Texas Transformers Sightings

Discussion in 'Transformers Sightings' started by JasonPrime, Apr 25, 2003.

1. AutobotAlvaron

AutobotAlvaron Autobot

Does anyone know if the re-release wave 1 Combiner Wars Deluxe Stunticons/Aerialbots with the comic books are showing up in the San Antonio area, or are the ones trickling in now only the first batch non-comic versions? Oh, and are they priced differently whether the comic books are included or not?

2. WXornot

WXornot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So far, I've only come across the Stunticon/Air Raid Deluxe Wave 2 the sets with comics, at the Wal-Mart on Westover/151 location, though the issue was that they weren't scanning in their systems. I don't know if they ever fixed that problem - that had been about 2 weeks ago. Haven't seen them as of recently. And the price for Deluxes should be the same at last check ~$17 bucks. Though if you're at TRU, the price of the CW Deluxes have gone up to $20.

3. AlbertVanK

AlbertVanK Un amico italiano

Am I the only one having an hard time to find CW in Houston?
    I remeber I saw Motormaster in Target and I regret I didn't buy it that time... since then I have been in several Target / Walmart and CW are always out of stock or never in stock, do you think we have to struggle like this any longer or this is just the way Hasbro deliver its goods across US? I am asking because I am new to US and I wanted to understand if the best wave to get TFs is actually online shops.... I love retail toy hunting so much that I strongly hope it's not..

4. Dake

Dake Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Houston is a strange market. With some exceptions we seem to run about two weeks behind the coasts for sightings and then a month or more for saturation.

I collect mostly Tfs, Star Wars and GI Joe and they all follow this general formula. Every once in very long while we'll get something first, but that seems to be a fluke. I can honestly say over the last ten+ years I've never not seen everything at least once - but there are a few cases where I've only seen it once but never again. If at all possible, the safest bet is always to pick it up when you see it.

That being said, Prime/Silverbolt have only just seemed to show up in greater numbers, so I expect you'll still have a good shot at Motormaster.

5. AlbertVanK

Thank you, this is encouraging.
    I aslo think that this CW line it's way better than the AoE line, this is why Walmart and Target (soon to Ross) are literally overwhelmed by toys from last season, one worse than the other, we are happy for this CW line....if we are just able to purchase those products :) 

P.S. I miss the MASSIVE availability of TFs in Malaysia and Singapore...

6. smiller0570

smiller0570 Maximal

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Walmart on 4th st and the one on Gilmer Rd here in Longview have CW Deluxe wave 2. I went ahead and grabbed an Offroad and I have to say he is pretty awesome. Out of him and Dragstrip, Offroad is my favorite. I just have to catch up with wave 1 though I might skip Alpha Bravo since Blades is a direct repaint and I'll wait for Slingshot. Anyways they are showing up!

Also is it me or does anyone else have CW figures that give your hands a weird slime type feeling after you mess with them? I can't really describe what it is but I was curious to see if anyone else had that happen.

7. AutobotAlvaron

AutobotAlvaron Autobot

Thanks WXornot, I'll be on the lookout for the eventual re-stock. So the price hike is confirmed...Ouch, how much will Leaders be now?!

Hasbro is making Transformers more appealing with all these G1 homages in Combiner Wars, then takes a lot of fun out of this hobby by hiking up their prices, while doing nothing to increase availability of their newest figures. I know the big-box stores are to blame for slow/ spotty distribution, but Hasbro should do something, to at least increase their sales (since that's all that matters to them).

8. smiller0570

smiller0570 Maximal

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry guys but this is not a sighting. Olive Films responded back to me today about a question I had and they answered. They plan to release King of the Hill Seasons 11, 12 and 13 by the end of this year.:eek: :rock :drool: 

I am a huge KOTH fan and this made my day!!!

9. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sure, sure. But I bet you don't miss the prices.

Here in the US, you've got to keep the time of year in mind.

January-March (aka Post-Christmas) is a really bad time. Stores usually just let their shelves sit empty. It's gotten worse each year. If a wave is supposed to come out at this time and you really want a figure, you should pre-order it just in case. This is also the time lines usually die and have last wave-hard-to-find figures *cough* Arcee-Chromia *cough*.

April-May (spring ahead) - stores start refilling the shelves. Hasbro usually run two lines, one supported by a movie or cartoon and a secondary line. CW is the secondary line so distribution might still be spotty.

June-September (100 days of summer) - this is when the stores tend to fill their shelves, usually with toys supported by a movie but the secondary line should also be on shelves. Which also means they tend to over-order waves 3 and 4. If you haven't found wave 1 & 2 yet it might be time to order online or take your chances at discounters.

October-December (happy holidays) - at this time of the year you start getting the later waves, with more obscure figures. There's also a sweet spot right before Thanksgiving where the toy prices might be marked down.

And this is the easy summary. It's actually a little more complicated, detailed then this when you throw in SDCC, fake clearances, etc.

EDIT: Also do not know how things work in Malaysia but here in the US, for Walmart/Target/ToysRUs, you can return toys within 90 (3 months!) of purchase so if you can afford it, buy, keep the receipt and return later if you decide against. The other stores might be tougher (30 days, 60 days) but they have return policies also. HEB, in theory also takes return but their system sometimes doesn't recognize things.

Futhermore, kids nowadays seem to only want electronics and electronic related items (Amiibo, Infinity, Skylander) so you may see traditional toys losing shelf space. It'll be more significant in the US just because the mass retailers traditionally carried more toys then retailers in other countries.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  10. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
  11. WXornot

WXornot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No problem. Yeah, the restock will happen, it'll take some time, but I'll chime in if I come across them again. The hike in price is only evident at TRU so far, The Leader figs there are tagged at $50. Other retailers remain at $45.

Agreed. It's great that Hasbro finally got into the Combiner game, though as you point out, distribution is an issue in itself, though I don't think we're the only one suffering. Though because of this, I've been more likely to order off of online retailers like HTS, to avoid the disappointment of empty pegs/shelfwarmers.

12. AlbertVanK

Thank you for taking the time to write down such a comprehensive and nice guide. I like the retail toy hunting that is why I always try to spot toys in stores rather than online, way more difficult nowadays.
    I miss Malaysia, toys availability there and yes prices too. Well if you buy Hasbro at TRU in KL they will rip you off, but if you look for third party or Takara you would be amazed about those prices. I got all my third party TFs there and I ship the entire collection to Houston. Singapore is another Transformers capital, but prices are mmmmmm,....

I also found some G1 in a couple of retail shops in town Bedrock City and another one, as well as Traders village.
    If anyone is toy hunting in Houston like I am, let's team up :) 

Also as a side note, I am not able specifically to find any CW wave 2, and anything of the Platinum edition. Moreover I only saw a MP once in TRU near Memorial, but never ever again.
    IS distribution of all HAsbro products more focused on Asia than US ?

13. tgbobafett

tgbobafett Mandaloricon

News Credits:
    saw this at a local hastings up in Mt Pleasant, TX...anyone know what this is called and if there are more out there anywhere? it said G2 on the back and wave 2, but the girl said thats the only one they've ever gotten in!! :(  i can't find much of anything on it online!

Attached Files:

14. PkmnMstr

PkmnMstr Well-Known Member

Loyal Subjects Action Vinyls. They're normally in blind boxes. Looks like G2 Grimlock is exclusive to Hastings.

15. xa rumblebee

xa rumblebee ...sting like a bumblebee

News Credits:
    it is a hastings exclusive. he's been out since october. i should know cause i had him preordered since june and they moved the release date back 3 times. g2 colors compared to the g1 dinasour headless version from wave one and the g1 dinosaur head version from wave 2. you should get him if you get the chance cause they are all but sold out.

16. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We have several toys shows and meetups in Houston. Mykticon is the contact person for those. It's a big city though so you'll only occasionally run into each other while hunting. San Antonio used to have the big toy show, I'm not sure how it is now.

There are several Bedrock cities. Third Planet carries comic and toys, with the usual mark up but sometimes you luck out with good sells. Some members hit the flea markets often and come away with good stuff.

I've only seen CW wave 2 deluxes and voyagers at Walmart. Seen the scouts and leaders everywhere but they don't last long. MP's have become hard to find a TRU. I think it's more a problem with TRU distribution then Hasbro.

17. tgbobafett

tgbobafett Mandaloricon

News Credits:
    thx guys!

someone sent me the link to their website i noticed over on toyark, and they want like $30 for the Hot Topic version! i'd rather have the cheaper version if i had to get one lol be cool if i could get a megatron like this!

18. PkmnMstr

PkmnMstr Well-Known Member

The Hot Topic ones have lights(I think) and sounds. And are quite a bit larger.

19. xa rumblebee

xa rumblebee ...sting like a bumblebee

News Credits:
    that is correct! the hastings version is g2, but is only 3 inches tall. the hot topic version is g1, but is 6 inches tall. the 6 inch optimus from hot topic is the one that makes sounds. i'd try searching some hot topics to get those still since at times they have a buy one get one half off sale on those.

20. D3VC0N

D3VC0N Decepticon

News Credits:
    To add on that try checking an outlet mall if you have one and go to their Hot Topic.
    They sometimes have those marked down to some degree. Or they will have a wave that maybe you missed.