Heavy/Scratch: TFP Commander Hardshell- 3d print

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by myloschz, Feb 18, 2019.

1. BrawnG1

BrawnG1 Friendly Lurker

One of my biggest complaints about the TFP Hardshell was he was too damn small for cartoon accuracy. Your project brings this to the next level, if you were selling a final product, I'd be down with buying maybe 3 of these to replace my dinky TFP cyberverse sized Hardshells..

• Like Like x 1
  2. myloschz

myloschz Well-Known Member

Thanks guys and gals!!! Just a quick update, waiting for good resins to come. I received my sample of a part printed in the Formlabs durable, and it is pretty amazing stuff. In the mean time I am still making adjustments.

The connecting pegs in the legs have been made separate, and I am happy with this version.(i have tried it a few ways)

beach bod.jpg download.jpg hs2.jpg hs3.jpg

And the peg for the hip has gotten a similar treatment. I took the teeth off of the hip peg, but I think that I can work a ratchet into the hip attachment!

hs5.jpg hs8.jpg hs9.jpg

Thanks again for all of the kind words on this. I am glad that others thought that the figure released
    was not up to the potential of the line or concept art.

...and here is a shot of his backside. Only because I dug through screen shots from tfp AND RID to try and figure out what the heck was going on back there! hahaha

beach bod.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  3. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Where do you get the metal pins for joints?

4. myloschz

I usually get them online. You can find packs with different lengths, or buy them by the length. I usually use a 1.5 mm pin, but they come in a lot of diameters. Google m1.5(or whatever diameter)dowel. Many choices will come up. Honestly I just use an e bay seller with good ratings and pay with paypal. I have never had an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  5. griffn29

griffn29 Well-Known Member

Great work

6. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    Oh man, I saw this thread over in the art section a while back and thought the project was abandoned, so happy to see it progressing! Your prints look STELLAR, and your design work is amazing! I've been wanting to get into designing my own figures, any tips to produce results as great as this? I've tried designing in Blender and I have trouble using it for parametric modeling; I mostly only have success with organic shapes that don't have specific dimensions (ie: no holes or pins or anything like that).

Is the Anycubic Photon a reliable printer? I've built a few FDM printers but have yet to venture into the world of resin printers.

Again, absolutely love this, I wish you the best of luck in finishing it up! Will definitely be watching for more updates.

7. artimus prime

artimus prime Articulation Junkie... I'm a poser TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    This Hardshell is worthy of blasting my first edition Bulkhead in the back. Just double the prints and send one my way. :D 

• Like Like x 2
  8. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Amazing work! I'm especially interested in the resins you're using, though. I have an fdm printer but have been thinking of getting a resin printer. I have a few coworkers who both have the duplicator 7. I've had them print a few things for me but the dimensions are off just like you described - about 100 extra microns, making it completely unreliable for moving parts. I had thought it was the technology of the printer itself but now I find myself wondering if it's the resin they're using. I'll have to give some more thought to getting a resin printer.

So what are your ultimate plans with this guy? Shapeways would seem to be out of the question - at that scale, he'd be like $500. Gonna sell kits? Or make the files available/sell the files for people to print themselves? Try to get a 3p to pick it up? I just saw that Wei Jiang is doing Skyquake and Dreadwing so it looks like the 3P world might finally be ready for tfp. Maybe one of them would be interested in buying your design.

9. myloschz

Thank you! That's funny, I find the parametric side easy but it took me forever to learn how to do organic shapes. Honestly I watched a bunch of videos about modeling in blender. If you look back at my past projects I feel like the design and modeling gets better with each one.
    This is the first project that I made the parts in robot mode, then duplicated them linked, then transformed the dup. parts into alt mode. That way any changes you make in edit mode changes on both parts. You can see how it will effect the alt mode without having to move the parts around. I also parent the parts to each other. Then when you pivot one part, anything attached to them moves also.

Generally I find a part that needs to fit snug needs to be .03 or .04 mm smaller than its hole. For a more free movement .05 and up.
    Same with ball joints. The ball is .03 smaller than the hole, and the pinch point in the hole should be about .02mm smaller than the ball diameter. But I usually eyeball it and have to make adjustments. lol

I love my anycubic! Resins are not true plastics like FDM or FFF printing filament, but I love the detail. I am trying Formlabs durable resin and an accelerant this weekend to see if it will print on a lower powered printer.
    I bought it because it uses 40 watts, and is built around the same tech as phones, tv's, and such so it will only get better. The build area will increase, then the true potential will be realized. You can fill the boild plate and it takes the same amount of time to print as one part that is the same height. There are minimal moving parts, and there is a great community for any trouble shooting.

This is my first printer. My print failures have been due to me learning about proper supports!

Thank you. I am very pleased with this one!

Hahaha. Thanks! This beast is about 10 print jobs on my little printer! But I am hoping to share the files.

Thank you. I am trying out every resin there is right now. They are all not quite what I am looking for so far. I have a sample part from Formlabs in there Durable resin. It is the best resin that I have come across so far. My only concern with it is deformation over time. It is the only resin I have found that doesn't turn itself to powder under friction. The Nylon Like resin from Phrozen is the next best for abrasion resistance. I am designing the parts to be broken up so that the high stress/wear areas can be printed in a separate material, just in case. I am eyeballing the duplicator 8.

So far the pigmented resins seem to print true to dimensions, but both clearer resins printed a bit large. I think that I was overexposing each layer. But there may just be more light bleed in the clear resins. I bought an accelerant from a company so that I can try to get some Formlabs resin to print on it, and they had an additive that you add to clear resins to stop light bleed and over printing. Were the parts printed in a transparent resin?

I plan on sharing the files so anyone can print it. That being said, any company that wanted the file as a jumping off point would have the same access to it.
    The print size on my printer makes this a 10 print job project! I had thought about putting a few together to sell, but with the print time and the cost of resin I am not so sure.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

Dude, this is solid gold right here! I had no idea that you could create linked duplicate parts in Blender so you can model alt and bot mode at the same time. That is huge and will make custom transformer work so much easier - or rather it will take it from impossible to not only possible but downright pleasant. And the data about getting parts to fit together is super helpful too - I've just been kind of winging it and trying it until it works but knowing the actual numbers is much better. Though I imagine it'll probably be different for my printer so I'll still need do some trial and error, it's great to have a jumping off point.

Damn good stuff. I might have to download the files when you make them available and take a crack at printing them. My fdm isn't as neat as a resin printer but I've got it tuned to just about as good as it can get and I print in 40 micron layers with a 200 micron nozzle so the detail is actually pretty good. It's still not resin quality but it's the next best thing and, because it's in PLA, I don't have to worry about it being overly brittle.

I'm very interested to hear the results of your tests with the various resins. If you find one that can produce mechanically moving parts that don't crumble, I'll just have to buy a resin printer. Was thinking of the Prusa SL1 - it's expensive but their printers are pretty damn good.

The resin my friend was using when I took the measurements was a dark grey that was very slightly translucent. He's used a few other colors but I didn't take any measurements from those. I only noticed the problem because I had him print an Arcee head with a separate eye piece for me and the eyes wouldn't fit in the eyeholes, even though they worked fine on my printer. I imagine there's probably some tuning that could be done but he was happy with the results he gets (he's not making things with moving parts) so I wasn't going to try to bother him with trying to fix it just for me.

11. kjata

kjata Well-Known Member

Hot damn! This thing is amazing and I want one.

12. Yohan PLMIXMB

Yohan PLMIXMB Not well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Looks great, awesome job you did there!
    If you will selling that, i'll like to have 34cm tall one

• Like Like x 1
  13. myloschz

Quick update, not much to show. I spent the weekend messing around with the Formlabs resin and accelerant.

beach bod.jpg download.jpg

Eventually I got some results and I am very happy with the properties of the resin. It does not seem to wear itself away at all! One concern I had was deformation over time. I did end up adding a smidge of the Fun2Do Industrial resin. By itself it is Brittle and wears easily, but it is super hard and doesn't seem to creep. The combo seems just about right.

• Like Like x 2
  14. myloschz

Hopefully this is a link to a video that shows the inner workings of the arm that splits the pelvis halves and moves them up and over.

And I did get the Formlabs resin to print at 12 second exposure on my Photon.

1451473_355760977893393_846276134_n.jpg
    I also ordered some resin from the company that I bought the Fine tuner accelerant from. 3Dresyns. People on the Formlabs forum claim that their resins have far superior mechanical properties compared to anything that formlabs offers.

Hopefully within a few weeks I will have a printed version! I am trying to be patient, but....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  15. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

I am eating this up. I had thought resin printing just didn't have any potential for printing moving parts and I didn't think a consumer level resin printer could give the precise results you need. You have convinced me to invest in a resin printer (eventually - wife wants to take a trip later this year so we've got to save for that for now) and I'd really like to know what resin or resins you end up deciding are best.

[Edit] when you're done, you should write up a resin printing for custom figures tutorial with all the stuff you've learned.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Nightstrike

Nightstrike Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, why haven't you brought this to a third party yet? This is amazing!

17. Ruizu1990

Ruizu1990 Contrary to popular opinion, not actually a G1er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So talented!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Digger

Digger Spreading peace, love and reasonable explanations

Twitter:
    Damn this is some next level work. Really incredible. I always liked the idea of the Prime Insecticons. This is gonna be fantastic.

• Like Like x 3
  19. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    McMaster-Carr

@myloschz You're working on the one figure missing from my collection.
    DSC_0743-01-picsay.jpg
    I will need one of these when you're done.

Also, Wei Jiang asked fans the other day if they would be interested in OS figures of Dreadwing and Skyquake and were inundated with calls for a Hardshell that would scale well with the rest of the line. It looks like they've since removed the post, but I wouldn't doubt that you'd be able to sell this completed design to them or someone else.

The fandom needs this top notch work!

Edit: I think Iron Warrior would be all over this. They're doing large, non-transforming TFP figures, with Optimus leading the way in the next month or two, followed by Megatron and Ultra Magnus next year. I've talked a good bit with their designer and they seem pretty solid. I can't imagine that they would not be interested in this possibly joining their line.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  20. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    I think you have another fan, dude!
    Screenshot_2019-02-26-23-56-01.jpg

• Like Like x 4