TF Toy Disappointments.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by JomasterII, Nov 22, 2017.

1. JomasterII

JomasterII The Space Consultant from Jolo

News Credits:
    Yo.

Whats your current disappointment when it comes to a TF toy?
    Personally mine's the fact the new POTP Optimus isn't Powermaster Optimus Prime. It could have been a great chance since that figure combines with its trailer just like the new Evolution Optimus. But that's just me.

• Like Like x 3
  2. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    My disappointment with them is the amount of rage and time people waste over them.

• Like Like x 23
  3. JomasterII

JomasterII The Space Consultant from Jolo

News Credits:

4. Steelfire

Steelfire Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed in myself for owning more Hot Rods than I ought considering I'm not crazy about the character.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Destructimis Prime

Destructimis Prime We have Landed

News Credits:
    Finding them for sale. Anywhere. What's the point of an online websites that sell out of a preorder? Isn't the point to make enough to meet demand?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  6. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 are you compensating for something, talking down?

News Credits:
    D O T M
    W A V E

It may not be recent, but the pain and tragedy lingers like a scab you can't stop picking at

• Like Like x 4
  7. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    The deluxe Dinobots should have been voyagers imo, just like Dreadwind and Darkwing, Doublecross and Grotusque and the original Headmasters.
    The Predacons should have been deluxes.
    And the Pretenders should have had proper toy accurate updates where a legends sized inner robots can attach to a voyager sized transformable "shell".

• Like Like x 5
  8. Salvanis

Salvanis Probably not a true fan.

My TF toy disappointment remains pretty much the same as it ever has been: the fact that Hasbro and Takara seem nearly incapable of designing a jet mode that doesn't have half (or more) of a robot hanging off the underside.

More specifically, I'm disappointed that PotP Starscream looks like an utter dumpster fire in both jet mode and robot mode, all to fit in a combiner gimmick that should never have been forced on a seeker to begin with. I really hope I change my mind on that once the reviews start to drop, but it's not looking great so far.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @JomasterII I am never disappointed with the modern TFs. The clue is in the title where they are 'toys' so I judge them by that.

Some may not be what I want, or pitched at my target age group so I simply don't buy them; but I know kids love the modern lines. Rescue bots don't do much but my friend's and relative's 18 month to 3 year old kids love them.

Masterpiece which are the collectors line have been perfect.

Last TF I was actually disappointed with and in relative context were the pretenders back in the 80s when I was a kid. Most boring toy to play with ever back then and was the playground nail in the coffin for TFs. I actually remember finding a lot of G1 transformers pretty naff at the time (mid-late 80s), they were bricks even then.

@Salvanis the masterpiece line jets have been pretty good but you are right there has been a trade-off on jets prob more than other vehicles.

As for the normal toy lines, they have done pretty well given context. Half of the toy jets you can buy which are just jets and don't transform don't do jets that well and have kibble, gaps, triggers, grips etc stuck all over them.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Raiju

Raiju Mendokusai desu... Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Disappointed that the plastic around TR Weirdwolf's canopy hinge disintegrated, and my online retailer refused to cover the damage or offer a replacement because it was a "known issue". Pffft.

• Like Like x 2
  11. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Disappointed that CW Sky Lynx is so hollow and has no way to secure the shoulders. Also, disappointed in how much CW Motormaster sucks as a torso. I shouldn't have to buy a third party kit just to make a toy work like it's supposed to.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

How bout the fact that he's a tiny Voyager? Where's my KO OS version?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Those cheap stickers on voyagers that peel off in a day are a disappointment.
    Sixshot's robot mode is a disappointment.
    The fact that around here the only wave available right now is wave 3 is a disappointment.
    The fact that online retailers want to charge $35 for a PotP Voyager is a disappointment.
    The fact that we never got bodies to go with the Headmaster Jrs is a disappointment.

14. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    I was so disappointed with the crappy QC on MP 9 Rodimus when I got him, that after struggling with him for an hour or so, I put him back in the box. That was the biggest disappointment I've ever had with a TF toy. I eventually brought him back out, but I'd love a proper re-do.

Also so disappointed with the plastic quality and color and lack of paint on MP Shockwave I actually returned it. Only MP I've ever returned.

In general, I'm also highly disappointed that so many classic G1 toys never got reissued, especially the Dinobots.

One last gripe...how goddamn slow the MP line is about finished the Ark crew. I seriously doubt it's ever going to happen at this point. And please don't tell me to just "go third party, man" cause I don't do that.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Duskscream

Duskscream Well-Known Member

There can still be bad toys, Jazz from a decade ago is better than a new one. There should be standards. Saying it's for kids and excusing all flaws is not good.
    There are plenty of bad MPs, the seeker molds are pretty bad and messy.

Dinobots are a huge disappointment. They are way too small, and they combine when they're not suppose to.

• Like Like x 5
  16. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    get the Perfect Effect Jinrai add on. YES it works on PMOP it just wont combine with Godbomber if you do that. It made a toy that I easily passed on into one of my favorite Transformers EVER

17. Cavadus

Cavadus Well-Known Member

CW Motormaster's torso is a big one for me. The upcoming seeker mold for PotP is another.

• Like Like x 2
  18. GoldDeadEnd

GoldDeadEnd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TR Fort Max having so many remolded bits that he can't pull off a proper city mode, that he lacks his trademark weaponry, and that Cerebros is integral to both alt molds. I don't want to see remolding on Titan class. Every other class I can deal with. But these are supposed to be an event. Seriously, I look at him, think for a second about how gorgeous he is, and then look at my G1 Max reissue and am reminded of how much more he can do.

CW Blast-off.

Devastator's elbow issues.

I'd say the lack of Horrorcons and Toraizer in TR if I weren't certain TR2 was coming.

No GI Joe crossover line.

Legends class losing their weaponry, although I realize more often than not that class didn't include accessories.

DISTRIBUTION. I LIKE picking out the best paint job among several specimens at retail.

Pricing on domestic Masterpieces. Everything seems $20 more expensive than it should be.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not really excusing anything but perspective and context is important. Kids toys have a price point and as kids toys go, transformers are pretty good for playability and stimulation compared to everything else on the shelves. Ok it's not Lego but hey.

Other action figure options including WWE, Turtles, Power Rangers, Star Wars and Marvel/DC all have issues across ranges and the years.

I don't know any kids that worry about things that have been mentioned in this thread including accuracy of bot and alt modes. They do worry or get frustrated about things breaking however but that happens in all toys.

As for the POTP Dinobots, I would love to see some voyager/leader sized ones but they are comparrable sizes to G1 now. Given current pricing on toys, voyager and leader classes are hard sells. It's only 10 years ago, deluxe were the price of legends and so on.

Actually, that's my disappointment right there, I do have one. Pricing...... TF toy prices have gone up disproportionately to other toy brands in my opinion.

TFs are competing against consoles and smart tech these days too so kids expect more from them including gimmicks.

20. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm mostly let down by poor QC. Especially parts that deteriorate over time. A good example is HFTD (?) Bludgeon's treads.

Yeah, those are my current disappointment with the POTP line so far. The major ones are the Dinobots, Dreadwind, Darkwing etc.

For Titan Returns, we had TFs who weren't headmasters being headmasters.

But what was terrible were some of the figures weren't aesthetic pleasing such as Galvatron.

I agree with the post on Fort Max flaws too.

Oh man...where were you when the original feedback thread when MP 9 was released? You could have 'supported' my opinion that figure was a massive let-down. LOL!

I recalled being blasted for being 'negative' etc. Thankfully I was proven correct over time that MP 9 was very flawed by others.

My apologies if you were there! :) 

• Like Like x 1