TF4'BOX OFFICE have updated,it's 1.087B $ and NO.10 world ranking

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OP20XX, Oct 22, 2014.

1. OP20XX

OP20XX Active Member

News Credits:
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. nusumiyaro

nusumiyaro Active Member

3. Spaceman1251

Spaceman1251 Legendary Warrior

Instagram:
    Actually, that would be 1.08 billion.

4. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Roll on TF5!

5. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    Damn right!

6. fallen_revenge

fallen_revenge Movie News Addict

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's now in the top 10's. Michael Bay has done it again. Honestly it's just a matter of time for them to confirm TF5.

7. Autobots14

Autobots14 I'm pregant Trevor

Where did it opened? And this is awesome it could make at least right now 1.1 billion

8. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The domestic/foreign split on this film fascinates me. Less than a quarter came from America... that's both marvelous for the film's international success, and a bit disappointing in regards to American interest in the TF franchise. Its gross here was over $100M lower than DOTM's.

9. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    This was a weird year. A lot of movies that were expected to do better under performed domestically.

10. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Theyve announced TF5 several times now.

Anywho, suck on that GOTG!

11. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Shhh, things could happen.

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    You people do realize that AoE still technically lost money because it's trailing DOTM's total box office (thread title is misleading) despite having a larger budget, right?

Hell, it's only beating Dark Knight Rises by about $3 million, and every other film on the list is before 2014 as well so don't expect AoE to stay on the top ten for long.

You do realize GOTG didn't have nearly as big a marketing push as AoE and yet has made as much as the first Transformers film, establishing what could be yet another profitable film franchise in Disney's Marvel portfolio on a comic book series that was so little known before that it's virtually a new IP altogether, right?

Hell, it's bringing the cassette tape back to retail. Let's see AoE do that.

13. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    InB4 the "money doesn't make a film good" crowd shows up stating the obvious :rolleyes2 

14. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I don't like the whole AoE vs. GotG thing. Even if GotG, or any other movie, makes more money than AoE, it doesn't take away from the amazing success the TF franchise has had.

15. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

As has been discussed in previous threads, a US-based studio (e.g., Paramount) typically gets a lot less of the cut from foreign gross, compared to North American (US/Canada) gross.

Here's an article discussing exactly this point with respect to AOE. For Hollywood, Not All Box Office Dollars Are Equal - WSJ. According to that article, when post-theater revenue (e.g., DVD) are taken into account, the US market is worth roughly 6.5 times the Chinese market (basically the worse of the lot). That's a substantial gap: a US studio is going to make more off of a movie with a 100M US box office than 500M in Chinese box office.

I suspect Disney/Marvel Studios walked away with a much, much nicer profit margin off of GoTG than Paramount/Viacom did with a AOE.

16. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It kind of seems like in the quest to make films an international hit that the studios are losing the spice that makes a film appealing domestically. Things like witty dialog tends to get dropped when studio heads start worrying that someone somewhere in the world might not get it.

I don't know I guess I'm starting to see what happened in comic books happen to movies as well. When comic books like Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns became big hits then it seems like the whole comic book industry rushed to dark and gritty because if you could just make Richie Rich dark and gritty it would sell as much as Watchmen. But over saturation kicked in and too much of one thing hurt comic book sells. I kind of feel like too many films have been too much alike and that is hurting the domestic draw for these films.

You also have to wonder with the take that a studio gets at what point is the domestic box office so low that the international box office can't make up the difference for the studio?

18. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I couldn't read the article because you have to be a subscriber, but going off of your description, some of this sounds a bit erroneous. First of all, I don't think you can really use domestic post-theater revenue to devalue international in-theater revenue. In other words, DVD sales in the US shouldn't be factored in when comparing the % of ticket sales Paramount gets from the domestic and international box offices.

Also, if the Chinese market held as little value as you say, then why would movie studios make such an effort pandering to them?

19. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    That's a good point, also I'd like to know exactly how much of the gross came from China.

20. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

For the straight-up box office dollar, the article estimates an average of $.50 on the box office dollar to the studio for the US and $.25 on the dollar for China. So a 2:1 ratio, there.

I see no reason why a studio should not look at post-box office return when deciding where to put their production and marketing dollars. It's distributed over time, but it's a return on that initial investment. Note that the 6.5:1 ration in favor of domestic is not ignoring Chinese post-box office revenue; that's included. It just isn't much of a market for post-box office revenue.

As to why studios make efforts abroad, profit is profit. You've already invested in the production budget, so the Chinese return is, to some degree, gravy (marketing budget is separate, of course). It's less profitable gravy than the US, but you're at a point where you can't get more US viewers into seats, so you profit where you can. The point of the article isn't that the Chinese box office isn't worth anything. Rather, it's an article about not making the mistake of thinking that a box office $1B split 200M/800M domestic to foreign is the same as a 500M/500M split, or the like. Similarly, a movie with worldwide gross of $.7B can be as profitable, or more profitable, than a $1.1B gross, depending on the distribution.