TF1 Plothole: Why didn't the Decepticons just buy Sam's glasses on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by GoldenKnight1212, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I'm not trying to argue that kids aren't stupid. I'm saying that Sam Witwicky selling antiques to make money to buy a car was a stupid plot device. Not only were they antiques, they were literal family heirlooms. And not only did he try eBay, he tried selling them directly to his high school classmates to be used as Columbus Day gifts.

Again: a plot device in TF1 was Sam trying to sell his classmates antiques as Columbus Day gifts.

People really don't give this movie enough shit for being awful. Because it's pretty awful.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Yes, Sam was trying to sell things to buy a car. Kids want cars. Kids need money to buy cars. Kids try to sell things to make money. Kids are dumb so they will also try to sell things in school. Every school has that one "weird" kid. There are things that are wrong with the first film, but there is literally nothing abnormal about this plot device.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I disagree. It was a bunch of nonsensical garbage.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JimTheJIRRMan

JimTheJIRRMan Droop Snoot

News Credits:
    Well, selling something on eBay entails you having to win it once the time expires, and then wait for the seller to pack it and ship it. In the time the auction would take to expire and for the glasses to be shipped, the autobot would've already gotten to Sam. Remember, Bumblebee got to sam before the decepticons did. He would've simply stopped sam from selling the glasses.

5. Furnace

Furnace Ant-droid at a picnic

:lol  That one killed me!

Seriously though, how would those glasses lead the Decepticons to find the Allspark at Hoover Dam when the Allspark was right there with Megatron when he imprinted its location?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Honestly the kind of XIX/early XX century items like we was selling wouldn't even sell well because they were mass produced...

...and people buying antiques for collecting do not use Ebay. They need their collector's crack certified.

He wouldn't earn much this way.

7. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    Megatron knew where the Allspark crashed but he ended up in the Arctic Circle because our atmosphere messed up his telemetry and the Hoover Dam was built around the cube,right where it crashed,they never transported it,they just brought the frozen body of Megatron there.

8. Toad84

Toad84 Well-Known Member

Til all are won!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Toad84

Toad84 Well-Known Member

I feel like the only Decepticon this would stop is Shockwave. The others wouldn't care but he'd be like "that is logical. You guys got me there."

• Like Like x 4
  10. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I rewatched it last night, and I thought something similar, but not phrased as hilarious and sensical as you put it.

Some of the things Sam, his parents and others do in this films for jokes, are not only unfunny... they are very odd.

Also I don’t know how as I’ve seen the movie a billion times but I absolutely blocked the bumblebee peeing scene out of my memory... but I remembered it last night.

• Like Like x 1
  11. normtrooper

News Credits:
    Actually I just remembered another thing from that very scene. Sam says “...bring him $2k and 3 A’s”
    First of all how was the teacher going to give him a B- that presentation was garbage. But let’s overlook that for a moment. He was giving him a B- on the presentation not the class. So what... do teachers give out grades for the entire semester right then and there at a desk? And he has a paper he shows his dad moments later... the whole grade thing is kind of silly, very silly.

Edit:
    He also says he needs the money to go to the car fund. Then 15 seconds later says “I have the money I just need the A” if he had the money why is he selling glasses for Columbus Day... HE HAS THE MONEY

• Like Like x 1
  12. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe he was hoping to exceed his goal? In terms of his price range.

13. normtrooper

News Credits:
    I see where you’re going... but he was willing to take $30 idk how that would help since they were literally leaving that very moment.

I actually love the movie still, I do notice it’s flaws a lot more now that I am older though.

14. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    I guess I don't really take problem with Sam trying to make money off of his glasses. I've tried to sell worthless stuff in the past, just out of desperation (albeit, I was a lot younger and without Internet access to research prices). Still, I can see how he might have tried anything possible if he was desperate.

What I think is dumb is him trying to advertise his product during his presentation, if that presentation was so important to him. Generally teachers seem to grade as much on effort as quality (sometimes more), so you'd think Sam would probably have given it his all. It would be one thing if it were simply a bad speech because he's not a good speaker (or speech writer), but he pretty much intentionally sabotaged it.

15. Achilles1943

Achilles1943 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my new head cannon states that is the reason they didn´t do what op suggested lol

• Like Like x 2
  16. Azuzu98

Azuzu98 Whatever

News Credits:
    Frenzy : "Lord megatron, it seems that we can't bypass the security system called captcha since we're robots"

Megatron :" well shit better raid ladiesman217 then"

• Like Like x 4
  17. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

So instead of bidding, they wait for the auction to end and send Barricade in disguised as a UPS van instead of a police car :) 

18. Wheeljackie

Wheeljackie He will set us free

Probably because they don't have money and they would need to get jobs. Bonecrusher HATES working.

19. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Thread complete. Please exit in an orderly fashion.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

And Frenzy disguising himself as a UPS worker. :)  In all seriousness, this stuff's getting way to complicated. The smash and grab has the benefit of simplicity.