TF animated Stolen goods by the loads?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by bman, Feb 5, 2008.

1. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    its logistically not feasible. then hasbro would be setting up 2 depts for QC, a regular one and another that oversees the salvaging of rejects.

their deal is profit via maximizing distribution. theyre not a mom n pop organization that needs to micromanage production. they know the amount that reach distributors is more than the amount that reach buyers (hence toys going on clearance/repackaged). salvaging from rejects is peanuts.

2. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    That would actually make me feel better. I'd love to know I saved my particular figures from being melted down! It's like running a rescue shelter for wayward toys!!

3. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    ah is this not like taking pens from your office? lol

4. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    Yeah I dont care if some guy is selling a few loose toys on the side, be it in a store or on ebay, like previously stated he may be making his weeks wages for one bulkhead sold, I dont have a problem with that, maybe its a lesson for hasbro not to pay peanuts

5. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Technically, the "sellers" aren't stealing from Hasbro, they are stealing from the factory. Hasbro orders figures by a set number. It's up to the factory to pay for the materials and labor to manufacture the required amount.

So what I'm thinking here is that the workers are stealing from the Hasbro pile, so the factory has no choice but to make more to meet the Hasbro order. I mean, Hasbro would bitch if loads came over seas a little short. So while the mold that's being used is Hasbro's, the theft is against the factory, as they are the one's losing money on this.

6. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I feel the same way as other people who already posted. If they are stolen, I don't think it's a big deal. The factory workers are extremely poor. I think it's pretty messed up that some of the Malaysian posters want to sic the police on them for this.

And considering the huge numbers that these toys are eventually produced in, it's not going to affect Hasbro bottom line at all (assuming it's Hasbro that's affected and not the factory). If you're concerned about Hasbro's lost profit, you should care a lot more about the Zhong Jin counterfeit G1 toys that take away demand for reissues. That's where Hasbro and Tomy are really going to lose money in the long run.

7. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I shouldn't worry about the poor factory having to make more to meet hasbro's demands, either. Productions always have "overs". You make more than you need because you know some will get damaged, be tossed due to QC, etc... You never make exactly how many you need.

The fact that so many are showing up might be a good indication of how much we're going to get blitzed with this stuff when it finally hits though. Hasbro's production quantities have likely been upped a bit since they don't want another "bare shelves" incident like they got with the movie; it takes product to sell product.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    and then a kid get's screwed when their parent brings the replaced toy home. But I bet you don't mind one bit. and that's fucked up.

9. CANNABIS PRIME

CANNABIS PRIME Vagabond

News Credits:
    This thread is based on assumption right? No one is for sure how these products were acquired. That being said, I think it's basic but clever economics. The whole supply & demand, choice & scarcity thing.

One can say it is the fault of the public for being impatient. Choosing to pay an inflated rate causing high demand on a scarce product giving "brokers" a chance to supply by any means for capital gain.

10. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    QFT

Most stores put these back on the shelves rather than sending them back to Hasbro. And if the store sells it again, you aren't hurting a faceless corporation, you're hurting an individual, most likely a kid. You can say that's the store's fault, but when you act knowing the consequences, you are responsible for those consequences.

Just because you regret making a purchase, Hasbro did not screw you. Repeat that ten times.

And to bring this back to the original topic, I disagree with the practice of selling test shots, so I choose not to buy them. But I wouldn't judge anyone who buys them.

11. dare

dare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In a sense, this is true. In every line of toy manufacture, there are always over-runs. If Hasbro orders 5million Bulkheads, they'll get a good 5-10% extra.

Then there are all the REAL extras. they can come from various sources.

1) Test shots. These are done to test the mold. After that they are disposed of.

2) Rejects. Due to QC issues (usually paint problems), these items that are usually 80-99% OK are thrown away.

3) Sales samples. These are an early run of toys used for promotion and display, eg Toyfair, trade shows, Magazines etc.

4) Stolen. These are really, truly taken from the assembly line. They can come packaged or loose.

Personally, I don't think these "lost" pieces are damaging hasbro very much. They provide a LOT of free promotion for hasbro (see how much fuss we kick up over a newfound proto... and they didn't even have to lift a finger), and it's been a great way for myself personally to pick up cheap parts for customs, or even HTF convention exclusives (since it's nigh-impossible to get one where I am without shelling out enough to buy a flatscreen TV or two).

12. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its only snitching if you are actually part of the crime.

13. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

And considering the huge numbers that these toys are eventually produced in, it's not going to affect Hasbro bottom line at all (assuming it's Hasbro that's affected and not the factory). If you're concerned about Hasbro's lost profit, you should care a lot more about the Zhong Jin counterfeit G1 toys that take away demand for reissues.

Reissues of Wheeljack and Mirage? Aaron Archer stated that both molds were unusable, and I really doubt there will ever be sufficient demand for these characters to create new molds.

Paying $60 for a brand-new Autobot car is much better than paying $100 for a loose, used one, assuming the Wheeljack KO turns out as well as the Mirage.

14. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    I loooove the new eBay Animated figs. I even pay for ones I dont get. lol

15. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Stealing these testshots is like stealing the hundreds of donuts or pieces of bread Krispy Kreme and Subway throw out each day.

16. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    these arent test shots. theres none of the usual indicators that these were going to the reject bins/not for sale, even if my screamer is hella floppy.

17. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    No, these are the real deal. Steal me more, workers!

18. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Hear, hear!

Funny how all it took to get me involved in the "suspicious" selling of advance toys was the sweet sweet lure of Animated. I don't know what it is that's got me hooked, but damn, does it have me good.

19. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

I'd imagine so. They 'fell' out the back door of a factory or something. It's an awful lot of product to be legally acquired or to be test shots (my SS hasn't come in the mail yet, I hope his joints feel 'new' and final-producty).

Whoa, rough! Why so hostile towards the poster? Or is that more directed at the posters in the source thread? That's some gangster styles being repped :lol  Rough with the animosity and threatening the safety of 'snitchers'.

And on that note, bring on more animated toys ebay! (voyager Megs please!)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  20. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

I think maybe the extended delay for their release has tempted a lot of people to go find them on ebay when they are so readily available there and won't be in stores for months. So people who otherwise might not be pre-release buyers have been coaxed into it and the checking to see if we can find them keeps us hyped up over them. I usually don't have desire to advance buy (I'd rather spend any dough past retail prices on vintage), but with the wait, seeing everyone else get them, the relatively cheap prices on ebay, etc. I bit and ordered a Starscream and will order a Megs if I can for < $35.