? That sounds awesome. :rock  Do you have any links to like the clothing, especially soldiers? I'm still working on a Galvatron whose alt mode is a Zodiac dragon...but I just need any historical references to compliment the bot design.:)