TFC Toys - Project Ares (Predaking) Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Trailbreaker77, Jun 4, 2013.

1. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Seriously, who is still paying $500 for Feral Rex. There are 2 version of KO of it, both are much cheaper.

2. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Nowadays I won't pay full price for Feral Rex... No way! Maybe 350$. For now, Havoc is the central piece of my display! TFC Ares looks good but is an engineering disaster unfortunately.

I hope some company release another Predaking, a modern gestalt that is not going to be a pantsformer (ughh). Maybe GT or TFM can make one in a near future.

3. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    No offense taken. For what it's worth, I didn't mean to imply that Ares is total shit or anything, but when you asked you were comparing him to PotP Predaking. I just took that to mean that you were looking for a Predaking to go with other Combiner Wars/Power of the Primes combiners, and I think (still do) that UT's Warlord is the best option for that. He can be had for a measly $120 or less, his combined mode is closer to the non-Titan Hasbro combiners, his invididual parts are roughly the same size as the Hasbro Deluxes, and Warlord is less floppy than Ares (but more than Rex). Warlord's also (combined and separate) a lot more G1-accurate, and newer Generations figures (including Combiner Wars and PotP) tend to be a little more G1 than the older Classics figures. Ares is too big and too stylized to fit with other Combiner Wars or PotP guys, I think.

If you're going to put him with other 3P combiners, though, Ares makes a lot more sense. The individual robots have better articulation than the UT ones, and they size better with 3P CHUG-style figures since they tend to run a little larger than the official toys. Plus, for all the trouble those Energon-style combiner ports cause, if you have a lot of other TFC combiners, Energon combiners, or Power Core Combiners it's still worth picking up Ares because you can mix and match.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I think the official Titan-class Predaking and Devastator are both too big to really fit in with the other Combiner Wars and Power of the Primes combiners. While I think UT Warlord is the better Predaking option to go with them, I actually still like TFC's Hercules to be the Devastator to go with them.

4. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I absolutely appreciated the advice. I had my eye on UT Warlord too for some time. The price was certainly appealing. But the styling of it in combiner mode is a little... off... I think in my opinion. It's not CHUG. It's not "Masterpiece". It's a different look. A good different look for sure, but one that just didn't jive with more for some reason.

Additionally, in my own personal head cannon, I wanted a somewhat larger Predaking than Warlord. I always had in my head that Devastator was the first of the combiners, and the most powerful of all of them, save Predaking. But the Autobots have an answer for Devastator in the form of the Dinobots. And all the other Decepticon combiners - less powerful but more specialized than Devastator have an Autobot rival. But Predaking, the last of the combiners, has no equal. It's larger and far more powerful than any other combiner. It's a hydrogen bomb in an arsenal of fission bombs. And in that head canon, that means pretty much Ares and Feral Rex.

I also think that the official CW Devastator and PotP Predaking are too big for CHUG. I get them anyway because they're cool in their own right, but they're kind of apart. My Chug Devastator is Herculues, my CHUG Predaking is Ares. Everything else is Combiner Wars with 3p enhancements.

One thing I'm going to 100% do though is order a 3P replacement sword for Ares. I don't like the look of the combined sword. Looks like a foam toy.

5. redyngo

redyngo Member

My CHUG predaking is Ares as well. He has his flaws but individually the predacons are fun and poseable. Also he looks amazing in my collection :cool: 

DSC_0594.JPG DSC_1038.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  6. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like these guys - but darn are they fragile I had mine break in multiple places.

7. Dio

Dio Scrapper

A little gold spray paint, black panel liner/Gundam marker, and rubber bumpers can go a long way with this figure.
    Bumpers: https://www.amazon.com/Profile-Clear-Rubber-Feet-Bumpers/dp/B001JTFPFQ

I went a step further and built up a couple of ankle braces for each leg that were pretty simple (acrylic sheet and 5mm rod, with some raised Toyhax faction symbols). The feet stay securely in now, with zero issues.

The figure’s still top heavy, but I bet I can devise some simple fixes for my other quibbles. I love the CHUG look and am determined to make this my best Predaking, even if it takes some effort to get there.

1E4964C1-7ADD-4F4D-A6CB-E5F5EDAA5C9C.jpeg F4F43AA9-837E-4B2A-BB7B-D70EFC1EB82A.jpeg 2B5312C1-A144-4542-ACE5-7AA50F5E553C.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  8. Arko22

Arko22 Shaman

I had this idea a while ago but haven't gotten around to taking a pic until now:
    [​IMG]
    I just love this look! A sword and shield work so well. If the wings were smaller it would look kind of weird i think.

• Like Like x 5
  9. daimchoc

daimchoc TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Old):

Dang! Dirty Sock! LOL

10. Agentghost

Agentghost Well-Known Member

which KO version of it? I heard of Neoart Toys but didn't know there were another. I was advised to get the Neoart Toys one due to the very close quality to MMC counterpart

11. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The other is the Jinbao OS KO version, it's even more popular than NT version since it's bigger and cheaper.

12. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm thinking about going in for these. Hasbro, being cheaper, will stay in combined mode, but the animal and bot modes on these are so much cooler than everything else I've seen.

13. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

Ares is pretty damn fantastic. You can't go wrong with those guys.

14. Razor24

Razor24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love my Ares and he’s my Predaking. He’s in a display facing off with TW Dinoking. The MMC Feralcons are in bot modes and are the counter force to FP Dinobots.

Ares definitely has issues for sure but IMO he has copped a lot more flak than he deserves.

Here’s a photo I took a few years back. Holding a dismembered voyager Grimlock in one hand, the huge Junkion Blacksmith Sword in the other and still able to be in a walking pose :thumb 

DEF7ACB8-E855-4606-9230-FDA78FF542BE.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  15. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Yeah, he has the best proportions out of the 3 we got so far.

• Like Like x 3
  16. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

I like my Ares but I find he takes up a lot of room. Was it MFT that was doing a legends version? If I could get a legends predaking, I might have the will to sell Ares, on account of much-needed space. Otherwise this guy totally rocks!

17. Razor24

News Credits:
    Haven’t heard of a MFT Predaking. What are they using as a basis for the design (i.e who are they KOing)?

I would guess this is a downsizing rather than an over sizing?

18. kronatron

Downsizing, I hope. And it was DX9 now that I went back and searched:

DX9Toys War in Pocket X23-X27 Combiner Predaking

Not sure if it's still happening, but it would have been right up my alley, especially if it was done all chunky like Ares.

19. Razor24

News Credits:
    Seems like a dead duck in the water as I have not seen any legends movement on the dx9 front in some time. If they were going to go ahead we should have seen some prototypes by now.

I would assume that if MFT were going to release a set it would either be a downsized and simplified version of one of the 3 sets OR god forbid they get off their lazy asses and design their own! We know they are capable of coming up with their own original designs.

20. kronatron

Agreed. Even if they took Ares and shrunk him down to 33%, I think I'd be happy with that.

Ares was my last big combiner from TFC. I had to skip Piranhacon as there would be nowhere to put him (plus I don't have the $600 to drop on the spot). Been thinking about selling Superion, too. All I really want is more tinier molds that incorporate the aesthetic and articulation of the TFC big bros. Is that too much to ask?

• Like Like x 1