TF Toy Collecting and Significant Others

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dex17113, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I like my wife too much to subject her to ROTF.

2. arneld048

arneld048 Well-Known Member

My wife doesn't mind me collecting.... I got my 3 year old into it. My wife would call me and say He's calling optimus prime, awesomess prime and hes going to beat up cyclonus. She would smile and laugh and say got get him awesomess..... lol

3. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    She tolerates it. She doesn't particularly enjoy seeing me spend all that money on toys yet she often helps me find stuff when she's out shopping.

4. MADMEX33

MADMEX33 Well-Known Member

My wife accepts my addiction, and she actually enjoys going toy hunting with my son and me. She has also surprised me with a few TFs during our marriage. Some of these include MP-04, classic Devastator, THS-2 and some others that i cant remember...

5. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

My girlfriend is generally supportive of my hobby, but I make it pretty easy on her, too. She collects pens, so she understands the collecting bug. While pens don't have a fandom base behind them, we both get a lot of enjoyment from watching each other open a new package.

Sometimes she'll balk at the price of things (as I've slipped on that slippery slope of Fansproject stuff), but as long as the bills are all paid, the car has gas, and we have food, she's OK with it. We talk with each other about every single toy I buy, and I try and keep her updated on the ones I want... because every so often, she'll pick one up for me. I usually leave most financial decisions to her, since I'm currently the only income in the home, and she acts as my "accountant" for lack of a better term. It works out pretty well for us.

As far as what she thinks of my hobby? She thinks it's cute. She understands I have an attachment to certain characters, and she understands that I enjoy the puzzle of figuring out a new toy when I get it, and she teases me when I need to break out the instructions (though I think she's just as disappointed as I am that I couldn't figure it out on my own).

Long story short - as long as we can afford it, it's not paying money for toys so much as it's paying money for something that makes me happy.

6. wm10k

wm10k Reanimator of Dead Things

my wife is addicted to make up, i am addicted to toys.

it works.

she's made a habit of granting the toys I purchase her seal of approval, which is pretty much a gentle pat on the head....the toy's not mine.

so yeah, when we go out to shop we always hit the cosmetic and toy depts...and in that order too, cause i'm classy like that.

she doesn't watch the shows...which generally I don't either really....

7. soull

soull Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Though my boyfriend doesn’t collect Transformers himself he sometimes gets a little too carried away helping me with my collection. If it wasn’t for me being there to rein him in my collection would be twice the size it is now.

8. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    My lady is cool with it becuz its a "cheap" hobby, when I was into sneakers it was hell for her...now sometimes she gets a little upset, when I go into a plastic crack haze when new figures dropped she like " how many are there?!"...she tries to help out but its hard for her to remember everyone I got...but for the most part she's real cool about it!

* forgot to mention, she was able to transform movie 1 ldr prime, when I couldn't...

9. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Lol! Im shocked at how many chicks support guys or put up with us in this hobby. But the above sounds about right in my end. :(  No love here for sure.

10. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Then you have learned the wrong things buddy.

My wife supports my collecting.Anniversaries,birthdays,X-mas gifts are always toys or comic book related.

11. LeiWood

LeiWood Let the Games Begin!

Well my lady is my better half - LITERALLY - and she accepts and appreciates it as a part of me. Hell, she surprises me with figures from my "Want List" from time to time as "just because" gifts - she's great!

12. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

I popped the '86 movie in one day after my wife and I had only been dating for a few weeks. To my surprise, she actually jumped up and exclaimed "Transformers! I love the Transformers!" She then proceeded to tell me how her brother had some tf's when they were younger and how she remembered how much it made him happy. I took this as a sign from above and later that week we went to my mother's and dug all my tf stuff out of one of her closets. We had fun fiddlin' with 'em, then took it all back to my place. When the Bay movies came out, we got all stoked about going to see them and actually ended up seeing both movies three times each! First time by ourselves, second and third times with family and friends. She thought it was cute when I bought a few figures after the first Bay movie. Then came the wierdness. You see, I stopped collecting when I was a teen and the new movies "sparked" my desire to start collecting again. As more and more figures entered our marriage and our home, her tolerance wavered. She actually kinda became "cold" to my collecting for awhile. However, my persistence paid off in the end! When she finally took a step back to take it all in and realized how much this means to me, she turned back into the women I fell in love with and married. One that accepts my interest and takes interest in it as well. Over the years she has bought me several figures, games and dvds. Nowadays she doesn't want me to stop collecting and actually encourages me to keep going. It's really nice to have such a loving wife that is supportive of something I really enjoy. Man, what a blessed man I am. Peace!

13. wm10k

wm10k Reanimator of Dead Things

was it going to be a dealbreaker if she eventually got tired of the toys?

14. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

:lol  No I suppose not. I just would've had to visit my mistress, being that of my transformers, at the local storage unit several times a week. :wink: 

15. dark gundam

dark gundam PowerMaster

My girlfriend knows of my love for these toys but she could care less. I often compare her to my last GF who actually bought a lot of my TF's as well as knowing some of the more important character names. She was a sweetheart. Needless to say my new girl probably won't last very long as I'll likely be dumping her soon, not because she doesn't care about my hobby but just because she's a bitch.

16. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My wife likes the toys and supports me collecting them. She likes to collect odd nink knacks herself. If she sees something cool she likes she will get it. She has a Scalpel,Ejector and a Stealth Force Optimus and loves my WFC Bumblebee and is constantly fiddling with him. She has a few Figmas, Revoltechs and random other things.

So we try to keep a budget aside for when one of us sees something we like so we can pick it up.

It works out well for both of us.

17. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Not everybody has english as their primary langwich....

just informing..

18. smokey420

smokey420 auto-con

My fiancee thinks I'm crazy and addicted to transformers ,but she loves the fact that I stick to stuff and dont get tired of shit quickly.She moctly complains about how expensive it is but then she bought me music label soundwave for christmas

19. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hmmm my gf liked masterpiece megatron too, women and the decepticons must be working together lol

20. Shadow Convoy

Shadow Convoy Stealth Ops Commander

Ebay:
    my girlfriend likes the new tf movies but won't sit down and watch the cartoon with me cuz well..its a cartoon lol. BUT she supports my hobby and buys me toys too :)  for x-mas she got me takara MP grimlock, for our anniversary she got me the USB ravage and she buys me random figs "just because"