TFcon USA 2017 Sept 29-Oct 1 in DC w/ Jack Angel, David Kaye, Neil Ross, James Roberts, Aaron Archer

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Super_Megatron, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Most vendors accept cards for payment but it is always a good idea to have cash in case the vendor has trouble with their device. Some vendors use PayPal here or the Square for accepting cards and those little devices can be a bit temperamental.

• Like Like x 1
  2. gnodprime1

gnodprime1 Made of sterner stuff

Ebay:
    I remember a vendor at TFcon in Chicago that had the best prices on MPs but was cash only. Most vendors do have the ability to run cards.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
  4. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

I went ahead and booked a room. I'm like 80% sure I'm going. So holding off on registering. One of the selling points of this is the idea of being so close to D.C. A little walk/drive around sight seeing seems doable

It does Seem like the room block is full because they came back with some "business" room that was more then the tfcon price advertised. Seems like a nice area, lots of nice restaurants close by.

5. Super_Megatron

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
  6. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If anyone needs a room, lmk. I have a double-bed room booked at TFCon rate and will take on another person to bring costs down.

7. Super_Megatron

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
  8. Friendross

I bought my tickets last night. I've never been to a "big time" convention like this. How's this work? Is the paper I printed out what gets me in the door? I always hear about people waiting in line for badges. I only got tickets for Saturday and it didn't say anything about lanyards or badges. Also, do I need to do anything special to get into the third party panel?

I am excited the convention is in the hotel. I don't want to have to drive around. I hope there are some sight seeing busses or something based out of the hotel area. I looked online at D.C. Tours but I think I'm just not plan anything for Sunday and see what happens. I don't want to just drive my car around D.C. All day then drive home all night. I'd actually love to be able to not have to move my car, that will be stocked with all kinds of new tf's, from the hotel parking until we head home.

9. Super_Megatron

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    You'll trade in your paper ticket for your wristband at the registration desk when you arrive. That will get you into the exhibitor hall and all the panels.

If you are looking to do some DC tours check with the hotel ahead of time for direction, you will likely need to drive or take the train south to DC from Reston to get picked up for any tour buses. DC is definitely worth checking out, lots of cool things to see. Try and take an extra day off of work if you can. Also the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center is right by the TFcon hotel which houses the Space Shuttle Discovery and the SR-71 Blackbird that is on display in the museum was used as Autobot Jetfire in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Friendross

Thanks for the info!

11. Super_Megatron

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
  12. Super_Megatron

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
  13. Pho'ptimus Prime

Pho'ptimus Prime Mancave Spelunker

Thanks for asking these questions! I was just about to ask too, but you've helped save me some time from being repetitive.

Thanks for the answers!

On a side note, what would you guys recommend is a better course of action: using public transit to get to the historical sites and museums in DC, renting a car, or hailing UBER to get around?

14. Friendross

im just going to play it loose and see whats available when i get there. i have had some people familiar with the area indicate that the drive into dc is far from pleasant and always takes longer then it should. so public transport seems to be the primary option to getting into DC.

my mom indicated the "double decker" bus tours are the way to go. a little preliminary research showed that its a very abundant tour type and availability shouldnt be a issue. so.. im just going to stop by the hotel desk saturday morning, inquire about the best form of transport to take is, then see if they have any recommendations on a tour company.

so, im picturing a subway ride into dc, a small walk to a tour company recommended by the hotel..... tour... a little more walkaround, then onto the subway and back to the hotel.

ive ridden subways and busses before, but not being from a big city, im uneasy with the lack of control public transport provides... but when in rome i guess

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  15. Partsformer

Partsformer To Far Away Times

Twitter:
    If there is a highly sought after convention exclusive, about what time do folks usually start lining up for the dealers room? Is it a mad rush when the doors open or is it much more relaxed?

16. Chaddicus

Chaddicus Don't call me Shirley

People line up very early. But the booths are organized, and make you form a line. You just have to figure out which line you need to be in

17. Partsformer

Partsformer To Far Away Times

Twitter:
    So, say I have a 9am early entry ticket. Would 'very early' be 8? 6? Sorry, my first Con and I have no frame of reference. Thanks for the info!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Friendross

I'm going to be getting there late Friday night. So I still I have to do the registration stuff Saturday morning. I totally get being antsy about trying to maximize Saturday time. I kind of hope I can end up leaving work early Friday or take Monday off. What I have in mind for that weekend sounds exhausting

Fortunately my wife and 3 year old daughter backed out of going. So me and my 11 year old should have a pretty good time. Our patience level for some line waiting is going to be much stronger as a party of two. I'll have no problem getting him up at 7am Saturday to go down. My wife would have been a tough sell on getting up early. For us it will be like Christmas morning, I won't ever be asleep to have trouble getting up early. If my son was a little older we could spilt up and stand in different lines when necessary.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SentaiTFMechaLover

SentaiTFMechaLover Well-Known Member

for sure won't be going, now I have to impatiently wait again until I find out what is the next convention Frank Welker will be attending

20. Chaddicus

Chaddicus Don't call me Shirley

For Toronto this year, I went downstairs around 8ish, and the line was already stretching through the lobby. I refused to stand in the line and just waited on the couch in the lobby. Once they let everyone in, I still managed to snag both of the big exclusives with no issue. If you're really antsy and want to be one of the first in, I would guess that lining up around 7:30 should be fine.

• Like Like x 1