Ten Reasons Why This Trailer Gives Me Hope For TLK

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Galvatron1998, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    Now, I understand that we have only gotten one trailer for the movie and that you cannot base the quality of a movie on the trailer alone. There are plenty of movies out there that have great trailers but are mediocre films. With that being said, I have reason to believe that, based off of this trailer and the multitude of information that has been released, this movie will be of a higher quality of the previous four and will be the first Transformers film where audiences and critics can agree that the movie was good. Looking at the trailer I came up with ten reasons why this trailer gives me hope for The Last Knight and for the future of the Transformers Cinematic Film Universe.

1.) How far along they are already: With AoE there were massive redesigns that required entirely new CGI models to be developed. With TLK characters like Optimus Prime and Bumblebee are similar enough to their AoE designs that all they would need to do is tweak the models a bit to match the newer look. The fact that they have this much CGI work done for the movie already gives me hope that they will have this movie done ahead of time (probably late May given that RotF was being worked on up until the day of the world-wide premiere).

2.) Tone: Guessing a movie's tone based on the tone of the trailer can be either easy or difficult (Guardians of the Galaxy trailer = fun, movie = fun. Iron Man 3 trailer = dark, movie = comedic yet sucky). The tone of this movie is a more serious one, similar to DotM and AoE. I believe that if the Transformers movies are to progress they should not fall back into the mindset of "It's a kids toy movie so it's supposed to be fun". A more serious and coherent story for this movie franchise would be well received if done correctly.

3.) Humans Versus Transformers: I know this plot point has been done multiple times before but never to the extent of what is shown in the trailer. Ever since the very first movie tensions between humans and Transformers has been rising, with AoE showing us just how far some humans will go. In this movie, however, they go even further then Cemmetary Wind (which was a group of black ops working outside of the chain of command) and have an entire military force (the TRF) attacking both Autobots and Decepticons. It appears in the trailer that Bumblebee attacks a human-made Transformers as well, meaning that the KSI plot thread may still be still alive. Speaking of which...

4.) Continuity: One of the biggest complaints among Transformers fans (and audiences in general) is that these movies just make up events as these movies go along and do not bother to plan ahead. It appears that this movie plans to remedy that situation by bringing back characters like William Lennox, acknowledging the battle of Chicago from DotM, and continuing the stories of characters like Cade Yeagar. The writers room also reportedly mapped out the entire cinematic universe and connected the previous four movies to the current ones, meaning a more coherent universe may be taking shape.

5.) Wide shots: This is a minor one but a lot of the shots in the trailer were wide shots and the camera was steady throughout the duration of the trailer. The clips of Optimus Prime in space were gorgeous to see on a big screen in HD so I expect the movie to have a lot of great shots like this as well.

6.) Anthony Hopkins: The Transformers movies have brought in several talented actors but, in many cases, they were not used to the full extent of their talent. Hearing Sir Anthony Hopkins, who is a highly respected and well known actor, narrating this trailer and seeing him for a few seconds makes me think that Hopkins will not be some side character and will be featured fairly heavily in this movie. While not much is known about his role in the movie he appears to be more interesting than "a government official who doen't like Transformers" or "an employer who wants to hire the main protagonist".

7.) The humans: Yes you read that right. So far I can already tell that the humans in this movie will be better than the previous four sets of human characters. We have a strong female lead in Isabel Moner's character who wants to fight instead of run. We have Cade Yeagar who is on the run from the TRF because he is helping the Transformers. We have Laura Haddock's character who is more than just sex appeal considering she is wearing actual clothes. And we have Anthony Hopkins' character, who appears to have ties to the ancient days of knights as well as the early Transformers. All of the humans appear to be heavily involved in the movie which is fine so long as they are not at the center of the entire flick.

8.) They are doing something with Optimus Prime's character: Movieverse Optimus Prime has been a figure of controversy among fans for years due to his bloodthirsty nature and his brutal fighting techniques. He has, however, remained a fairly consistent character with each movie pushing him closer and closer to the edge. In this trailer we see that Optimus Prime has been "turned to the darkside" and we see him battling Bumblebee. Two protagonists fighting amongst each other is something we have not yet seen in the movieverse (although we've seen plenty of it in 2016 films). Optimus Prime is moving past the whole "noble and courageous shtick and his character is finally going to be explored more.

9.) Unicron and the Quintessons: One question that I will sometimes get from non-fans that I know is "how were the Transformers created?" This movie seems to have an answer to that question that will ultimately result in a unique antagonist in the form of the Creators. The backstory of the Transformers and their relationship with Earth is also going to be explored which could be fairly interesting. And it's worldbuilding and that's always a plus in fiction. Oh, and if Unicron shows up fans and audiences alike will be in for a treat (kind of like how Earth will be a treat for Unicron :) ).

10.) Fanservice: Like him or not, Michael Bay has proven that he takes certain criticisms to heart and can improve upon them in the next films. Whether it be more robot screentime, less crude and obnoxious humor, or more references to the past generations of Transformers, Michael Bay has proven that he does listen to the fans at some point or another. Seeing as how this will be his last Transformers film (until he receives his nect big paycheck) Michael Bay will want to go out with a big bang. The shot in space is reminiscent of the 1986 movie scene with Megatron in space. We have Hot Rod, the Dinobots, Headmasters, Quintessons, mini-Dinobots, evil Optimus Prime, Unicron (potentially) and more robots than ever before all in one movie. Who would have thought ten years ago that this is the direction that the movieverse would be heading.
    What are your thoughts on this trailer (I mean, it's not like we have 42 pages of that already) and have your opinions on whether or not you will see the movie or not changed? Thanks for reading all of this BTW. I truly appreciate it :) .

• Like Like x 6
  2. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    I hear you. Good read. I loved the trailer and I am a huge movieverse fan. I just worry that given the past 3 films...i think 2007 did a fair job of representing itself...a serious tone is undermined by Bay with some of his "decisions" cough: Hot Rod has a French accent, because I like the accent: cough

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    It's impossible for any TF sequel to avoid walking a path that the prior movie(s) did, so the instances that seemed repetitive are just going to have to be an acceptable aspect of the series. But you're right, there are many, many noticeable differences to how this movie was approached. They get respect for that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I want to believe!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I'm cautiously optimistic about this film, but I do disagree with many points you presented.

Tone: Just look at how much flak the DC films have gotten for their bleak tone. Freaking Batman V Superman underpeformed, at least compared to expectations, and DC has been struggling to rectify this mistake. Do you really think that a franchise based around toys is better suited for a bleak tone? Darker tones have been done to death, and the more serious the tone of your movie is, the more it opens the film up to criticism. It creates expectations for expertly written characters, going through a well thought out story, with a deep message. Just having a lighter tone, and trying to have fun is easier, and when Micheal Bay is at the helm, it really is what they should be going for, not bleak and serious.

Humans VS TF: Come on, we've had two films with this as a major element already. We don't need another one. AOE covered this perfectly, ending with one of the villainous humans realizing you can't just build replacement Autobots, and the other villainous human dying. We don't need to repeat this story line. It creates fear that the writers room doesn't have any better ideas than Kruger, and that human villains will distract from the Decepticons.

Unicron: If Unicron truly is in this film, then that's worrying. Unicron shouldn't be at the very beginning of a Cinematic Universe. He's the ultimate destructive force. The Devourer of Worlds, the Chaos Bringer. He should be saved up for much further down the line, much like Thanos in the MCU. If he's being brought in at the very beginning of the TFCU, that indicates the writers don't know how to pace themselves.

Still, I do have hope for this film. The fact they do have so much CGI already finished is a good sign that they have been, and will continue to be working on the CGI for a long time, indicating there's a lot of it in this film, even compared to previous installments. That would mean there's a chance the sub TF might not be underused, and the increased Dinobot screen time, and flashbacks to early Cybertron might not drain away the budget for the main 'Bots and 'Cons screen time in present day.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    Thanks for your thoughts. When it comes to tone I feel that Transformers should not be grim dark but also have a bit of depth to it. And don't make jokes just to make jokes. One of the biggest problems I have with current Marvel movies (The Avengers 1 & 2 specifically) is that sometimes it feels like the movie is just joking to joke (like the whole "language" thing in the Age of Ultron opening). I feel that were they real life people and in that situation they would not be cracking jokes in the middle of a fight.

The whole human versus Transformers thing, while it has been done twice before, has not been done justice yet IMO. There are several different angles and places you could take that specific type of storyline. I admit that after this movie they need to rest the whole "government conspiracies and shady business" stuff, though.

As for Unicron, introducing him now is a bit early but I feel that they can make it work. There are several other villains from the lore to choose from and, while he is the biggest treat the franchise has ever seen, Unicron does not necessarily have to be the last resort when it comes to big bads in media.

7. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

• Like Like x 2
  8. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I want to share your enthusiasm and optimism but we've been dragged through the Bayforming grinder 4 times now and nothing has changed, nothing.

Every movie has been too long. Every movie has had moments sure but never a compelling story. Except AoE we're yet to have a truly great villain. The movies usually start out fine but just go off the rails about halfway through.

I hope this one is different but I'm 99% certain that no-one gets it right on the 5th try.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The trailer and the news from the set hasn't really changed my bad feeling.

We have a producer throwing around the words "soft reboot" after the last movie was supposed to be a soft reboot. If this film doesn't burn up the box office in the way Paramount hopes will the next movie also be a "soft reboot"?

Not really fond of the more serious tone either. While the Transformers movies have been bad at least you could say well it's a fun bad. A dark serious bad is a much tougher slog than being able to say well hey at least I did have some fun with part of the movie. Plus it's not like they weren't throwing around the buzz words of dark, grim, gritty, before only to have something that didn't work out well.

Just not seeing anything or hearing anything so far that make me feel like this is the time that it will be a movie for someone like me. While they might have plans for loads and loads of movies it still feels like they are stumbling around in the dark when it comes to expanding the box office beyond their current fan base. It would be really nice if my gut feeling was completely wrong and it was a movie for everyone but right now it just feels like a movie just for the people who have liked everything so far.

• Like Like x 1