3D Artwork: TFP Insecticon Hardshell

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by myloschz, Jan 7, 2019.

1. myloschz

myloschz Well-Known Member

I fell in love with the tfp insecticon design as soon as I saw it! The figure that was released however....

This is a project that I have been working on for a long time, and should have printed parts soon!
    I had given up on it because the original plan did not work. Then I decided to finish it, and try to make any sacrifices necessary affect the bug mode if possible. I could not work a waist swivel in to this design, but I may revisit this at some point. I think with a minor redesign a waist swivel is possible.
    hs0001.jpg image000000.jpg hs9.jpg imagehs1.jpg hs8.jpg
    You can see the bug mode in the forth pic minus the legs.
    The back legs are the robot legs, like the concept art points to. The middle legs fold up beside the body also like the orig. concept.
    No parts-forming... for what that is worth. lol

I will make a thread in the radicons section as soon as I have physical parts in my dirty little hands!

Attached Files:

• hs3.jpg
      hs3.jpg
      File size:
      138.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  2. AndyPurro

AndyPurro Cancerous Pyro Main

Holy crap, that is literally epic

3. myloschz

Thank you Andy. I REAAALLLLYYYY want to print this already! Funds are tight, and I have to wait until I get back some tax money. In the mean time I have finished some details and made a few changes and taken some more pictures. unnamed (19).jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. myloschz

This is the Thigh and hip attachment blown apart. Due to the pelvis splitting apart into halves for transformation, the hip articulation had to happen within the hip/leg area. Put some cheesy ratchet clickers in there.

Attached Files:

• hs10.jpg
      hs10.jpg
      File size:
      496.2 KB
      Views:
    • hs5.jpg
      hs5.jpg
      File size:
      236.6 KB
      Views:
    • hs3.jpg
      hs3.jpg
      File size:
      358.3 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. myloschz

Then I broke up the mid section a bit. I may end up purchasing a 3d printer in the future, so I am trying to look at designing more "FDM print friendly". Now I send it out and use SLS or Multi jet fusion, with almost no design constraints.

The first pic is the mid section and chest in orange, and part of the back in yeller. The second pic, the yellow back part is gone, and it shows how I cut the mid section with the back half in yellow. This will allow the pins that connect the to the pelvis parts to not travel through the back. As shown in the difference between pic 3 and 4. Two of the screws will be hidden by the back part, and the third will utilize the hole that was already there to let the "back spines" tab in during transformation.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. myloschz

I also changed the connection for the chest to the mid section from a pin to a snap fit. Taking away the pin also takes away the pin holes. Sometimes they are ok, and your mind doesn't even see them, or accepts them as part of the aesthetics of the design. Sometimes they are an unsightly hole.
    The first pic has the holes highlighted, though it was an angle that hid them a bit.
    The second pic shows the pin hole taken away. The Third pic shows the chest attachment to the mid section changed from a pin to a snap fit.
    I also did this for a part hat connects to the bug back, which would have left pin holes on the shell. No pics, just sayin'. ;) 

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. myloschz

Lastly I have some pics of the Leg blown apart to see the inner workings and whatnot.
    The first is blurry. The second shows the "Robot leg joint" highlighted by the red arrow. The blue arrow shows the part that is in the robot leg that extends the leg section for bug mode.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. myloschz

This pic is Terrible, I know! The figure will be about 24 cm tall. He is actual size on the screen, so I held MP-10 up to the screen for some size reference. Strangely enough I do not own any TFP figures, so the exact scale is not SUPER important to me. I want him big, but not break the bank to print big. Sorry for the pic quality, I almost didn't even post it. The next thing I do on a computer(besides work) will be my taxes so that I can get this printed!! Have a good day all. unnamed (20).jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Nightstrike

Nightstrike Well-Known Member

Impressive....

10. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    O3O this gun be big

• Like Like x 1
  11. myloschz

I bought a printer, so as soon as I can find a durable, impact and wear resistant resin I will be printing, assembling, and posting pics. hs3.jpg hs2.jpg hs3.jpg hs2.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  12. Furnace

Furnace Ant-droid at a picnic

I cannot wait to see the finished product!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nightstrike

Want. Period.

14. myloschz

thanks guys. I am still searching for "the resin". I may end up re designing parts so that the parts that endure a lot of wear can be ordered in nylon. Here are a few parts that have been printed. I can already see some changes that need to be made. image00006845648.jpg 56165159.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. Nightstrike

Man, I'd love to print this. My printer's an XYZ da vinci mini w, though, so I'd need to design a filament-friendly version.

16. AndyPurro

Damn, you could possibly start a third party company with this

• Like Like x 1
  17. myloschz

I am hoping to get everything just right, and then I will be sharing the stl files. I almost bought a lulzbot mini to print it, but I really wanted the details, so i bought an anycubic photon. Probably should have just sent it out to Sculpteo! :) 
    Hahaha, not sure about that, but thank you!! I wouldn't be opposed to sharing the files with any company interested, but they would have to redesign the parts to be injection molded. lol

I think that a 3rd party designer could come up with an even better design. If the bug body was handled differently, the arms and shoulder pad armor could be bigger like they should be. My version they have to fit inside the body. Plus they could work a waist swivel into it. My transformation totally destroys any hope of a swivel, let alone that awkward pelvic thrust that the kids are into these days.;) 

• Like Like x 1
  18. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    Well Iron Warrior is making those TFP articulated figures...

• Like Like x 1
  19. AndyPurro

they are yet to make more

• Like Like x 1
  20. myloschz

Man I love this printer! I improved some of the parts last night and this morning, and I set them up to print and left for work. Here are a few shots of the leg in bug mode.
    image0fgbrwtfbrt.jpg image00000gfbndgf0.jpg

I have decided to break up the parts into detailed components and high wear joint areas. That way the areas that need it can be printed in a more durable material, and the rest can be high detail resin.

• Like Like x 2