TFcon Toronto 2019 exclusive Mastermind Creations R-32 Broken Mirror Stray

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Super_Megatron, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Ottertron

Ottertron Moon-faced assassin of joy

I hope Kapow gets this for TFNation! They usually do get the MMC con exclusives, so appendages crossed!!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

Oh, good. Was worried MMC would release the Springer mould in a Cloud Rodmus deco.

This, this I can skip. It's not a bad mould, the red does look good on it, but I already have and I don't really like Drift. Now, if I didn't already own a Drift figure, this would be a solid contender, because it looks very nice.

3. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    ...oh man I would buy that FAST.

• Like Like x 1
  4. col

col Artobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wonder if he’ll come with a cape like the previous Drift exclusives...

5. Digger

Digger Spreading peace, love and reasonable explanations

Twitter:
    I thought this was the Deadlock version. So he may not have one. Although I suppose the exclusive Wing had the soft goods as well.

6. OriginalFire

OriginalFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mastermind Creations seems like they are the only company doing convention exclusives these days

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Nifty

News Credits:
    I would buy that. I still need an Over-run.

8. Digger

Twitter:
    The only ones committing to them that is.

9. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That’s because MMC, more than any other company, ride the “repaint train” right into the ground. I mean they make Hasbro and Takara look positively stingy with mould re-use.
    I honestly struggle to think of a single MMC figure that hasn’t been released in at least one alternate colour scheme/minor remould. I think their Kaon (Anarchus?) is the only figure in recent history that hasn’t been given a new coat of paint. I suppose their Cosmos and Springer, but they’re both still fairly recent releases so I’m not ruling them out.
    But yeah, MMC milk every mould well past the point of sanity, so convention exclusives are kind of their thing.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Nifty

News Credits:
    But is it that MMC is doing exclusives for Conventions or that MMC is being commissioned to do to exclusives for conventions?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Digger

Twitter:
    They’re doing the exclusives. They do them so they can make money. Cause being a 3rd party company is hard. And they have to be strategic and make sure whatever redecos/retools they make are successful enough and doesn’t hurt their sales.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Matrix1981

Matrix1981 Well-Known Member

That colour scheme and head sculpt look too good to pass up.... I hope this hits A3U's website...

13. col

col Artobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, it’s that Wing exclusive getting one too that made me think maybe they’d continue with the trend.

They haven’t done repaints for Megatron, Overlord, or Vos along with Kaon.

I don’t mind the repaints, personally. I wouldn’t have gotten the Wing or Drift figures if they hadn’t gotten those TFCon exclusives color schemes because they looked pretty bland when they were mostly white.

• Like Like x 1
  14. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    @col Cynicus had a repaint as a con exclusive.

• Like Like x 3
  15. col

col Artobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah, so he did. Still, not ALL of them have gotten repaints. Just most. ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Meanwhile I’m over here still waiting and hoping they remold their Megatron into a Marvel Straxus. How many chances do you get to make a flying cannon??

• Like Like x 2
  17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Such an extreme exaggeration.

Been seeing a number of different posts along these lines recently, and I don't understand these assertions at all. The way it's being put forward, you'd think that MMC's only produced like, 5 unique molds over the years and used them over-and-over again. But they've produced well into the high-30s of fully unique molds, with plenty more well on the way, which puts them well into the top of the pack for 3P manufacturers (Fans Toys' numbering system gets into the 40s. But they've got a large number of projects in limbo, so that doesn't fully reflect the number of toys they've actually released).

Their repaint policy is almost exactly in line with HasTak's: reuse the mold at least once, if appropriate. Supplement with a heavy retool if possible.

MMC's repaints are generally all logical and in-demand. I think the only real left-field choice might have been Lockdown from Cyclonus. And Nero Rex was just sort of a "because we can" sort of thing. The only mold of theirs that really got milked was Reformatted Azalea, and that was super early in their portfolio. They all sold well, so it was good for building early capital.

Even if you, yourself, don't like repaints, many of other fans don't share that sentiment.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  18. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Well, I may have come across as sounding a bit harsh on the topic.
    There’s nothing wrong with repaints. I own several of them. Some are brilliantly done (Thundeclash from Tarn was a truly inspired design). Others not so much (your above-mentioned Lockdown resulted in a truly sub-par Lockdwon remoulded out of an utterly atrocious Cyclonus- pretty much every version of that mould suffered because it was trying to be too many things at once, and failed to do any of them well).
    I don’t actually mind that they do so many repaints. MMC are really only a mid-tier company to me - significantly less than 50% of their designs appeal personally, and a number of them have design flaws or aspects I'm not a fan of - so it actually doesn’t impact me much at all.
    But it’s an undeniable fact they do more repaints than almost any other 3P and given their smaller stable of overall designs compared to Hasbro, it’s kind of amusing to watch and wonder what odd-ball re-design they’ll try next, and whether or not it will be a good fit.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  19. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Then why make it sound so negative ("riding the repaint train into the ground")? They're doing what makes the most sense from a financial standpoint.

It's not like that practice has negatively affected their output any, at least going by pure numbers.

20. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    Edited my post above to highlight that negativity wasn't my intention. I do think they can overdo it a bit - the Lockdown, Cyclonus mould is a case in point.
    Most companies manage fine without quite so many repaints and it honestly seems like the repaint idea can occasionally limit their options. Cyclonus was terrible, the design they chose for their Whirl was significantly less popular than the main MTMTE one.
    It's also led to a rather strange lack of direction in their Reformatted line. Whatever they call their MP stuff (forget what the moniker is) it's pretty consistent in at least trying to adhere to that aesthetic. But because of all the random repaints and remoulds, their Reformatted line is about 75% IDW stuff and a whole bunch of other random characters thrown in. It's not necessarily wrong or bad (indeed Takara has started down that same track with their own MP line) but as a collector, I personally prefer a bit more focus and direction in a line, so I know what to expect and there's more likely to be products that appeal to me. Selfish of course, but it's a selfish hobby. As you said above, going by pure numbers they're releasing a lot, but as I said above, less than 50% of their output appeals to me personally as a collector. That can be one symptom of a less focussed direction and I suspect it's one that Takara will start to feel to, if they continue down that track.

But back on topic, I do like many aspects of their Arcee mould (though Rouge does better for me as an actual Arcee) and if the pauldrons are removable without too much effort, I am interested in this repaint.