TFC Heavy Labor problems and fixes

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Astronut, Nov 8, 2011.

1. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

2. clay

clay Well-Known Member

This is why I like TFC Toys more than Takara, who seem to rather have you buy Rodimus all over again with no plan of reimbursement.

3. Unclejoe420

Unclejoe420 Well-Known Member

Finally gotten my Heavy Labor today - and yeah, need to do both mods to the chunky beggar! Was wondering which major fix to do:
    1) shaving down the ratchet side bit of plastic;
    2) cutting out a chunk of the D-shaped ratchet;
    3) both!

Any suggestions would be great!

4. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    if you have the means/tools/skills to do so, i'd only do the shave down the backside of the ratchet...

5. Unclejoe420

Well, I don't have a razor blade, but I do have a couple of craft / modelling knives - hopefully they'll do the trick!

So, if I remember right, the mod was to shave about 1/16 of an inch off, right?

6. G.I.EDDIE

News Credits:
    not sure about the amount, but it should look something like this

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Unclejoe420

Is the pic not displaying? doh!! :p 

8. G.I.EDDIE

News Credits:
    how bout now?

9. Unclejoe420

Thanks Eddie!! So need to shave the bit to half thickness...

Sorry for being a clot btw folks...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  10. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I cut out the chunk. Seems to do the trick. Had it apart a few times today after some major testing of the gears and it' s holding with no damage. It'll do until the replacement parts come with Mad Blender or Neck Breaker.

11. G.I.EDDIE

News Credits:
    yeah, i did too...it was the easier, least time consuming, no tools required solution...had i not been a lazt bum, i woulda went with the shave down...but like you said JN, the cut out piece seems to work fine

12. Unclejoe420

Perhaps the chunk chopping might be easier for me, seeing as how I'm a bit hamfisted.. Lol

13. Swoop PK

Swoop PK Active Member

Ebay:
    Just to confirm - It's moving the legs backward and forward that causes the damage? Not the side to side movement that needs the misaligned leg fix?

14. Unclejoe420

Yes, and no; the misaligned leg is caused (as far as i can tell) by a gear wheel installed slightly off. Is a very easy fix to do - even I could manage it!

I did the part shaving fix earlier, gave both HL's legs a few turns back n forth - and it seems to have done the job!! I will take him apart every so often, just to keep an eye on things, then I can let y'all know of any long term probs (if any)!

UJ

15. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's my confusion. This mod appears to actually be two separate mods in one compact description- the ratchet re-alignment, and a mod to remove chunks from two removeable square tab pieces. Are both of these mods necessary to help avoid the stripped gear teeth, squeeky joint issue, or will one or the other work just fine?

Also, it appears that popping screw covers off is alternately easy for some (one person used putty to get them off?) and results in 'carbon scoring' in other cases. Regardless, the popping off of these covers doesn't appear to be easy at all. As an example, the article on the front page with pics shows divets in the plastic where the guy had to dig his out! That doesn't seem like a viable option to me for a hundred dollar collectible. So, is taking screw covers off possible without damaging the plastic!?

16. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

The first mod has nothing to do with the 'squeak of doom', so you'll want to do the second one.

As for the screw covers, results vary from figure to figure and even cap to cap. If one side does get damaged a little, just putting the cap back in facing the other way ought to hide the damage.

Or alternatively, you can simply just not move the hips at all or not even touch Heavy Labor altogether and wait for TFC Toys' fix for the problem that will be available with Neckbreaker or Mad Blender. (or they'll ship it to you for free once it's ready if you email them)

17. JukeOutlander

JukeOutlander Combat Antihero

News Credits:
    I moved his thighs yesterday and CLICK! Can't wait for the parts TFC's gonna be sending. Hopefully it's the entire hip.

18. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

I'm not trying to harp or pick, as I love this custom........ but at $100. a pop and you have to deal with this?
    Even with the problems, I would be all over these, but I'm focusing mostly on G1 headmasters.

Though, getting close to a loose Fort Max Price for all of them.......Ouch!

19. MoonStreakr

MoonStreakr Heroic Decepticon

News Credits:
    Yeah I was all over this set. Got exgraver. I've been holding out on Heavy Labor for a reprint with fixes and now two more are out.. Geeze what to do..

20. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just as a heads up to those contemplating this mod, think twice before cracking yours open. I tried the cut out a piece of each ratchet bracket "fix" and now HL's left leg has virtually no ratchet at all! I doubt this was the intended result, and I followed the prescribed suggestions to the letter. In fact, if this was meant to fix something (like shorn off gear teeth) then I think I'd rather have the shorn gears.

Now I'm not sure what to do. Wait until TFC sends out their fix and hope to God it's better than this mod, or just enjoy what I have left of this figure. But as others have mentioned- and as a cautionary tale to the more timid among you- $100 for a toy that requires pulling apart, etc. is almost too rich for my blood.