TFC Toys Prometheus (Defensor/Protectobots)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Scaleface, Jul 12, 2013.

1. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Anyone manage to strip the NYDP of the side of Gumball? Just tried rubbing alchohol and it's not even changing shade.....I was kinda hoping I wouldn't have to give him a full coat of paint although it may not turn out to be a bad thing....I could always go a off white like the G1 figure and a gloss finish may make him look a bit better.

2. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Man, people get so hung up on elbow gaps. I don't get it. It's one small thing that could be better in a figure that (at least in my opinion, in regard to the two Warbotron offerings) looks terrific in all other respects.

Uh, no. Defensor is my favorite G1 combiner, I love him to death. But that doesn't mean that I think a toy made 30 years later should retain the same flaws the original had. Design and engineering have come a long way since then.

3. Zavien

Zavien Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't know, I mean I kind of invision hot spot blocky and Defensor also block. IMO Defensor is boring looking but in a good way. Defensor was never real exciting or extravagant looking.I think this fits for the look TFC is going for and in the end for me I'm buying for the combined mode so thats really what I'm waiting to see.

4. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

Lol that bot mode is a big box of barf! Cool gun though.

5. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, I like TFC Hotspot!

Still not sold on the whole set, but Hotspot on is own is freaking cool looking. Like a meat-head analog for a robot dude. Would definitely pick up a Pyro repaint of him.

Can we get an update to the first post?

6. NemesisAngel

NemesisAngel Well-Known Member

When you're talking about combiners or especially warbotron, those elbow gaps aren't so "small" anymore.

7. ty_starr

ty_starr Well-Known Member

I like it! Will be painting the eyes, but everything else is solid.

8. LazyAza

LazyAza Ehhhhh

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Maybe I'm crazy but isn't "blocky" design a staple of transformers and an integral part of their look that has defined them for many years?

When I think tf's I think blocky robots. But I guess for some people Hydrant takes this aesthetic too far? It would make sense if he were say meant to have the angles of a more milne-esc design but generally speaking the more traditional look for any character is being blocky. TFC aren't exactly known for going outside the box with their designs.

9. Timesynch

Timesynch Shoganai Mod Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I for one like the blockiness on Notspot/Hydrant. Seems to suit his character. TFC not known for going outside the box with their designs? I think Warning Line would like to have a word, lol. Photron too... they pretty much went away from G1 Reflector in terms of alt mode and bot mode sizes (probably to TFC's detriment as I don't think Photron was a particularly big hit with fans but TFC gets points for trying something new there).

10. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    I was waiting on Hotspot and I'm out at Hotspot, the proportions and details like the feet are just off-putting, Nemean was a step forward from Blackbird, this has a good alt mode, but needs a sleeker build

11. jop

jop Sesquipedaliacon

I think part of the issue is that Hydrant has both a black pelvis and behind it, the black pelvic armor for combined mode - at first glance, they blur together and give the impression that his pelvis is a lot larger and blockier than is actually the case. Similarly, it is very easy to mistake the large, blue plates on the sides of the leg as sitting behind his calves. I think that once we have clearer images and / or the figure in hand, it will be easier to distinguish the proportions of the figure.

I will say however that putting a 'tread' pattern on the chestplate was not the best choice; I would be very surprised however if Reprolabels doesn't produce a couple of stickers to cover up those areas (along with the inevitable slew of red and white hazard stripes). Some black or silver on the center of the abdomen would also help break up the torso, I feel.

12. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

That's,,,,, a long ladder! :jawdropper: 

13. The New Guy

The New Guy Well-Known Member

I'm a bit torn on Hydrant... In general I rather like the blockiness, but the forearms are just too thick for my tastes. I'll keep an eye on later pictures, but not really feeling it as yet. I'm sure that he'll make a nice torso, but I'm not really interested in getting the rest of the team.

14. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    As do I...I also like how apparent the truck parts are in bot mode...I love his big ole blocky arms and legs...I do not, however, like his stumpy legs...makes him look very gorilla like...though, IF I was getting the set (I'm not) his stumpy legs wouldn't matter much to me...how he looks as a torso would be much more important...

15. Elrodthealbino

Elrodthealbino Nerd Alert!

Hey, it looks like the combined pegs on his shoulders are easily accessible. Yay! I won't have to bend my version's fingernails in half trying to get them out like with Hook and Razorclaw.

16. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    Meh. TFC is never going to be my cup of tea.
    Not a single product.

17. Zavien

Zavien Veteran

News Credits:
    Exactly right. For me anyways.

18. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Gas Powered Stick

Yeah, Hydrant looks like a gorilla to me as well. TFC done well with the alt-mode and I like the gatling gun but this doesn't feel like Hot Spot to me. I preferred Hot Spot to be a tall, slender leader, kinda like Diesel. Not a hulking bruiser like Hydrant exemplifies. Ironically, Diesel was done the exact opposite. I always thought of MotorMaster as a large, bruising bully.

19. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I don't think blockiness itself is the issue here. Take, for example, fansproject revolver; he is what I'd call a "blocky" figure in that he has very sharp angles, but they totally ran with it and his proportions look great. Hell, even look at GDO Hotspot, he's also square as hell but very well proportioned.

Now look at this poor sucker, his ridiculous feet, his gigantic forearms (seriously what is UP with those things they are as wide as his torso). I hadn't even seen the worst thing of all until a while ago: his laughable altmode; it's like a mobile stapler. "Blocky" has never been a bad atribute per se as far as I'm concerned. G1 was blocky as can be. It's just that this is a premium figure that looks straight out of the lowest parts of the energon toyline.

20. LazyAza

LazyAza Ehhhhh

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Well I really liked a lot of the energon designs. What always ruined many of those figures though is their lacking articulation, but it's quite different with Hydrant as he seems to have just fine posability.

As for the feet, don't see any issue, they look fine to me. The keep him standing and they have a good shape to them. His arms are big yes, that's because they are the entire truck cab, if tfc hadn't done them that way he'd either end up with enormous shoulders or kibble hanging off everywhere and I think would have looked worse.

I think people are too demanding and narrow minded when it comes to TF aesthetics. Seems like every time a company dares stray from the cliche humanoid proportions look a lot of folks can't get over it.

When I look at Hydrant I basically see the TF version of the Heavy from Team Fortress 2, and that is awesome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]