Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie 30th Anniversary!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by MetalRyde, Mar 30, 2020.

1. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

March 30, 1990 was the release of the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. I remember seeing that Nickelodeon was having a contest to see the movie and then a pizza party.

I was 6 at the time and I wanted to see it but my parents were too busy working at the time so I had to wait for the VHS copy.
    When I did see it blew my little mind, I couldn't stop watching it. My dad saw there was a coupon with the VHS movie and got a personal pizza. Man pizza back then were delicious.

Anyone have any experience/memories of the movie at the time? Would you like to share them? And any trivia about the movie?

The suits for the Turtles and Splinter were created by Jim Henson's Creature Shop. Unfortunately Jim Henson passed away shortly after the movie premiered.

Actor Kevin Clash voiced Master Splinter who is also famous for voicing Elmo on Sesame Street.

The movie is actually a Independent movie.

Enjoy Turtle Power by Partners in Kryme

• Like Like x 6
  2. Nightwing

Nightwing Well-Known Member

You could watch it live with Kevin Eastman on FB today.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I’ve only seen it twice- both times when I was a kid (11years old at the time), but I LOVED it. The tag line for the Christopher Reeves Superman movie was, “you will believe a man can fly.” Likewise, TMNT made me believe that the turtle bros could be real. They made them feel like real, living, breathing people & not just cartoon characters.

The turtles were awesome. Shredder was awesome. Casey Jones was awesome. April was cute & cool. Splinter was cool. The whole movie is solid & fun.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Secret of the Ooze is the one I remember watching the most, maybe because it was more kid friendly and accessible to young me. But 1990 is still the classic. Henson’s workshop really outdid themselves. Hell even some practical work even with the budget of a Star Wars film can’t do what Henson did for 1990. These guys were legitimately fighting and doing stunts and stuff in the Turtle outfits and they looked like they were really there. Which they were, of course, but you know? This felt like a world the Turtles and Splinter could exist in.

The Shredder remains a terrifying villain and is such a presence. That incredible entrance with his shadow and everything was astounding. And his calm, controlled fight at the end. He absolutely knows that he is in charge. He’s patient. He wants to see what the Turtles are all about first. He doesn’t even really get supervillainy with his gloating until he has Leo dead to rights.

The action is great. The Turtles, Splinter, and Shredder are all great. Casey and April are great. Tatsu is great. The gritty atmosphere and score is great. I still remember that synthesizer-heavy track that plays whenever the fighting gets serious like in April’s burning apartment or with the Shredder. As a kid it grabbed me: shit was getting real.

And really, seeing a scene like Splinter consoling a silent, crying Raph about his anger is so damn powerful. You can never say that the Turtles in that movie are just special effects like in something like Bay’s Transformers.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This is by far the best of any of the TMNT movies, animated or otherwise. I loved the cartoon and was obsessed with this movie coming out. I remember having a mini version of the movie poster that my dad got me and I stared at it for hours. The poster came out before the first trailer and was our first little glimpse of what they would look like in live action. It was awesome.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Cool little video about the heart & soul of the 1990 movie. I feel like this guy identified what makes this more than just another big-screen adaptation of a cartoon or comic & made it memorable even as newer, flashier movies come & go.

• Like Like x 2
  7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    When i was young, I saw this before I saw the 87 series. I think I got confused and thought the cartoon was based on the film.

Anyway, this was a great adaptation. The characters were well-developed, the storyline did a good blend of the TMNT comics with the TMNT cartoon, and the VFX hold up fairly decently thanks to a great puppet crew and superb editing (the editor was Sally Menke, who later became Tarantino's favourite editor to use on his films up to 2009).

And I consider Kevin Clash one of my favourite Splinter voices.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Another great retrospective in honor of its 30th anniversary.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy As cool as the earth is blue!

"COME BACK HERE! I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU! DAMN!
    it's on Netflix.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Yep. I think I’m going to watch it tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Loved it when I saw it in theaters as a kid, appreciate it as a underrated good comic book movie later in life. Makes me wish they stuck with the Utrom angle for "Secret of The Ooze".

• Like Like x 1
  12. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    tmnt8.png

• Like Like x 4
  13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    My green VHS of this movie is still haunting a storage box somewhere - I refused to give it up.

Everyone here has already covered why the movie is great. It blends the more distinct personalities of the turtles from the cartoon with the more emotional beats from the first few issues of the comic. Raphael in particular gets several very emotionally affecting scenes with Splinter and Leo. However instead of angry Uncle Phil we have a Shredder who may be only a step or so removed from his comic counterpart as a successful gangster and his fight against all four of the turtles is a thing of beauty if you understand martial arts. It’s a sublime movie and a sublime adaptation.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Saw it opening night when I was 15. I have never seen 2 and 3. As soon as I saw Vanilla Ice in the trailer with that go ninja go ninja go I was like fuck it, I'm done.

15. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    It’s been a long time, but I remember the fight with Shredder being kind of slow & grounded. Like- he wrecked them without barely moving from his spot. You could tell he was in complete control of the fight & exuded confidence. But once Splinter showed up & made him lose his cool, it was all over. It was an awesome fight.

It’s the kind of fight that would never get made in a movie today, because they weren’t flying all over the screen with a million flashy backflips & quick cuts of every strike.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Turtle Power!

17. TheWarPathGuy

Watching it now, it's cool, even if it's goofy and dated. I'll come back once it ends. I see why most people view it as the best TMNT movie.
    I'll leave this here:

18. TheWarPathGuy

I watched the movie, it's good! Really good. Probably the best TMNT movie. It's fun, the Turtles have alot of screentime, and April was cool. The turtles had development, and seeing them try to mature without Splinter gives them depth. Shredder wasn't threatening, but he was awesome.
    The movie wasn't perfect though. Donatello really had no moments for himself (none I can remember anyway.) The final fight with Shredder is underwhelming, but it's alright. And, really no bad.
    I can see why people love this movie so much. I think it's miles better than Out of the Shadows and TMNT. This is how you make a TMNT movie.

Also T.U.R.T.L.E. Power's lyrics are wrong. Leonardo is the leader, not Raphael.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    "I made a funnie!!"

• Like Like x 5
  20. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    I had no idea how much nostalgia I had for this song until I heard it again today.

I used to own the soundtrack on cassette & listen to it every day. But that was 30 years ago. I haven’t heard it since the summer of 1990. Man. Just waves of nostalgia and memories hitting me.

• Like Like x 2