TFcon LA 2022 exclusive Fans-Hobby x The Chosen Prime MB-14B Arson

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Chosen Prime, Feb 27, 2022.

1. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Blocked for privilege posting.

- But seriously; exactly. It's one of those things to where personally, having traveled to Cons both in the U.S. and outside and understanding the costs... if it weren't for the actual friends I've made at them and getting to see them all I'd probably just save a hunk-a-chunk and buy the exclusives online every time.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Hurts feelings being honest.

News Credits:
    But that goes back to the idea of not wanting to pay for someone else's vacation just to obtain a figure you want. No one forced anyone to go to TFCon [unless one is a kid or a supportive but not really into it wife, girlfriend, etc...] that was a choice made by an individual and no one should have to help the attendee recoup from a decision made of one's own free will.

And to go with the intent to buy an exclusive, potentially denying someone who genuinely wanted to own it from doing so, solely for the purpose of reselling immediately after the convention... Pretty much a dick move.

If a fool walks up and demands you sell it to them for $250, that's a bad decision the buyer is making of maybe not free will [I'm sure there's a clinical term for impulsively making such a purchase] but of their choice. If you demand they buy it from you for that price, that's kind of shitty.

As for it being just a toy not worth getting so angry over... if it's just a toy, then why did the perceived value jump from $90 to $250 in the immediate aftermarket? And why is everyone defending the idea okay with that? It's just a toy, should merit such a jump in value? Surely not.

• Like Like x 2
  3. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

On that same argument: nobody told you not to go. You had the shot. But anyways, it's a convention exclusive limited to 600 pieces--the point of which was to incentivize you to spend all that extra money on the other amenities at the convention. I see no problem with going to a convention and grabbing one or two of an exclusive and selling it for a profit in order to help pay for your vacation--not everyone who goes to conventions are rich, they just want to have a good time and doing that helps justify the expense. There's a reason why convention exclusives are expensive: conventions are expensive. To offer it as a regular release might've been a better idea because of how popular it proved to be, but that's not the case, sadly. Since Transformers aren't food, shelter, or water I don't see why anyone needs to be especially charitable with their aftermarket price.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    - Just like no one forced anyone to go to TFCon, people also made a choice to stay home. In staying home they are able to use said savings to purchase the products sold there from the convenience of whatever device they use to access internet in said home.

- There were numerous left at TFCon so everyone who attended had an opportunity. Had they sold out at that convention or the leftovers been saved for the next convention then this conversation wouldn't even be happening. IMO the only people who have the legitimate right to complain about having missed out on in-person convention exclusives are the people who attended the convention but here that isn't even the case.

- Even impulse buying is free will. Unless there's actual force or threat of force/action against someone they're making a conscious decision unless it's a minor or someone with the distinct mental incapacity to make said decisions and in most cases even then it should fall on the person responsible for monitoring what they do.

- Because people pay it. Buyers set the market yet sellers get the flack. Does the price of something appreciating change its functionality? A car appreciating in value doesn't turn it into a brick of gold.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Sirtank

Sirtank Well-Known Member

Anyway, I managed to see the post at the right time for once and was able to snag one without a problem. After missing it the first time, I convinced myself that I didn't need him anyway. I was glad to have another chance though. I guess he can hang out on my desk with my other G2 bots that I'm not sure what I'm going to do with.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    It's the same argument because it's the only one really needed. Flipping new toys for a profit on any level is scalping. Just because it's a convention exclusive and you attended doesn't give you a privileged right to scalp it and screw someone else over. And it's not a requirement of attending. Don't recall that being on the TFCon brochure. There's no mandatory cover charge of one third party exclusive per attendee, right?

Yes, it is a convention exclusive made in limited quantities. No, you didn't have to buy it. Yes, the store selling the exclusive sold the rest of their inventory online after the show to help out those who couldn't attend. Because someone bought it simply to flip it and help, "balance out the cost of their vacation" someone else who genuinely wanted the figure for their collection now goes without or is forced to pay the perceived aftermarket value.

Trying to tell me or anyone else that you [well not you personally though you seem okay with idea] did nothing wrong doesn't make it true.

But it's okay, you live buy that idea, you get screwed by that idea. And, with any luck, you'll understand the other side of the argument when the lesson is hard kick to your wallet with something you really wanted to own.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    In the end; If some folks don't like your resale price they pitch a fit and act like you're ruining their livelihood. Weird... but, it's what it is. I think rather than throwing around the word "privileged" and bastardizing its meaning one post at a time, folks should look and take the term "entitlement" into account. Frankly people DO have the right to sell this stuff at whatever price they want and it's the beauty of the free market. However once something is sold out in retail settings where no MSRP is a controlling factor, we're not entitled to it being sold at that price any longer.

---------------------------------------------

I think it's funny that the last thing that people will do everything BUT be decent to other people in the community, form friendships, and see if anyone attending is willing to help.

• Like Like x 2
  8. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Look man, I'm really not looking for a fight, I'm honestly having a nice day and hope you're having one too. I've missed out on plenty of toys because of aftermarket prices and been fine with it. It's frustrating for sure, but ultimately I've realized that the price I would need to get me to sell my rarer figures is rather high and to expect someone else to just give me a deal at their own loss would be unfair of me. Maybe this figure will get reissued and you'll get a shot? Fans Hobby is keen on making money, so maybe hit them up on social media and let them know there's still demand.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    There's no fight, there's a discussion. And, admittedly, I cringed that you were the one who offered the "it's okay to do this" because I have no reason to dislike you. Certainly you're not the chuckle head hypocrite that is trying to argue that they are "just toys" while basking in the joy he gets from owning figures others cannot simply because he has the means to obtain them they don't. And then going about posting "look at what I have" images all over the place for others to drool over. An individual whose toys are just toys but still a serious enough hobby for him that he can't take a joke that puts his images in a different than intended context. Just toys that are super serious business and high valued because they're rare. Just toys.

However, if you're not looking for this discussion then you shouldn't offer an opinion. You can have it. No one can stop you from having it. No one can stop you from offering But in an open forum you must be willing to accept that others will disagree with you and be willing to counter your point with their own. And that's going to happen if the opinion defends a shitty practice of immediately selling convention figures simply to turn a profit on a vacation. "Recoup your loses of freewill choices" as you say.

Which is what you did.

I don't know if that was your intent but that is what you did. And that practice is wrong. That you have spun it into something else suggests either you're attempting to explain a different situation than the one being discussed or that you are trying to convince me that a shitty practice is okay and possibly justify it to yourself too. And I hope it is the former.

But consider this: when you go to the convention, buy the exclusive, put it up on eBay that night in your hotel room, you are declaring to the potential buyers that the figure has absolutely no emotional connection or value to you. You didn't have it on your shelf for a while and fall on hard times or grow out of the hobby. It's simply a means for you to make money for whatever motives you have for obtaining money. And you're willing to take advantage of someone else's actual desire to own the figure and display it in their collection as something more than a dollar sign. That's not cool. It's disrespectful.

Can you still find the practice as okay?

• Like Like x 1
  10. captainnedloh

captainnedloh Nugget

News Credits:
    20220413_184219.jpg 20220413_184255.jpg
    Are...are you guys okay?

• Like Like x 20
  11. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

When I said I wasn't looking for a fight, I was pointing out that your tone got fairly harsh fast, and again accelerated in this post.
    Sure, it's a toy.:p 

• Like Like x 2
  12. Maglite

Maglite Porkchop sandwiches!

I know they're not perfectly accurate to the comics, but damn those three look good together. Likely to be our best option for that team. If only Mech Ideas Gauntlet wasn't so tiny...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Quippy

Quippy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    If you infer a tone that isn't there, that could speak more to a guilty conscience than an aggressor.

But, no, you should never pay for your vacation at the expense of a fellow collector's desire to own a popular exclusive. That's bad practice.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    The moaning about resell just needs to cease. Vote with your wallets and let people do as they have the right to without trying to shame or bother them.

--------------

@lordcryotek what do you think of Arson now that it's been a few weeks out? Same for everyone who's gotten it? Still as good as day one? I haven't gotten a chance to mess with it post review.

-----------

@Junkmech any word on the head tilt issue?

-----------

I had problems with the ab crunch being loose on my first copy. I only needed to tighten thevtwo bottom screws on the back but if you meed to access the tops as well here you go; the screw caps apparently come out really easy.

C/O Fans Hobby

received_500713478343879.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  16. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

Good question: Still love him. Joints seem solid, though I have only transformed him once (out of laziness). If I hadn't just gotten Mega-Tyranno, I'd say he's my favorite of the year so far but he's definitely up there. Worth the mark-up I paid for him (which is rare for me) because he brought me one step closer to meeting my collection goal of having a complete Wreckers team.
    EDIT: Oh, and here he is with all of my collection exclusives. Not a huge group, but they're all very pretty.
    Convention exclusives copy.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
  17. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Time to reign it in.

• Like Like x 2
  18. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Man, I wish I hadn’t just shipped a Roller’s Stash last week. Now with only Arson sitting in my otherwise-empty stash again, waiting for other preorders to drop to get to the free shipping threshold… it makes me antsy, haha. Like after missing this guy the first time, and getting lucky enough to get him during that second chance yesterday, I won’t totally believe I got it till I see it in person. :p 

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
  19. geekatron prime

geekatron prime The Grammar Police must be on strike.

News Credits:
    Lucky for me I still had MP-53+ Crosscut in my stash already while I was waiting for other items to drop. Then Arson came up, got the free shipping, now both are on the way.

• Like Like x 1
  20. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Woo, nice! That worked out well.

My next preorders slated to come in are a couple of the first wave of Super 7 Transformers dudes. It saaaays this month but I don’t know… seems unlikely somehow.

I find myself eyeing Wheel Blade and thinking, “do I actually want her, and the free shipping she would bestow?” I think the answer is still “no,” though, haha.

• Like Like x 1