TF infiltration 3 discussion (some spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lumpy, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Quoted for truth, and this is one of my favorite issues so far. I loved the bit with Ironhide in front of the screen and the last scene.

And actually, one of my favorite parts of this series is the art. EJ is no DON, but I like it. Though I will admit some of the re-designs are a bit odd.

As for DW's ongoing, it was indredibly awesome, but it frustrated the hell out of me at the same time. We krept getting all these hints about this mystery thing, but almost no substance for it. Really, they were drawing it out just as much as IDW is drawing out this story.

PS: Love Verity.

2. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

To those who wonder why one of the old continuities can't be continued, a synopsis:
    1. G1 Toon. Ya, sure, continue a story that was a random mashing of confusing multiple backstories and '80s cheese.
    2. G1/G2 comics. Basically finnished the storyline, didn't it?
    3. DW. Mess of rights and litigation.
    And for people who like those continuities, they are putting out DW TPBs and doing Transformers Generations reprints of the old Marvel books.
    Also, Marvel can get away with starting up a story where they left off because they have a huge readership that will buy it just because it says Marvel. (eg. The new Moon Night starting next month.) A smaller company like IDW needs to gain readership, and that means starting at the beginning to avoid alienating new fans.

3. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Hated #0-1, liked #2 and 3, with reservations.

Bumblebee's redesign is the Worst Thing Ever. If you're going to redesign something based on the SAME vehicle mode, you'd damn well better make it special -- or at least, BETTER looking than the last one. Trunk chest makes my eyes hurt.

The story is pretty much OK, with the caveat that the inevitable "only HUMANS can prevent extinction!" bullshit reared its ugly head AGAIN. The flip side of that is that we see two Autobots besides Ratchet deliberately breaking ranks with Prowl, who is quite the dick in this continuity. I'd like to see those tensions (and the character issues behind them) explored some more -- it worked for Beast Wars, after all.

Decepticon Infiltration intrigues me. Why sneak when you can smash?

The legs really don't bother me that much. The art does -- sometimes it's decent, other times it looks smudged or rushed.

-XCN-

4. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

Infiltration is alright, if the story is not completed though this will be the least memorable of all the G1 stuff. I see the potential here for something good, hopefully IDW can keep the momentum up. I would love to see this series go 80 issues, I would be willing to bet some neat stuff would happen.

5. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Well, for those who want to see/feel the epic robot space opera DW vol. 2-3 had, I guess the upcoming summer "Stormbringer" (Simon and Don are scheduled to be on it) series should be your cup of tea. Though, I believe it will be a continuation of the Inflitration series, since this arc is basically introduction and setup.

Admittedly, Istill need to confirm that last comment. :/

PS I like Bumblebee's new transformation scheme.:) 

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Dreamwave dug their own hole and subsequently died in it. Fanwanks can't keep the boat afloat. Sorry.

7. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

QFT.

The factor that will decide IDW's sucess is not whether they will maintain thier current sales levels (which they obviously wont) or please a couple of hundred internet whiners, but whether they can get and keep a stable base of readers that will keep the book profitable and in middle area of the sales charts.

That is where DW's title failed so miserably, they were still venting 2 to 4 thousand a month at the point where sales should have stabalised and it was heading rapidly towards the point where it wouldent have been viable to publish. They published a title so fanwanky that it made it inpenetrable to the wider comic readership and uninteresting to some of the people who they could of relied on for gaurenteed sales. Not only that, but they did nothing to change the directon of the book to fix that once the trend had become obvious.

Add that to the fact that they wern't publishing much else and there you have the factor that would have killed them off regurdless of Pat and Roger's plundering. No amount of crying and excuse making from self-important and business-ignorant fanboys would have changed that and no amount of it now would make the same approach to publishing Transformers comics work if somebody was stupid enougth to try it again.

8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i get what youre trying to say, but the fanwanking was not the reason DW went under. poor business sense was.

i think some ppl were thrown off with the change in direction that came with vol 2. but im sure most who stuck around through vol 3 only had good things to say abt the series, up until the end.

9. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

The lines between the two are a bit blurred in this case since Transformers was pretty much bankrolling the company at the time. Even if Pat and Roger wern't making off like bandits, they still would have been publishing an unappealing book with unsustainable sales losses. Less sales means less money and less books means higher break even points.

Its more then possible to sustain a comic company on a single franchise or book, but you need both the right content and the right business model to do it. Dreamwave had niether and they made no effort to rectify that, nor did they make any sucessful or properly concerted effort to spread thier eggs.

People wern't sticking around thougth, which was half the problem with that book. The other half being that no editorial decisions were being made to change the content of the book to fix that.

10. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I liked the issue. The story is taking time to build but hopefully it will be better in the long run for it.

11. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

A couple more thoughts:

I said the legs didn't bother me. On second readthrough, I realized that's because they aren't featured for most of the issue ... except on pages 2 and 3.

Well, I take it back -- backwards-ass Gundam horse legs make my eyes hurt. It looks like someone took a room full of TF's, cut them in half, and stuck horse legs on all of them. They don't look right at ALL.

Bumblebee's chest is a hood chest, rather than a trunk chest. It still looks like ass.

I was surprised that no one brought it up ... but Bumblebee's holo-avatar is a cute girl, who with the right hair coloring could be a Carly fan-wank. Why is that?

My first thought was: "oh, the Autobots probably figure that it's mostly girls who drive Beetles" ... but that's really more true for NEW Beetles rather than old ones. The possibilities after that go to bad places (Bumblebee got a sex change, Bumblebee wanted to role-play a girl for a change, Bumblebee likes cross-dressing, etc.)

So ... um ... yeah.

I fully expect Arcee's avatar to be a heavily-muscled construction worker now. With a sledgehammer.

-XCN-

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

BB has a hood chest and hood feet. How does that work I wonder?

13. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I thought that too, but upon closer inspection the feet appear to be his trunk in car mode and the shoulders and chest forming his hood. Or maybe it's the other way around, I don't remember.

It still looks stupid as hell though.

14. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

'Cause it's really unlikely to be intended that way, given that the writer worked on lots of continuities in which Carly didn't exist? And because Carly was a blond with an 80s hairdo, different face, etc.

What are you basing this on? The avatar being a woman?

Unlike his pot-bellied traditional self, flawless because we're used to him that way.

How does a robot get a sex change from neuter to female?

Both holo avatars we've seen so far seem to have been picked to be non-threatening, whereas a young male (studenty-types and middle-aged women tend to drive old bugs) will get more hassle -- if any -- from local law enforcement. A young woman driving the second family car or in an inexpensive 80s model isn't going to attract attention. And whilst not ugly, the holo avatar isn't stereotypically hot.

15. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

For some reason I'm thinking of Morrison's DOOM PATROL where he introduced Danny the Street, a living street that's a transvestite (example: the hardware stores on Danny have pink curtains on them).

16. Hakudoushi

Hakudoushi Well-Known Member

I really liked this issue. The art consistancy is wowing me. As some of you may remember DW had a problem with one really kickass looking issue followed by a 'WTF is with the buggy eye' kinda issue. That really bugged me with DW. I don't care for new the 'boxy' looking bots and cons, but Ratchet looks good as a square. I find it weird that Sunstreaker is in it (which I think kicks ass) but without Sideswipe... :sly2: 

I like Verity and the guys. I think they're a good combination of personalities for the Transformers Comic.

I think they're doing great a great job so far and I hope we get to see some action soon.

My one complaint it the price. They should sell em for $1.99.
    #2.99 is an odd amount of cash to have every month when I remember 'Oh yeah! Transformers is out this week!'

Plus is I get more than one comic the price is kinda steep. Whatever happened to the 88 cent comics?

17. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    I believe Pat Lee dug a hole that the writers eventually fell in. I can't see how all of Dreamwave can be blamed for the mismanagment from Pat Lee.

This series is just terrible. 4 issues of nothing. Nothing at all. I get annoying kids, being scared, and a holo human Rachet doing nothing but running. Monthly I get ugly art, horrible redesigns, bad pacing, and an overall bad story. I'm not against the retelling of the mythos; I loved the DW stuff, it was perfect. I'd buy another reboot, but this ain't it. This is the first Transformers comic I'm not gonna buy. I'm actually tired of complaining about this book. Terrible comic. Absolutely terribe, in every way.

PS Loving Beast Wars more than most Transformers comics. :) 

18. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

It's hard to believe people are reading the same comic...

19. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

I read issues 1 and 2 in the comic store.

While the story was... passable enough the art was fricking horrible.

Like I said months ago when art first came up, I feel theres fan artists in our community that can do far better than whats coming out in the book.

I look at BW1 and TFI1 and wonder how they come from the same universe.

And everyone talking about the huge drop in Dreamwave sales? You think that IDW will do much better? The TF comics franchise is way too niche, and judging from net reaction, people are already switching off (not TF fans, but the curious).

I can't see this lasting long either.

20. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'm just disturbed that i'm reading BBs dialogue with gilvezan talking in high pitch.