TF Toy Collecting and Significant Others

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dex17113, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

Okay.....

So I recently started dating this girl, who has no connection to fandom at all, and I've been attempting to educate her on Transformers. Admitedly, it's going slowly, but she's trying. She was obsessed with getting me all the Happy Meal toys that were out recently and called me so happy that she got "Iron...something-or-other."

In any event, my Birthday is on Monday...and...she got me....a MASTERPIECE MEGATRON!

Can't believe she did it....so cool....so in any event, this got me to thinking:

How do your TF obsessions/collections go over with your wives, girlfriends, etc.?

....Just curious,

Dex

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My wife respects my hobby and joins the fun whenever possible. In turn, I do my best to support things that she likes.

3. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    My wife hits me with a bag of oranges every time I bring new plastic home. To be honest, people at work are starting to question it after I started showing up smelling of citrus and avoiding OJ and muffins before the 8AM meeting.

But really, she's always been cool with it. I have one of those absurdly large collections too, so, she's not just "putting up with it". I'm lucky that she's good with the collection and all, but mostly that she understands why I do it. It's all about being fair with time and money. Most importantly, it's about owning your hobby and not letting the hobby own you or your relationships.

Most girls won't be cool with collecting and they don't really have any need to be cool with it. So, be happy you've got someone who is willing to accept that and learn to keep it all in perspective.

4. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    My wife is ... ambivalent when it comes to TFs. She's watched both movies with me as well as the original animated movie. Her eyes glaze over anytime I start talking about TFs though. But she does like that I have a hobby that I enjoy so she lets it be so long as I dont overspend. We have other interests that we share so it's no big deal.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Mine goes toy shopping with me. She also goes to conventions with me (and at Auto Assembly last year I think she spent more than I did).
    :D 

6. Dex17113

@ Counterpunch - Oh I'm totally thrilled that I have someone that tollerates the hobby...particularly given she had no exposure to fandom of any kind before this. Granted, I support her hobby too (she makes candy) which earned me points I think. When I found a bracelet made with beads that look like the truffles she makes for instance....POINTS!

....and the oranges thing was freakin' hysterical!

7. Manok

Manok Well-Known Member

My wife likes it because she knows it makes me happy. She bought me tfcc nightbeat for my birthday which was a total shock.

8. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I think the biggest contribution my wife has made to my hobby is getting me 3 of the disney label TFs

9. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My wife is very cool about my collecting. It kinda helps that I got really into it after we were already married, LOL. Before we got married, it was a Prime here or a Starscream there... nothing major. Fast forward 7 (almost 8) years and she knows ALOT more than she did to begin with. We've been to Botcon the last 2 years and she loves it. Mostly cause she likes to see me happy and we've made some great friends through the TF Community.
    As long as we have a roof over our head, food to eat and all of our bills are paid she is completely cool with it. Like Counterpunch? said... you have to own the hobby and not the other way around.

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This, only at this point she is my fiance. Congrats to the op, though, for finding someone that cares about you for who you are and what you like.

11. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

She bought you a MP? ..if she likes giving head; marry her.

My fiance makes fun of me, but not in a mean way. She's bought me plenty of toys over the years (Nebular Starscream was a Christmas gift), including my very own Astromech Droid a couple of years ago.. that wasn't cheap.

12. rhapsodyred99

rhapsodyred99 Well-Known Member

My spouse is ok with it, to an extent.

As long as my bills are paid etc, its not a big deal.

Not going to ever understand paying massive money for the MIB Grand Max I got awhile back, but its not like I took out a loan/maxed the cards or did not pay the bills, so could not say too much about it.

The biggest issue we have now is display space, I'm going to have to seriously slow down, or start boxing up/selling.

13. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    Considering my wife sunk nearly 1200 into glass display cases for my collection, I'd say she is supportive! Some of that was for her though because it looks nicer which makes her happy.

On the whole, she has some interest and gets excited by my excitement. I think she feels like at some point I'll stop though:) 

14. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

My girlfriend has bought me countless TFs over the years we've been together. She lets me have a whole room in our house for my collection, she even has small collection of her own (a vast array or robot heroes and legends + SDCC Soundwave & Blaster). She phones me up from every shop she goes into that sells TFs to tell me what is in stock, she attends Auto Assembly with me every year and knows a fair bit about the mythology etc. I couldn't really ask for any more.

There is some form of TF presence in every room in our house. Yes, even the bathroom... :D 

15. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Shortround in fan mode!

16. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    My girlfriend is very supportive of my collection. I'm realistic with her though because I'm not going to try and get her into my hobby. She'll go toy hunting with me, comment on the ones she likes, and is interested in watching the Bay flicks with me, but that's the extent. I look forward to getting our kids into the hobby.

17. ZacharyBinx

ZacharyBinx Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    When me and my current fiance got together, Mattel was just getting ready to launch their WWE line.

This girl would go along with me 2 hours every which way looking for new stuff, would always check Wal-Mart whenever she was out, and was in general just as excited to find the stuff as I was. I can still remember her being SO STOKED that she found me a 1/1000 William Regal. I can remember us going to a concert in Cleveland (about 3 hours away), and HELPING ME FIND every Wal-Mart on the way home so we could look for stuff (and we found 3 1/1000 Regals, and 2 1/1000 MVP's).

And it hasn't changed at all since I got into Transformers. Whenever she goes somewhere, she checks for everything.

And I've already been told that when we get a house, I can have a toy/nerd room. Haha.

She's the first girl who was ever into this stuff with me, and completely accepts and encourages it.

Proposing to her is probably the smartest thing I've ever done.

18. Dex17113

LOL....In fact, she does....and she's excellent at it!

19. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    My lil lady always tells me: "I'm happy if you're happy :) "...and collecting makes me happy.
    Seriously though, she respects my hobby, and she really enjoys seeing me all giddy over a new piece.

20. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wakanda Forever!!!

My wife has been extremely helpful with this hobby of mine. I just got back into collecting when I started to sell my old TF's that I had as a kid to make extra cash to help with wedding expenses. I only sold a few because I began to put them up on shelf in my office/gameroom/mancave. Ever since she has been buying a TF every now and then for me just to see my reaction. She even bought Shadow Scyther for me.