Terry Pratchet's The Watch getting Tv series

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tekkaman Blade, Oct 31, 2018.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    The Watch: BBC America's Discworld Adaptation Debuts Controversial Cast Photo

[​IMG]

The new cast photo was revealed on the BBC America website.

"In BBC America’s newest original series, The Watch, an unlikely group of misfits, The City Watch, find the guts to save the world, surprising even themselves in the process," BBC America's official synopsis included with the photo reads. "The comedic yet thrilling series pits trolls, werewolves, wizards and other improbable heroes against an evil plot to resurrect a great dragon which would lead to the destruction of life as they know it."

2. Slacker

Slacker Slacker Supreme

I can live with Sybil IF she is a good fit for Vimes. Carrot is OK. Detritus looks like a 70s BBC version of fan4stick. Angua just no. Cheery wtf? Most of all the thing wrong with all of this is Colon and Nobbs. Terry Pratchett nailed the 1970s mumping copper perfectly with Colon, its not like it would work if they bring in a new young pair for season 2.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter

Pratchett's daughter is pissed.

:popcorn 

• Like Like x 2
  4. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Oh, wow. So that's why they look different, because they deliberately distanced the show from Pratchett's work.

I don't blame her for being angry.

• Like Like x 2
  5. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The story seems to be the same as the first book's which is a good sign. The cast is... less good. Who is the lady with the dual wielding axes? Please don't tell me that's Vetinari aka the "Matriarch"...
    And Angua being a dwarf and Cheery a totally tall guy is just terrible. The troll CGI looks OK (or is that a costume) and I have no big issues with Carrot and Vimes either, just dunno why they had to do these dumb redesigns/castings.
    EDIT: Wait that's lady Sybil??? WTF??? She was never a supermodel looking badass in the books, nor was she this young.
    Really grinds my gears that this show, which I waited for this long to happen, had to come out in the era where BBC works with minority quotas in shows, like we were back in the dark ages of hollywood.

Huh, where does it say about deliberate distancing? I only see her being angry them not thanking her dad for the show... Which is terrible, isn't this called Discworld? Or they are removing that from the title too?

They are noticeably absent here... are they even in the show?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  7. Mudslide

Mudslide Sick of exclusives

Egad, that cast photo is horrible. I always envisioned Detritus looking like the Rockbiter from the Neverending Story, only smaller, not Groot with rocks.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Has the well run so dry that all these writers and 'creative' types can grasp is to take someone else's work and create an inferior version of it for the masses because reading is too hard for them?

The recent Brave New World adaption has been pretty decent, but more times than not the adaptions or remakes turn out to be low-effort trash.

I'd ask them to make their own story instead of just trying to make it big off of someone else's, idea often with a failure to grasp the original material, but generally their original ideas suck too so.. maybe get a new job.

At this point I've been burnt by so many terrible remakes, continuations, adaptions and so forth I'd rather they just left things alone and make new stuff instead.

• Like Like x 2
  9. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Rhianna linked this excellent article explaining how things got so pear-shaped:
    Terry Pratchett's Discworld The Watch TV Series
    In short, the original contract was about Terry Pratchett writing the show. With his death in 2015 this meant that since the Narrative studio Rhianna was part of was not mentioned in the contract, the BBC was basically free to do what they liked with the premise. :(  Hence the weird cyberpunk setting (electricity in Ankh Morpork???), the weird genderswaps, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  10. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:

Vimes isn't supposed to be twitchy or humorous. He was based on Clint Eastwood.

And here's an unexpected cameo from Death!

11. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Still no war in Ba Sing Se

Terry Pratchett looking down on them right now:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    I can only assume the people making this never read the books... and Cheery being taller than Carrot! FFS!

• Like Like x 2
  13. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It is out, and it is crap, as expected...
    -Death laughs and makes jokes. The Discworld DEATH. For ****ing real...
    -They retconned Vimes to have been a criminal in Carcer's gang (yes, the serial killer from the later book) who infiltrated the Watch to kill Captain Keel. When Vimes refuses Carcer shoots him but Keel jumps in front of the arrow and then just makes Vimes captain on the spot...They also add this backstory about Carcer having raised Vimes from poverty and being his mentor.
    -Present time, they explain Vetinari (not really explained why the Patriarch is a woman, we even see posters with the classic male Patriarch's face on it so... no idea) gave the guilds power to cut down crime so the Watch is minuscule now and does nothing, Vimes is drunk. No sign of Colon or Nobby but Detritus and Angua are already in the team.
    -Carrot just shows up and they did keep that he was raised by dwarves as well as him arresting people who have a license to steal, but they made him into a joke who practices arrests in front of a mirror... I think someone saw Hot Fuzz and thought they could be that funny.
    -Yeah Cheery is a she, and despite being a dwarf she is taller than Carrot, which he even remarks. She is also their forensic expert and she just shaved her beard when she came to the city - no buildup to that unlike in the books.
    -Carrot literally resigns the next day already after being disappointed in the watchmen doing nothing at all ,but then realizes he was sent to the Watch because the dwarves are afraid of him as he got too tall. So, apparently it is OK for Cheery to be that tall but not him?
    -Ankh Morpork is basically present day London slums, looks like it too, they have electricity, the streets have security cameras with gremlins in them, but they use tablets instead of paint...
    -The Librarian is mentioned when the Patrician orders Vimes to get the stolen book back, but isn't seen.
    -Goblins do thug work in the city (as opposed to working on farms as slaves, like in the books), wear weird armor and helmets, and talk in growls like SW aliens.
    -Angua straight up tells Carrot she is a werewolf and unlike in the books, they have to lock her in a cell every time she turns.
    -Lady Sybil and Vimes meet when... she knocks him out as he was investigating a dead body on the streets, cuffs him to a desk alongside criminals she collected from the street and tries to re-educate. Yeah she is basically a completely different character. Then she threatens to feed Vimes to a dragon and then has him lead her to the scene of Carcer's reappearance while still keeping him in cuffs. Truly, they are destined to be married...
    -Cut-Me-Own-Throat-Dibbler has also been R63ed and is now a woman in a wheelchair, she is also not a salesperson of objects of dubious origin but an information broker.

A good comparison, the new Detritus really looks like Groot, except done on a low budget. Looks more like he is made of dried mud, and sometimes parts even fall off the costume when he moves his arms. The rubber mask is terrible and you can see the actor's human eyes. Due to the legs being super tall, he can also barely walk. I think even the Fan4Stick Thing would have made a better Discworld Troll.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Mudslide

Mudslide Sick of exclusives

Good lord, I'm just going to pretend this joke of a show doesn't exist.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The BBC is a joke at this point. I just read they are now banning Grease from their channel because like, 5 people on the internet complained that it is sexist. These people lost all touch with reality.

16. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    As an example of how it should be done - saw the fan backed short film of pratchett's short story Troll Bridge had been posted to youtube. Perfect, and be sure to stick around for the song in the credits.

• Like Like x 2
  17. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Geez, this thing keeps getting worse...
    So 2 episodes in, they killed off Detritus. Yes apparently trolls, despite having stone skin, can easily be killed by crossbows? Or maybe the director realized this costume looks terrible and wanted it out of the show.
    Death is terrible. Talks like some rapper, complains that nobody appreciates him, and apparently just showed up for no reason since he knows Vimes will not die.
    Lady Ramkin has a weapon racket, and basically takes over everything from Vimes. She and Carrot do most of the investigation, really.
    Dr Cruces has been R63-ed too. Carcer can somehow summon the dragon, I dunno how, he is no wizard - and the thing looks terrible, seems to be made of smoke. I was reminded of that shadowbat thing from the Eragon movie.
    The Arch-chancellor is... I dunno who he is, never call him by name, but he is way too evil to be Ridcully (he turned someone to a couch just because he was snooping around). The Matrician accuses him of being responsible because apparently the wizards invent things now (seriously? did these people read the books at all how they use magic for everything?) such as street lights, the camera gremlins and typewriters. And apparently the Archchancellor is taking these ideas from OUR Earth as he shows a hologram of "Round-World" to Vimes. They also added a terrible joke that due to a spell gone wrong, musical notes bleep out every time he swears.
    The Librarian is... not an orangutan. I have no idea what this thing is but as both a zoologist and a Discworld fan I refuse to call him the Librarian. It looks like a terrible monkey mask they made out of a halloween mask, at a moment's notice, by someone who never saw an orangutan and had it described to him by someone translating from another language. Forget the new Planet of the Apes movies, the OLD Planet of the Apes movies had better masks than this.
    The.Watch.2021.S01E02.720p.WEBRip.x265-MiNX.mkv_[2021.01.21_00.27.38].jpg
    And the University has a room in the Library where if you stand there, you can read every language and also "read" people - but the side effect is you turn into an ape eventually.
    Oh and Lupine Wonse, the guy who was the Patrician's secretary and the head of the dragon plot in the books? He has been R63ed too, and is a cleaning lady at Unseen University who helped Carcer with the book and is secretly a female wizard who tries to teach herself magic. Because of course this has to be about equal rights too (or should I say equal RITES?)

Btw, this show got its just deserts. Check out the IMDB page, 130 reviews after just a few episodes? Yeah, the Discworld fans are not happy and people who are just checking into this without knowing the relation are equally unimpressed.
    The Watch (TV Series 2020– ) - The Watch (TV Series 2020– ) - User Reviews - IMDb

Oh and almost forgot this... Sooo true.
    Neil Gaiman on the Watch.JPG

That is indeed perfect, Cohen looks just like I imagined him from the books. :D 

• Like Like x 2
  18. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    You can tell when someone actually read and cares about a property, the story is enhanced by the visuals. It would work with out them, but good acting and good visuals complete it. No need to subvert it, it worked the first time. (Thanks for sharing)

They can't help themselves they always have to change it, because they are better than the creator and they know more than him(They don't) All they care about is it's a known property. And they will become popular and more remembered than the author if it's a Hit.(They won't) This is why I can't stand the media today, they always have to make major changes and in doing so miss the point of the original version. Where as if they had stuck closer to the source material (Which already was popular to a number of fans) they would have the hit they wanted. But nope these days find a property with a fanbase subvert it because we don't care why it was good in the first place, then complain when fans complain it wasn't like the source material and you aren't getting good ratings. Then say the fans are all haters who don't support your genius and that is why it failed. Then go subvert another property disappointing another fanbase.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't mind changes that just enhance the original version, or flesh out details the original work did not - it's why I like the Hobbit movies as they are frankly the same story but with more meat on the bones. And the David Suchet Poirot shows/movies made the stories even better with the additions by the actors, such as how Suchet collected little habits from the books that Poirot has, and added them to his acting.
    But the important part here is that as you say, these adaptations respected and actually LIKED the original, and did not look at it as basically a stepping stone to tell their own story with, and look at characters and stories with a "how can I change this to suit my agenda?" mindset... Like how this was done with shows like Teen Titans Go or the new She-Ra, which have so little to do with the originals, they might as well have used different characters/settings. Or well, the best example is the new Star Wars, where the people writing it clearly only understood the various tropes from the old movies, but not WHY they worked so well.
    Fundamental respect for the source material is really missing these days from writers...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Very good points, if anything seems like writers these days hate the properties they are assigned to work on and just want to do their own thing, but since they can't they try to turn what they are assigned into something else. They only want it because it has an audience and fan base. And that having that will let the studios green light it and give them money. They also think the long time fans are drones that will go with what ever they write. Not understanding if they subvert it they anger the fans or just not caring thinking their vision is better than the original.