Minor/Repaint: TF Prime Wildrider CHUG Conversion (WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Raiju, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Really like how these three look (custom Motormaster and Universe Drag Strip; nope, I didn't make MM aside from giving him weapons and some DIY touch ups and repairs as I got him secondhand). I already have TFCC Deluxe Breakdown in my BBTS PoL. Now I just need to figure out how to get a decent Classics Dead End stand-in (any suggestions would be welcome to use as a base).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I never really liked the black Deluxe Rodimus redeco as Wildrider since it doesn't really look like him (that and the exorbitant prices of the genuine article and the dicey QC on the KO) and thought TFP AM Wildrider is such a great toy but missing a nose (the TFP aesthetic lacks noses but I'll eventually kitbash one for him when I have the time) and some height. (The TFP aesthetic also tends to be more rounded than blocky like G1, but I don't overly mind.)

For added height, I kitbashed some new ankle joints (with tilt!) and feet for him so he's not quite so short and squat compared to other CHUG Deluxe figures. The new feet partsform and simply snap (relatively securely via friction) onto his calves/shins without damaging the toy, and can be taken off easily for transformation. Also gave him the rifle that came with MakeToys TrashTalk and Cogwheel since it looks so much like his G1 gun (I just added a new 5mm post for the handle).

Some comparison photos of my modded figure next to other toys, such as TF Prime Wheeljack (the original mold upon which Wildrider was based), BiS Rodimus (upon which the black Wildrider deco is based but I don't have), and Stepper thrown in just for the hell of it (since the Jazz mold is one of the taller Classics Deluxe figures on par with the Sideswipe/Breakdown mold).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The parts I used were the gray feet from DOTM Deluxe Armor Top Spin as the calf/shin connectors, the red hip ball-cup joints from Asian Generations Scout Laserbeak, and the socket joints and gray feet are from the video game controller figure from (Bayverse) TFTM Real Gear line.

Applied some glue and Pledge/Future polish to help tighten up the joints. Now he's pretty poseable as far as his ankles and feet go, though his knees are limited (only allows a slight bend) due to Wildrider's old feet blocking articulation from behind the knee. But for normal standing poses, it's fine and doesn't bother me overly much.

Will give Wildrider a nose soon!

Attached Files:

2. Primon4723

Primon4723 Autobot

He's taller then wheeljack!

3. Raiju

News Credits:
    Yup, that was the intent so Wildrider would be as tall as the older Universe to RTS Classics Deluxe figures, and doesn't look so short and stumpy next to Universe Drag Strip and TFCC Breakdown. :)  As much as I love the TFP/PRID Wheeljack mold, he's a bit short. (The Classics Rodimus mold, and subsequently the black Wildrider redeco, is also way too short for my tastes since it's the same general height as Wheeljack.)

4. Chopper1

Chopper1 Well-Known Member

Totally love what you have done to this, excellent work.

5. Blastification

Blastification Fembot Supporter

Deadend is tough. I'd like a good one, myself.

6. bkz

bkz Deceptifiend

This is pretty cool, i am doing the same thing as well with my stunticons except I will be getting the generations motormaster instead of doing a custom. When I get home from work, I will post my dead end digi concept on your thread if you don't mind.

7. SteamShield

SteamShield Well-Known Member

Excellent idea, just the right amount of extra height for this figure!

8. SteamShield

SteamShield Well-Known Member

Yes please let's see that

9. bkz

bkz Deceptifiend

I plan on using Timelines Invasion Treadshot for dead end, I think this version fits in well with the rest of the team. My Treadshot is sitting in my pol, not sure when i will be shipping. Feel free to create this custom if your cool with the concept. Also, where did you get the gun for dragstrip?

Attached Files:

10. Raiju

News Credits:
    Thanks, glad you like! Still working on giving this guy a nose though. :D 

Agreed! I like TFP RiD Dead End but he strikes me more as a Banzaitron homage than G1 Dead End.

Nice! I still plan on picking up Generations Motormaster and Hasbro's Stunticons (maybe Takara's instead if their deco's turn out nicer) as I'm fairly sure some enterprising 3P will be making an upgrade kit to make the combined form much cooler and more accurate.

Thanks, and agreed!

That's pretty darn nice and would make an excellent Dead End! Digging the colors, especially! Thanks for sharing!

Drag Strip's gun is actually from Legends Silverstreak. The 3mm peg is a pretty decent fit for DS's fist holes and is a better G1 match. It just needs to be purple. :D 

11. Wheeljackie

Wheeljackie He will set us free

Man thats sweet really makes him different from Wheeljack great work!

12. Raiju

News Credits:
    Thanks, much obliged!

13. thunder117

thunder117 Magna Defender

Ebay:
    Curious to see about an update!

Can you also detail how you did the feet? I don't understand how you took off the hip ball cup joints from GDO Laserbeak.

14. Robot.MacGyver

Robot.MacGyver Improvisational Engineer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty creative thinking for a taller bot. Sweet work.

15. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    Odd thought, but how do you think it will look with the Combiner Wars versions head?

16. OVERCLOCKER

OVERCLOCKER Research and Development

your wildrider could kick my wildriders ass all day!

17. Raiju

News Credits:
    Admittedly I haven't revisited this project in a while (I forget the exact details of what I did with GDO Laserbeak) but I'll try to find the time to do so.

Thanks!

I haven't bought any of the CW stuff aside from Leader Megatron and Scouts like Powerglide and Tailgate/Windcharger (waiting for the Takara box/gift sets instead) but your idea of taking the CW Wildrider head could work. Have to wait and see if the joints are compatible. I do have a feeling that the CW Wildrider head may be a bit too small (since Generations Deluxe figures these days are on the smaller side than in the past) for the PRID/AM Wildrider mold, and could result in some pinhead syndrome.

Thanks, I think. :D