Tessa Yeager should have been the action hero

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by worldsgreatest, Jul 2, 2014.

1. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In a year that's seen high praise of and performance from movies such as Hunger Games, Divergent, and to much lesser extent The Host, it seems that Hasbro missed the mark with this one.

Obviously, Age of Extinction is going to gross a billion dollars worldwide before it hits Blu Ray so it hasn't missed the mark that much, but I feel like making Tessa the central hero would have:

A) Been more interesting

B) Been smart branding

Was Cade even needed? Was Shane?

After all: if the franchise has had an annoying male lead for seven years, why not?

It seemed like Ehren Krueger was setting her up in the first act to do just that. Dropped lines about learning to code, building robotics, and excelling in school all seemed to point to this...and then it just got dropped.

Oh well. At least she attached a hook to a giant sword. That's something right?

2. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Considering that she can't act for shit I think that would have been an awful idea. I say cut Shane and keep the father/daughter dynamic.

3. MasterZero

MasterZero Taking a Break

Consider Cade repaired Optimus and Shane saved the gang's life at least twice, I'd say so.

Honestly, the fact that Tessa was able to save herself twice on Lockdown's ship puts her as my favorite female lead character. That's not exactly easy. She had to cut the tongue off of an alien prisoner and beat the slag out of a pair of...whatever those two drone things were.

4. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I think what Bay said he wanted to do was to not have to start over with the teenager as the main character situation because it would probably feel too similar to the past films so he brought in Wahlberg to be the main guy to ease in the characters of Tessa and Shane to have larger roles in the next film (if I remember correctly).

5. Datsun87

Datsun87 Doomed shuttle casualty

Baby steps

It took 3 movies to drop the toilet humor and give bots not named Optimus proper characterization and decent amounts of screen time.

I had no problem with Marky Mark's performance but a strong female lead in a Michael Bay movie seems like asking for a bit much in my opinion.

Now if you could get James Cameron to direct a TF movie one day...

6. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

What do you think about Steven Spielberg directing a TF movie himself?

7. ShovelFace

ShovelFace Internet Savvy Shovel

The only problem with that idea is that she is an awful actor and isn't interesting or fun to watch in the least.

8. worldsgreatest

News Credits:
    I'm only citing evidence of her being built up in the first act as an example of how I WOULD HAVE liked the character of Tessa Yaeger to be. In a different movie.

I'm talking a whole new screenplay here, and not incorporating anything that happened in this movie (or the characters) into that new screenplay.

They wouldn't even exist. Except for Tessa, or whoever a female lead would be.

9. MasterZero

MasterZero Taking a Break

I thought she was alright in Age of Extinction. I don't really blame her for the debacle that was Katara during The Last Airbender, partly cause M. Night is known for directing his actors to underact.

10. worldsgreatest

News Credits:
    It could be a different actress, because yes, she was pretty bad.

The sky's the limit! This is imagination-land!

11. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm assuming her acting ability wouldn't suddenly improve though, right?

12. worldsgreatest

News Credits:
    Cast someone different.

If you can get a strong male lead in Wahlberg I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard.

13. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought her acting was good.
    Not oscar worthy, but not bad by any means IMO.

14. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    *reads the OP*

...dude...this is Michael Bay we're talking about. This isn't James Cameron.

The most Bay seems to prove she's competent about is handling a 'stick-shift,' yelling for her boyfriend to drive, waiting until the cops almost catch them before deciding to get on the Autobot's ship, and outrunning robo-wolves.

15. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Oh so it can just be the character, but with a better actress.

Then sure, why not, go for it. Chloe Grace Moretz is what, pushing 18? She's badass and could crack the jokes Bay requires.

16. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    This right here.

The only time I found her believable was when she was crying with a gun to her head. I didn't hate her in it, but the girl is not a good actor.

17. moylan55

moylan55 Well-Known Member

she could be, maybe in 5 or 6. I was pretty impressed when she landed that hook actually. I love how everyone on the internet is acting expert

18. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At least we know she can run the gamut on shouting 'DDDAAAADDDD!!!' in different pitches and ways.

19. worldsgreatest

News Credits:
    Haha.

I'm sure most people do this, but after I see a movie I don't like I tend to re-write the things I disliked about it in my head.

Unfortunately, that leads me to post...

20. Datsun87

Datsun87 Doomed shuttle casualty

Well it would definitely be an improvement over Bay for most areas but I don't think he would be able to craft as chaotic action scenes.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take Spielberg over Bay any day of he week and the TF franchise would be far better off for it. Spielberg has a very special talent in leaving auidences with a sense of wonder and awe, to this day I still feel captivated by the original Jurassic Park and even E.T. I felt that the alley introduction in the first TF was a result of Spielberg's magic over Bay's, that specific scene resonates with a completely different feel from the rest of the trilogy.

However as much flak as Bay gets, the man is a master pyrotechician and can produce chaos on a scale I feel few other directors can match. Bay can't tell a story to save his life but he creates action scenes that do the Transformers justice.

James Cameron would be my ideal director as he can has the best traits of both Spielberg and Bay. Cameron can tell a coherent story while leaving the auidence in awe before the over the top action sequences even start. Just look at True Lies, Terminator 2, Avatar, and hell even Titanic (just comparing Cameron sinking a ship to Bay collapsing a building in DotM).

That said, Del Toro and Abrams would also work :D