Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Toys Discussion

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Triggerhappy, Feb 1, 2012.

1. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    yeah once again not to :horse: but i blame Target for how hard the disguise pack is to find and the way it's being handled, also i know i have limited time left to decide if i'm going to pay $200 for the S7 4pk as 2k3 base customs

• Like Like x 2
  2. Remnant55

Remnant55 Well-Known Member

Just preorder the S7 turtles from BBTS and essentially delay the decision. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  3. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    I have seen the NECA TMNT Frog 2-pack in massive quantities in Targets around me these past couple weeks, and yet the Disguise 4-pack...I only came across some scalpers buying the entire case of once. Otherwise, not seen that set at all.

• Like Like x 1
  4. redrum2581

Ebay:
    s7 has the cheaper price and all 4 bros at once

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Been a while since I posed my Playmates TMNT Classic Collection turtles. Forgot what scale these guys are supposed to be, 7”, 7.5”? They’re big. I know the styling is a hybrid from various takes but the way the eyes are sculpted and painted makes the turtles look like they’re questioning where they came from as well like, which series are we actually homaging?

Lack of rocker ankle tilt(angled peg instead of the ankle being plugged in from the top) limits poseability some. However the ankle hinge upwards isn’t obstructed much by the shin, unlike most other ankle hinges I’ve seen in other lines. The hips ball joints are at an angle yet the hips move fairly well, so their design is somewhat innovative as I didn’t expect that kind of range.

Plastic felt softer than the kind typically used on Playmates turtles which I found to be odd. It’s fairly durable though. Trying to decide on if I’ll replace these with the S7 Ultimates. They homage different versions(S7 Ultimates directly homage the original toyline) while these ones were a hybrid modernization by Playmates. Might boil down to if the S7 Ultimate Turtles can pose close to, if not better, than the TMNT Classic Collection turtles.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Remnant55

Remnant55 Well-Known Member

Ah true and tax free (for me at least compared to BBTS)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    @Shin Densetsu I'm not sure what scale they were going for at Playmates with TMNT Claasics. If you look at the Turtles the line appears to be 7" scale. However, if you look at Bebop and Rocksteady (as well as the unproduced Krang and Shredder) the line appears to be 6" scale. So either Playmates made the Turtles too big or they made their villains too small.

As far as if it's worth upgrading to the S7 Turtles... having owned the Playmates Classics for a long while I can say it's well worth it. The Playmates Classics stuff isn't bad, but it just always left me lukewarm. The S7 figures are well sculpted, have similar articulation, and are insanely heafty and sturdy. The only thing I wish S7's Turtles had that Playmates' Classics Turtles do is the balljointed upper torso... however they do make up for it with a waist swivel under the shell. Overall I'd say it's going to be about which style you prefer as I can see pros and cons between both sets for some people.

At the end of the day if you just want to scratch that nostalgia itch and have a cool swt of the four Turtles I think either Playmates or S7 would be fine. But if you're looking to build out a collection of more than just Turtles like I am S7 is probably going to be more reliable at giving you diverse character offerings beyond just repainting and re-releasing their ten year old Turtle molds for the 5th/6th time and maybe throwing you a bone or two in between Turtle releases.

• Like Like x 2
  8. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I think my main issue, and probably only issue, with the Playmates turtles is that they just don't fit any established aesthetic other than their own. That's not a bad thing, per se, but I just don't feel much drive to collect all of them. Honestly, between the NECA movie and toon turtles and the SHF turtles, I kinda feel like I have my bases covered. I do have an S7 Donny on order, so, I'll get my S7 fix as well.

• Like Like x 2
  9. fujishig

fujishig Well-Known Member

The shipping is killer though.

10. redrum2581

Ebay:
    yeah $17 sheesh

actually i think they were going for toy scale 1/12, like you mentioned the whole theme is a hybrd of looks, theirs some toy design in their some toon in there that causes them to have no really homage.....beyond 1980s toy scale where almost every figure regardless of any media was the same size. I remember people complaining for and against this with S7 toy inspired line

• Like Like x 2
  11. grayfox

grayfox Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I now have a new desktop background :) 
    That picture is just amazing!

12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 3
  13. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

14. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    I really liked the Playmates TMNT Classics turtles but it left a real bitter feeling after they fucked me twice on wholesale orders. That and neither wave seeming to hit retail stores here at all. Those two packs are never going to happen. They'll advertise them for awhile to hype people up and then they'll let it fizzle out. If anything comes of it, it'll be NECA/Target "blink and you missed it" bullshit all over again.

Ugh. I should probably just stop collecting toys at this point. I liked the early TMNT cartoon but in the grand scheme of things the toyline is so far down my list I'm only looking at it because I want to collect _something_ and it's impossible to collect my top 10 choices and I know TMNT would be more of the same. After S7 delivers their April sometime in 2025, I'm out.

• Like Like x 1
  15. redrum2581

Ebay:
    Ok I officially went in on the s7 4pk, 2k3 TMNT coming 2022.....

• Like Like x 8
  16. Bryan Thornton

Bryan Thornton Well-Known Member

Sad to say they got me too. Fomo pushed me to buy it. Figured by the time they arrive maybe I will warm up to that style and if not then I will sell them on.

• Like Like x 2
  17. redrum2581

Ebay:
    Well if it wasn't for watching someone discussing them looking like the 2k3 TMNT, they wouldn't even be on my radar, but the person in questioned wonder if the 2k3 TMNT was based on the classic toy colors since they shared the skin tone with them and the white out eyes and I haven't been unable to see that now and so here we are sigh oh well $200 for my fav iteration of the TMNT isn't bad, pretty much what I paid for the revoltech '12 series

18. Unicron129

Unicron129 Well-Known Member

Anyone else still waiting for B&R from Neca? This is the last month of Q2, but their email didnt mention they were shipping yet.

19. Tyrannozord27

Tyrannozord27 Well-Known Member

No news on the disguise set re-releases? :( 

20. Chrg

Chrg RH Creations

The 2nd wave is starting to be found across the country. I’ve seen reports of New Jersey, some midwest, Texas, California and I was finally able to find my set in Washington.

• Like Like x 3