TFCC Confirms even more Generations / Classics! Trailbreaker and G2 Laser Optimus!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Cheebs, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    Quite frankly it would be the worst shelf warmer in HTS history. I don't recall Hasbro selling any such official add-ons like this for a TF. The closest one I can think of are the energon spears that Hasbro gave away at Botcon 05, but those were free and no where near the scale we're talking here.

2. OldsCut78

OldsCut78 Laser Rod

been gone for a couple of days and i come back to find out G2 Laser Prime is coming back in a deluxe form. HELL YEAH.

3. Cloudraker

Cloudraker on auto-pilot

Found the pictures of these and WOW! Very good indeed. For a minute I thought the only ones to buy were Jazz & Tracks but now Wreck-Gar, Perceptor, G2 Optimus, Scourge all are instant buys!

4. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Is it a "shelf warmer" if it's an online exclusive?

(But, yeah, totally not worth the hypothetical $40 price tag from the post just before Motor Master's. $20, perhaps)

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Warehouse-warmer, then.

6. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    $20?! Look at that pic of Rodimus standing on the battle platform mode. Now imagine MP Grimlock standing on it, since he seems to be nearly the same size, and think about how big the trailer has to be. Even if it was just an opening box like the JustIToys MP trailer, it'd be worth more than $20.

Not that it'll happen as a separate release, anyway. There just wouldn't be enough demand to support it.

7. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

If the Hasbro one is identical to the Takara one (I.e. they are the same color and one isn't maroon).

Then I'd say it's not unreasonable to start strongly suggesting to Hasbro INC that they could carry say 500 Takara Trailers at the Hasbro Toyshop as a store exclusive.

If they do make the 2 versions a different color they could even Sell the Trailer in asia or a store exclusive version as a retail item along with the Hasbro version of the toy where you buy the pair taped together in complementary boxes or held in a card frame. instead of the Takara box. That might work.

One side could be open frame with the robot visible the other side a closed box attached to it with the trailer in it.

That way it gives them more flexibility the retailer can order the standard edition of the deluxe edition perhaps ?

They have to have it out in plenty of time for a big buying season or out super quick before it's competing with Leaders and Ultimates from the 3rd Movie line.

Having the Hasbro version and the Takara version be completely different colors might be interesting though if they portray the character as Hotrod when selling it in North America and as Rodimus Convoy in Japan/Asia.

Anyway if we are lucky there might be sources for the Takara Rodimus from Hong Kong / Singapore etc.. that are cheaper than the official Takara retail price.

I realize in reality the situation is more like that with the Masterpiece Starscream Movie toy vs the Hasbro Leader toy you can pick which one you want but you only get a specific one to each market.

So perhaps the idea of making it the same as the Takara one is a good cost saving drive - or if they want to get more people to buy both they'd need to be a different shade or red to each other.

8. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dang...I missed out on the pics. :( 

9. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Considering the lack of engineering required, I'll stand by my estimate.

10. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Complexity doesn't mean much when the size still factors into the shipping/handling.

11. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seriously? How can this still be an argument? If you want MP Rodimus, take a lunch to work 20-25 times over the next three months and pre-order the Takara version. If you want MP Hot Rod, wait and buy the Hasbro version. A Hasbro MP Rodimus Prime is not happening.

12. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Actually, this is a fair point, but I would question the assumption that shipping/handling is such a huge part of the expense of a toy that goes into what a retailer must charge.

13. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    You would think it would be as clear as that, right?

14. Arturius Pendragon

Arturius Pendragon Active Member

Fan-TASTIC!

Engineering is a MINOR cost driver when determining the pricing of toys. Materials and shipping and handling are two of the big ones. You know why? Engineering only has to happen once. I can design the most complex toy ever, and a company can buy and build machines to assemble it, and yes... that can be pricey. BUT... that is a one time cost for the company. Every time they make one of those toys I designed, however, they are using plastic and metal, and every one they make, they have to pay to ship. The bigger and heavier the item, the more they have to pay to ship it. The more it costs in the long run, the more the retailer is going to mark it up to recoup those costs.

Blackrock, seriously... I understand what you WANT, but you're operating with a very poor sense of economics and a VERY unrealistic sense of how a capitalist market works. I applaud you your restraint for not wanting to spend more than about $75 for a complete Rodimus. I wish I could make such a fiscally responsible decision and just walk away from it. But the bigger difference between you and I is this: if I sat down and had a good long talk with myself about the value of a Rodimus Prime toy and I came to the conclusion I could only afford $75 total for the whole thing, and wouldn't be happier with anything less, I would accept the fact that there's no way that price would be feasible and I'd move on.

Wanting a good deal is perfectly understandable. But you're beyond that. You're asking for a product at a pricepoint that, by comparison to past and current offerings, would be ludicrous. I want gas to cost 99 cents a gallon and a good steak dinner to be free. They aren't. Just like Rodimus Prime isn't $75.

15. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    Why yes it is. $20? Hardly. Remember the whole truck minus wheels, the spoiler and some of the roof is also in that trailer. The gunner station is also very complex compared to the original.

Very true, I'm glad someone sees my point.

I'm sorry G.B. but I think you're seriously underestimating the costs of these things. It's like you traveled back to 1986 with how little you think Rodimus and his trailer are worth. Collector items of this intricacy, size, and detail are worth a whole lot more than you're giving them credit for. Even Grimlock seems very simply by Rodimus' standard.

Grimlock was about half the price in America as he was here, same might go for Rodimus if he was released here WITH the trailer. So figure the figure would probably be in the $90 to $110 range and I think that's being generous.

You also have to remember, what retailer is going to stock something so BIG, so Expensive, and something that takes up so Much Shelf Space.

Randy

16. Arturius Pendragon

Arturius Pendragon Active Member

EXACTLY Randy. Though, to be fair, retailers ARE stocking things that big and that expensive in the form of AT-ATs. The difference, of course, is the scope and fervor of the relevant fandom. Not to mention playability. I want Hot Rod, if not Rodimus, but I think anyone can agree that 95% of 6 year olds would rather wake up one morning and find an AT-At half their size with reciprocating light up lasers and a deployable snowspeeder than a Rodimus Prime that does nothing but transform a couple different ways and invoke nostalgia that they can't reference.

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whaaaat? Hasbro Rodimus will still transform into Rodimus Prime's robot mode.

18. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guys guys your not telling me some third party isnt gonna come outta the woodwork to make a rodimus trailer if there is enough fans clamouring for it. I mean just look at EVERY other MP
    starscream-coranation kit
    Megatron- stock and silencer
    Ghost starscream- coranation kit
    Optimus- Trailer
    Grimlock- accesory kit

Hell even skywarp got a coranation kit

19. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The money made on all of those combined is not even in Hasbro's radar. As I said before, "The money that 3rd party makes is not even pocket change to Hasbro or Takara. It's more like pennies that fell out when getting your keys out of your pocket."

20. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh how it pains me to do this...

I'd assume most collectors would not consider him Rodimus Prime without his trailer. Regardless of the extra robot features.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.