TFing my 1st Alternity

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Jun 5, 2014.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    So I got this Alternity Skywarp off eBay, and he arrived today.

Sonuvabitch if it wasn't the most stressfull transformation I've done. The shear complexity, combined with the myriad of pieces and the frailty of it constantly had me paranoid that I was gonna break it. At first I thought I did.
    Good thing those ball joints are designed to pop off.

And I forgot to mention- no instructions!!!

Not sure if I like this, tho. May keep it for the sake of having an Alternity, or sell it for one I really want- Optimus.

But dang! This is a mini-masterpiece. Seets and steering wheel are a nice touch.

2. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    really? you had that much trouble with it? .. i thought it was a bit easy. but i'll agree that it's a little more complex than the other molds.

but man.. i absolutely LOVE the alternity seekers. i REALLY REALLY wish i had skywarp and thundercracker. i own red prime, silver megatron, yellow bumblebee, and white starscream.

i think starscream (or the seeker mold) is the most interesting. the vehicle is rather neat looking and i find it REALLY interesting how they made his robot mode look like it had wings. it's pretty awesome.

also, i love megatrons swords. they're definitely some of the coolest transformers swords out there. i also love the samurai type look to him. hell, i wouldn't mind if they painted him dark dark dark (black without direct light) and light blue, gave him a new head and called it drift.

it's a very cool line though.

3. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Interesting, since the Seeker and Bumblebee molds were the two easiest of the four Alternity molds for me to transform. They're the ones I'd feel comfortable transforming back and forth (even with the door issue on the Seeker mold). The frustrating legs on the Optimus mold are something I never look forward to.

4. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Bear in mind I had no instructions and I had to do some guesswork. Not sure about what was immovable and what was stiff, I was just afraid I'd break it. Its hip rotation was incredibly stiff. At first I thought they were rigid. I still cant believe they didnt break

And what door issue? That the ball joints pop off in a slight breeze? However I thought that there opening car doors was brilliant

5. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

Always check you tube when dealubg with a japan exclusive toy like these guys. Tips are always helpful and they tell you ehat to watch out for, like making sure Megatrons legs are extended all the way before you turn them or youll break the taillights.

6. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, the transformation can be a pain since those diecast metal doors are so heavy and the ball joint sockets are just too loose to hold them securely, so the doors end up popping off and clattering to the table (or floor) during transformation or when simply posing the figure in bot mode.

Despite the fiddly nature of the Alternity Questor/Seeker mold, I still have a soft spot for it since I like their design (just not a fan of their overall execution due to overly loose ball joints and overly tight ratchet joints, shoulder tabs and a waist clip that don't lock securely, the poppable doors, balance issues when posing, etc.).

I found a way to fanmode the door wings on the Questor/Seeker mold so that they're more stable in bot mode by simply folding them up and out like a second pair of wings (for a butterfly effect). On Carscream, with his quad optics bug-like face sculpt, he especially looks more insectile using this configuration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The alt modes are where the Alternity molds shine. I own Red Convoy, Silver Megatron, the 3 main Questors/Seekers (Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker), Silver Convoy, White Ultra Magnus (whom I Reprolabel'd into Alternity Jazz), Cliffjumper, Bumblebee, and all 4 of the special GT-R molds (Prime, Star Saber, Fort Max, and Megatron) with their Racing Queens/Sisters.

I do have plans to pick up the Black Orochi Banzaitron and have him be my Alternity Skywarp (after painting the green and orange bits silver and black) and repurposing Purple Orochi Skywarp into Alternity Shockwave using the Mech Ideas Long Blast upgrade kit (the Shockwave head fits the ball jointed neck on the Questor/Seeker mold perfectly though the ball joint on the arm cannon needs to be filed down to fit the wrist socket).

I had plans to also swap out the heads on GT-R Star Saber and Fort Max to repurpose them into Soundwave and Wheeljack, respectively, but darned if I can figure out how to remove the stock heads without damaging them (looks like the head halves are glued together rather than held with screws).

And yeah, you have to watch out for the legs on both the Convoy GT-R and Megatron 370Z molds, since some of the transparent plastic tabs are fragile (I broke a rear taillight off of an old Megatron figure before I replaced him with a new one). The Convoy mold's automorph ab section can also get messed up over time due to the gears therein slipping out of alignment, resulting in a bot mode whose waist won't tab in flush with the torso.

7. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    See my first alternity optimus DID break. I love all of them, but I won't touch them without directions.

8. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Did you buy it from Lena on Ebay? I just got my Skywarp from them and I haven't messed with it yet and of course no instructions. lol

9. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Sure enough- lena81822

10. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Skywarp's my only Alternity figure, and while you're definitely right about it being frustrating as fuck in some places (if nothing else because we're not used to the metal on metal aspect), I've gotta say that its a damn beautiful piece on my shelf in either form, and one of the most unique transformers I own. I actually have it in a mixed display with non-tfs, and I'll probably end up owning another Alternity at some point because some of them especially appeal to the car guy in me, and it doesn't hurt that its one of the only things on display that wouldn't get mistaken for a "toy".

11. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some people found transforming this mold easy, I found it frustrating as frack...and that was with instructions albeit in Japanese, which I do not speak.

12. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    You'll probably have an easier time now that you know how to transform him, but yeah, without instructions it could be stressful.

13. halfaway

halfaway Did you think you were cool?

the optimus & megatron molds are a little easier ( and wont have the doors popping off like the seeker cars and arnt as fiddley

14. Sweeny

Sweeny Electric Monk

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Totally agree. Love Alternity transformers but the Seekers frustrated the heck out of me. Thundercracker broke the first time he was transformed so hasn't been touched since :( 

15. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Watch out for the tiny antenna, it can fall out and it's an utter bitch to find if you lose sight of it.

16. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Holy crap, but you are right! I was TFing it back into a car when the antennae fell out! I had to un-transform it again to get it back in. Then it fell out again.

And of course the door kept coming off. If I had a dollar for every time it came off this would have been free. Heh... at 1:30 a.m. I declared it a partsformer.

And then paint started flaking off. I kid you not. On the top of the car where there is no parts rub I have a couple couple spots where paint chipped off.

He is now back in his insert, antennae taped to the insert, insert taped shut and officially for sale. Its funny how I went from awe and impressed to dissapointment.

Its still an impressive figure but not for me.